Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 31 Oct 2020

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: The Sounds of Silent Hill

Missing since: 12 Mar 2008
Notes left: 4
Last seen at: The Red Dimension
Okay, so... reading the rules and having looked through the quick links, I haven't quite seen a thread like the one I'm going to make here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Basically.... There are a LOT of sounds in Silent Hill. Most of which a player just doesn't notice on a quick run through. Some one person notices and another one doesn't, some everyone hear. This is the place to post the notable of them that you've heard, see if other people gave gotten them, etc.

The sounds I've heard.

Lakeview Hotel: Going up the staircase to the third floor, if the grate isn't open on the door. I rattled it once, and just when I was about to go back down, I heard Mary call out 'James!' VERY faintly. I tried to check it twice but it wouldn't do it for me again, so I figured it might be one of those random things or a one time only, you have to have the ears of a bat to hear it noise.

So has anyone else had this noise or any other? Don't be shy, I know I love hearing these things, even if the noise is really insignificant XD

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1299
The town is full of weird and creepy sounds; it's all a part of the programmers' intention to make the game atmosphere as unsettling as they possibly can. Ditto with the environments (filthy bathrooms, cemeteries, blood-splattered apartments, abandoned mental hospitals, prisons, morgues, catacombs, slaughterhouses, and burnt-out hotels to name a few). Not to mention the freakish-looking monsters. Even the humans you meet are sort of creepy.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Notes left: 1323
Last seen at: Minnesota
I heard the Mary sound. I nearly crapped my pants when I did. I even rattled the gate a few times to try and see if it would go again.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 14 Sep 2006
Notes left: 188
Last seen at: Samos isle, Greece
Yep, I've heard the "Mary" sound too, in the hotel. Another thing is the random glass-breaking sound in one of the patients' room in the first floor of Brookhaven hospital.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Apr 2006
Notes left: 865
Last seen at: Seattle, WA
This thread is about noises in the hospital basement.
This thread is about a whisper you can hear in the apartments.

There are more...

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Oddish wrote:
The town is full of weird and creepy sounds; it's all a part of the programmers' intention to make the game atmosphere as unsettling as they possibly can. Ditto with the environments (filthy bathrooms, cemeteries, blood-splattered apartments, abandoned mental hospitals, prisons, morgues, catacombs, slaughterhouses, and burnt-out hotels to name a few). Not to mention the freakish-looking monsters. Even the humans you meet are sort of creepy.

Well yes, obviously. It wouldn't be a scary game without those elements and it wasn't my intention to sound as if I needed a reminder on that. >> I know well it's meant to have a creepy environment, does it hurt if I want to know all the places and things that make it even creepier?

Adratsteia wrote:
This thread is about noises in the hospital basement.
This thread is about a whisper you can hear in the apartments.

There are more...

I know well about those two threads. That wasn't my intention with this, as stated above, to have a thread about only ONE sound, though. I checked through all the quick links and skimmed over the first page or so and found nothing that encompassed ALL the sounds. Everything was just about one or two.

My thread is about the harder to hear sounds. The ones that you don't notice through every play through that you might just want other people to hear. It's to make more fun, not to beat down other heavily discussed noises or things like that. Unfortunately, I've happened to just not have heard any other noises that weren't obvious.

As for the others that heard the sounds... great! It's not just in my head. XD I think the glass breaking sound in the hospital plays every time, though. I know there's an extensive thread on that one somewhere.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Aug 2006
Notes left: 22
I bought a surround sound system, and I've heard alot of random little noises. Like there was one time I was walking upstairs in the Hospital, it was mostly silent until I heard this rat squeal. Also, I cant remember where I was, but when I entered this one room, I heard faint whispering all around me.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

I should try the game using a better sound system than the crappy circa 1980's TV I currently use. Preferably late at night. And then be ready to sleep with the light on for the next week...

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

I have surround sound, so in Restless Dreams, [spoiler]when Amy falls out of the window[/spoiler] i nearly shat myself. =D

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Sep 2003
Notes left: 82
Last seen at: Ft Qu'appelle, sask.
who the hell is amy? and where did they fall out the window? and what part exactly did this happen?

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

...Please put that in spoiler marks.
In the Mini-plot, which you get in the Greatest Hits version of the game, you...Well, you'll have to play it to find out. ;D

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Sep 2003
Notes left: 82
Last seen at: Ft Qu'appelle, sask.
ahhh, of course, i forgot about that, sorry about that, and did anyone ever notice: in silent hill 1, when your in the nowhere, and you come to that confusing basement, in one of those rooms where you get the "good copy" of lisa's video tape, there is the sound of glass breaking constantly, and some very faint whispering!

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Mar 2008
Notes left: 1
keepness wrote:
ahhh, of course, i forgot about that, sorry about that, and did anyone ever notice: in silent hill 1, when your in the nowhere, and you come to that confusing basement, in one of those rooms where you get the "good copy" of lisa's video tape, there is the sound of glass breaking constantly, and some very faint whispering!

Yeah I remember that one. Pretty scary! =)

Also in the Alternate Hospital, there's a lot of scary sounds when you walk near some windows...

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

I have a bad sound system too... either that or a lot of noise going on XD So most of these I had no idea! Glad to hear about them! I always love hearing about the hospital sounds too.... it seems to me like they try more there >>

In any event, me and a friend have been discussing the splatting of the Lying figures as they walk, also. That's really obvious as a noise, of course, but we're trying to figure out if they wear boots or no.

Yes, I know... odd discussion.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Aug 2006
Notes left: 1775
Last seen at: Rhode Island
adc1432 wrote:
I bought a surround sound system, and I've heard alot of random little noises. Like there was one time I was walking upstairs in the Hospital, it was mostly silent until I heard this rat squeal. Also, I cant remember where I was, but when I entered this one room, I heard faint whispering all around me.

I think you're referring to the little black shadow in the hospital's basement, next to the room with the ladder where you get a ring.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Mar 2006
Notes left: 761
Last seen at: Alternate Madison, WI
I want to hear these sounds without having to go through the trouble of finding the game, though I would like to have it.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

I know what you mean... SH2 was easy enough for me to find, but I haven't seen 1 or 3 anywhere.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Oddish wrote:
I know what you mean... SH2 was easy enough for me to find, but I haven't seen 1 or 3 anywhere.

Same, although I could have sworn I saw 3 in a Gamestop...

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Aug 2006
Notes left: 22
After I got the key from the suitcase in room 202, when I was walking down the hall I heard weeping as I rounded the corner. Sounded like a woman, it was near room 207 i believe.

Oddish wrote:

I usually see sh3 at gamestop. Costs $30 though.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Aug 2006
Notes left: 1775
Last seen at: Rhode Island
Yeah, at a Gamestop near me they only had SH3