It is currently 14 Dec 2019

Like the Mirror shifting thing?
Hell yes. It should be done like this in EVERY Silent Hill! 5%  5%  [ 6 ]
It was good. I wouldn't mind seeing it again. 35%  35%  [ 46 ]
It was alright. I don't think I want it back, though. 55%  55%  [ 72 ]
I wipe SHIT on your mirrors. BLAH! 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 131

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject: Would anyone like to see the mirror mechanic return?

Missing since: 01 Apr 2005
Notes left: 699
Would anyone like to see the mirror mechanic return in future Silent Hill titles?

I personally wouldn't. And here's why:

Although it was pretty cool being able to shift realities at will, I eventually grew tired of having to switch between the two. Having two maps, and therefore two potential locations in which a particular room, item or puzzle could be located wasn't particularly fun on a second playthrough.
This also meant that - because you possess two maps that need to overlay nicely to make sense - you didn't see particularly dramatic changes to the Otherworlds layout. Remember Silent Hill 3? Heather had to draw extra rooms onto the map. Not so with Origins.

Secondly, being able to turn it on and off, the 'arrival' of the Otherworld wasn't a dramatic 'Oh, shit! Not this again!' moment. It reduced a world made of subconscious fears and desires into nothing more than a puzzle format.

Finally, Travis seems to have a mirror 'theme' going on, so it probably wouldn't be appropriate for any.

Opinions? Discuss?

Last edited by D90 on 12 Dec 2007, edited 1 time in total.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 May 2007
Notes left: 959
Last seen at: a dead cloverfeild...
Quote:
Travis seems to have a mirror 'theme' going on

so does heather. When she looks at mirrors it makes her feel uneasy. I liked the concept. But the concept only applied to Alessa and Travis and would not be apropriate in future installments.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Dec 2007
Notes left: 33
I agree with the OP.

Even though it was good for the game itself (Travis' character in relation with his mother, general mechanism of the game's puzzles, etc), it's not something that'd fit in all Silent Hill games. Much like how it was with Henry wiggling in and out of a hole to enter/leave his apartment, or the first-person perspective elements of that particular title. It works great for that specific game.. as it fits with what is being said. As said above as well, there's also a large mirror theme spanning across the games... so this just being in one game fits with the series enough to be applicable.

I also found it to be more of an annoyance to go through a mirror to the Otherworld than an 'Oh, shit!' reaction from the other games. I prefer the 'Oh, shit!' reaction, because then at least it's dragging me kicking and screaming. ;)

I do agree, as well, with the concept of the Otherworld not 'changing' too much. Like how there were rooms where there were no rooms before, or a wall where there was no wall before... but it wasn't too big of a 'thing' to be problematic.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Jan 2004
Notes left: 3941
Last seen at: Naaarwich, UK
At first I thought I was going to hate the mirror mechanic in SH:O but in the end it actually worked quite well. The effect looked cool, it filled me with dread everytime I changed because I was unsure how everything would now be like and worked well for some of the puzzles. However I wouldn't like it to return for another SH game because like people have stated it put too much control in our hands and had a bit of a "we can't be bothered to make a long game so let's make two version's of everywhere in SH4" feel to it.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Nov 2005
Notes left: 289
Last seen at: Seattle
Aside from it becoming a little tiresome after just a couple passes, I'm not too into the idea of someone being able to flip Silent Hill on and off like a light switch. It deflates the oppressive sense of your fate held at its whim. When you're in Silent Hill, you're its bitch. It decides when things get dirty, not you.

Patience is the darkest side of power.

Post subject:

I think it was a good idea to streatch the length of the game on the PSP, i mean all it was, is just putting a different skin over what youve already been through...and possibly blocking off some areas.

Good for the PSP, probably annoying for consoles

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Jun 2007
Notes left: 694
I liked it because it bent the rules. Travis proved to be stronger(both physically and mentally) than anyother main character by being able to freely switch between the two worlds. Something that even some cult members can't do.

It wasn't SH-lish, but it still gave you the feeling that you can still keep pushing forward because you can and have the authority (not being the boss, by being able to travel without tickets).

I'm not sure if it has created further philosiphy or not, but I think that we now know a way of transport between the two worlds other than dying or having to kill a boss at the end of each stage.

