Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 23 Sep 2019

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: SH4 the black sheep of the series?

Missing since: 05 Jan 2006
Notes left: 217
Last seen at: .au
I was going to post this in the SH4 forum, but I figured they'd all be pro SH4 there and tell me I was imagining things.

Anyway, in my brief stint on these forums it seems that not many people enjoy the fourth installment of the series as much as the others, can someone tell me why they didn't enjoy it?

Personally, I thought the unkillable ghosts, swords of obedience and the 'hauntings' were quite innovative.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Jun 2005
Notes left: 100
Last seen at: england
i thought it was an exellent game the entire concept was brilliant. a great story. I thought the room 302 first person bits really added to it. i don't thi9nk it was as all out scary as the others (well 1+3) but i thought it was alot more creepier and weirder, and mysterious.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 May 2005
Notes left: 330
Silent Hill 4 for me was a fantastic game. But not as par as Silent Hill 2. Yet it's concept is quite interesting and was implemented well. The story is quite akward and you won't feel sorry for Walter in her "mother" dillema. But the story is very interesting and was alright and...

[spoiler]One of the endings (21 Sacraments) leaves out questions and events for a sequel[/spoiler]

Though not really a black sheep, I won't be surprise when some people will think so. After all, from what I heard, this game wasn't supposed to be a Silent Hill game. Since the Konami people didn't think it will gather quite an audience (or was it because the horror concept seemed like Silent Hill? I really don't remember the sayings), they decided to make this a Silent Hill game and bring Walter and Frank (and the other people who were mentioned in the other games) to make this seem like a Silent Hill game.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 03 Jan 2006
Notes left: 90
Well it was the first Silent Hill game that I was able to play entirely in a dark room without freaking out... so that's a minus for it in my book

Besides the scary point... there was no radio and no pocket flashlight which made the game alot brighter and less suspenseful imo

Also the ''otherworld'' ''hell'' or whatever you like to call scenarios where not as ''pretty''

I guess you can call it the black sheep of the series simply beacuse the grand majority of SH fans didn't like it as much as the previous Sh's

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 14 Oct 2004
Notes left: 2132
Last seen at: In the Cave of Rendezvous
Silent Hill 4 is an excellent game by itself. I cannot compare it to the previous, and I consider the first three to be somewhat of a trilogy, while Sh4 is a new approach to Silent Hill. Personally I don't get as much satisfaction from playing Sh4, compared to the others, so yeah, maybe it's the black sheep... but I think that the only thing that made Sh4 less scary is that it's to bright. If they just kept the darkness and flashlight, it would have been another tthing. Now, you see everything and it also inflicts the sound, so you alwasy see what you hear.

It wasn't scary at all... I hope they brought back the darkness in Sh5. It's the only thing I demand.

Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Jun 2005
Notes left: 7464
Last seen at: Kentucky
Well, out of the other three SH2 is the only one that has ever stuck out to me as scary and even interesting. SH4 is in it's own class, I really don't think it can be compared to the other three. I'm glad that team Silent decided to do something different. And even though it didn't have that famous radio and flashlight it did have a GREAT story. And even though most people don't like the ghost and even Henry all the characters in the game stand for something....and that makes them interesting. I do think it's the black sheep, and I do think it was a great idea. It is my favorite after all.

Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Jul 2005
Notes left: 2174
Last seen at: Plus Forty Seven Degrees 56' 37" Minus Sixteen Degrees 51' 08"
It was a good game. Full of nifty little details and other interesting, but while I was playing it, I always felt that it wasn´t a silent hill game at all. For me, Silent Hill is based on the darkness that surrounds all of the other games (characters, scenarios, creatures, storyline...), and this one was kinda lacking it: A really stupid main character, uninspired creatures... Even if the storyline was pretty decent (even though, it could get much more deeper than that). Probably Konami was trying a diferent approach to the series...a new gameplay mechanism for SH5, who knows...

Post subject:

Yeah, it did feel like a whole other game.

The first half I enjoyed immensly. My creative juices kept flowing because of inspiration, but when I was made to repeat all the levels again, I sort of lost interest. I only played through the second half to see what happens.

Overall, 4 was a nice edition to the series, and I wouldn't mind seeing Henry again, actually; just give him more oomph in the character department next time.