Quote:
Good for the PSP, probably annoying for consoles

^

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 May 2005
Notes left: 318
Last seen at: On a rusty Rollercoaster ride
It was alright, but good for just one SH. Just keep it unique ;)

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 03 Jul 2006
Notes left: 47
I really hope it won't return, it was a nice idea but for silent hill? not really.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Jul 2004
Notes left: 87
Last seen at: Sweden
I enjoyed the concept partly, hated it partly. Great for the puzzle-thing, but because of the same detail it made the game lose too much of the adventure-feel. :/

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Sep 2007
Notes left: 847
Last seen at: alchemilia
i found it interesting but i would not continue it. there were times i found it annoying. like in the sanitarium. i however loved the game so do not get me wrong.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Feb 2006
Notes left: 731
Last seen at: Australia
It was a cool/interesting concept and worked well for this game. But I think it's time has past and they should return to the way it use to be.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Jul 2005
Notes left: 1421
Last seen at: room 302
Lifetolifeless wrote:
Aside from it becoming a little tiresome after just a couple passes, I'm not too into the idea of someone being able to flip Silent Hill on and off like a light switch. It deflates the oppressive sense of your fate held at its whim. When you're in Silent Hill, you're its bitch. It decides when things get dirty, not you.

Yeah, that's my main complaint. I did enjoy it for this game, but I wouldn't want to see it again.

Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Jul 2004
Notes left: 2099
Last seen at: Australia
I wouldn't say the mirrors were unique to Travis. Silent Hill 2 opens with the protagonist examining himself in a mirror, and in SH3 things went to shit when Heather examined a mirror.

I wouldn't mind seeing it again, but I'd like it to be modified. The constant need to shift was frustrating and the fact Travis controlled the otherside went against the grain of the game.

I would prefer it to be an optional extra feature to be unlocked, for the purpose of exploring at the player's leisure, maybe to unlock a secret document that explains something you couldn't find out the first time. I certainly don't want it to return as a part of the main plot.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Jun 2006
Notes left: 357
I would have to say... This one time was fine, I wouldn't like to see them back though.

Part of the fun of the games (for me) was never knowing when the alternate reality would force you back into it.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 13 Aug 2007
Notes left: 23
mmm maybe just in the game where the story is before SH1 (to represent the control in the 2 worlds XD?)

but in a more recent time/line, it was fine

but it'0s to chained to the story,it'll be cool, to change in worlds randomly, like travis flashbacks, but more randomly XDD,

like -WalkinG- Noise (maybe sirens)- and the envioroment begin to change, later a certain time (but no affeced by actions in game, completly random), return to the normal plane.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 13 Dec 2007
Notes left: 17
I would like to see it back as some sort of puzzle or one time thing in another game to be sort of an omage, but not as a main gameplay feature.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Feb 2007
Notes left: 228
Last seen at: Motel
I wouldn't mind seeing it again, but I understand how it has it's place in the game and among the other games.

This was before Alessa got more powerful, so the decent to the otherworld was much more tidy and descrete. Move through the mirror. By the time Harry got to Silent Hill, she was able to be a little more, ah, abrupt with transformations.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Apr 2005
Notes left: 699
DemonZer0 wrote:
mmm maybe just in the game where the story is before SH1 (to represent the control in the 2 worlds XD?)

but in a more recent time/line, it was fine

but it'0s to chained to the story,it'll be cool, to change in worlds randomly, like travis flashbacks, but more randomly XDD,

like -WalkinG- Noise (maybe sirens)- and the envioroment begin to change, later a certain time (but no affeced by actions in game, completly random), return to the normal plane.

Ergh, learn to type...

Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Dec 2004
Notes left: 2560
Last seen at: Insomnia land, where I am Queen!
They could bring it back for a puzzle in a future game, but like a lot of you said, not as a main plot device. I thought it was pretty inventive of them to come up with the mirror idea, but it was a little frustrating and it took away from the "Oh, crap, here we go again!" feeling.
Maybe in a future game, there can be a puzzle where you have to cross over into a mirror world that is not necessarily the other world, and move things into place between the 2 mirror realities or something.

Peachy's Predictions on Tumblr
Peachy's Predictions. on LiveJournal