Post subject:

Missing since: 11 Jun 2005
Notes left: 1868
Last seen at: Finland
It IS the worst Silent Hill in the series.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Jun 2005
Notes left: 100
Last seen at: england
Piranha wrote:
It was a good game. Full of nifty little details and other interesting, but while I was playing it, I always felt that it wasn´t a silent hill game at all. For me, Silent Hill is based on the darkness that surrounds all of the other games (characters, scenarios, creatures, storyline...), and this one was kinda lacking it: A really stupid main character, uninspired creatures... Even if the storyline was pretty decent (even though, it could get much more deeper than that). Probably Konami was trying a diferent approach to the series...a new gameplay mechanism for SH5, who knows...

really about the creatures? i thought the other gamess had worse creatures in them (uninspired) the victims and double headers etc were great.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Sep 2003
Notes left: 267
OH damn! it really S-U-C-K-E-D compared to other sh's

May seem silly .. but I LOVED Silent hill 3 and thew first one of course

I hated 2 and 4 because :

Sh2 - No link to the cult or whatsoever .. and James is a big moron

Sh4 - Not EVEN in Silent Hill! and the visual treatment was not as good as Sh3's for example..

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Dec 2005
Notes left: 221
Last seen at: Heaven's Night
Overall I though the game was a decent addition to the SH franchise. Sure it felt a bit different at first, not having your flashlight or not having to depend on the radio to know if an enemy was close or not, but it grows on you. I really liked the story it was very deep, involving, dark, with many twist just what I would expect from a SH game. Sure at times it felt more like a cereal killer movie like Se7en with Walter Sullivan or a Nightmare on Elm Street, but it still was well done. As of the darkness I miss it too, but the darkness didn’t really play a role in the story of SH4, thus why it wasn’t included. Finally about the character of Henry, I don’t blame him for been the way he is, because remember he’s suppose to be your average Joe who got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. He didn’t lose his daughter on a foggy town, or murder his wife, or was a reincarnation of the Mother of God. Henry is just that Henry, your average guy, someone who wasn’t very social, didn’t had many friends, didn’t left the apartment much, probably unemployed or self-employed who worked at home, he loved to write and take pictures, so yeah his not your typical exciting character who had mental problems heh.

I liked and respect the way Team Silent tried to go with the game and dared to add new things to the SH franchise and help avoid SH to become another repetitive series. I would hate the day I play a SH game and feel like “Been there, done that”, just like the RE games were before RE4 came out or the Fatal Frame series which feels just like that.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Jan 2006
Notes left: 217
Last seen at: .au
MapDark wrote:
Sh2 - No link to the cult or whatsoever ..

That's exactly why I preferred it over 1 and 3.

Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Mar 2004
Notes left: 4987
Last seen at: Pits of Hell
What can I say... it didn't feel like Silent Hill at all! I didn't like the game. I spent more time trying to stay alive than trying to understand the entire story!

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Sep 2005
Notes left: 160
Henry- so bad for a protagonist. You know when you spend 4 years playing in the theatre, you learn about the strong force of the protagonist(s). Even for a videogame, it was really a bad move to erase everything from Henry to let the players express himself. That's like an actor on the scene spitting his text and waiting for the audience to cry/laugh/wince at his place. If you don't reflect emotion, how do you want people to react toward it? VGs, as art, are no exception in front of this problem.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Jul 2004
Notes left: 574
Last seen at: Exam Room
I think the only thing I didn't like in SH4 was the repetition of playing the same areas twice. Other than that I loved it.

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Nov 2005
Notes left: 1748
Last seen at: Southeast of Greenwich...somewhere sandy.
I think that people view it as the black sheep because it just
did not have the creamy goodness of the others. I loved SH4
and thought it was a great story. It just did not have the depth
or charcter developement that the others did. Seemed like they
pumped it out without taking as much time with it as previous games.
I mean if I remember correctly, SH3 came out in 2003 and within
2 months Game Informer had an atricle on SH4 which came out
only 1 year later. Maybe that helps the question a little.

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Feb 2004
Notes left: 3094
Last seen at: Deep Inside
In my opinion, it's nowhere near as good as the others.

I also read/heard that The Room was just another game made by Konami and later decieded to add it to the SH series.
I read/heard somewhere, it all could be rumors.

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Nov 2005
Notes left: 1748
Last seen at: Southeast of Greenwich...somewhere sandy.
No Gio, I read the same thing. I cannot remember where I read that
but I think that I do remember The Adversary commenting on the matter.
They were even going to put in a UFO ending but scraped it at the last moment.
I guess you can though through cheats, access a Blue stone.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jun 2004
Notes left: 76
Last seen at: MSU
I liked it. I only borrowed it for a week and beat it fully twice and viewed every ending. But it didn't feel like a Silent Hill to me for three reasons.

1. The background was too mundane. A few looping umbilical cords and someone bloody gibbrish on a rock in the forest does not a Silent Hill make. Whatever Otherworld it had was not too dramatic. Silent Hill should have a regular world, an Otherworld, and then a really otherworld. I especially liked the church in 3 where certain parts of it existed in the fog world and others in the Otherworld.

2. The camera was too far away. Silent Hill needs that "Hugging the shoulder" kind of camera angle for maximum spooky effect. It just didn't look like an SH.

3. I knocked a gum head off the screen with a baseball bat. What ever happened to the survival part of survival horror?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next