Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 08 Dec 2019

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Little Dissapointed in PS2 Version

Missing since: 09 Aug 2005
Notes left: 14
Last seen at: Almere, The Netherlands
I wish that the PS2 version wouldnt have been ported the way it is. Graphics and animation are in no way comparable to for example SH3 & SH4... I love the Silent Hill Origins they could have done better instead of just porting the PSP version straight to PS2 would have been nice to see it polished up a bit.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Jun 2008
Notes left: 1022
Last seen at: In your fridge
i thought it looked great tbh
it didn't really need anymore polish

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Feb 2004
Notes left: 3094
Last seen at: Deep Inside
I can't really compare, I only have the PS2 version and have not yet seen the PSP version.
However, I think the PS2 version graphics are pretty good. I have no complaints, in fact, I have no complaints at all, I really enjoyed playing Origins on the PS2

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Jan 2006
Notes left: 4060
Last seen at: Carrollton, TX
I'm with leftshoe and GioGio. The graphics looked just fine to me, and they've never been even a major reason I play the Silent Hill games anyway. I can still play the first game without being distracted by the dated graphics.

I'm just grateful Origins came to the PS2 at all.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Aug 2005
Notes left: 14
Last seen at: Almere, The Netherlands
Yeah but i mean seriously compare it to for example Silent Hill 3... characters and stuff just don't look as good as they could be.. I enjoyed silent hill origins and it was pretty dark but still i wasn't satisfied all the way.

Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Oct 2006
Notes left: 1910
Last seen at: Danvers Asylum
I agree with SebasC, altho I haven't played the PSP version, I can still see how the graphics would look better. It slightly looks like Origins is being stretched to fit the screen a bit :/

ImageImageImage Thank you Harrys_Girl for the Drawing Block!
[I am currently permitted to display a larger avatar thanks to my status as a supporter of SHHF]

Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Apr 2008
Notes left: 3073
Last seen at: Wisconsin
You have to remember that Silent Hill Origins was made by a newer team.
Silent Hill 3, and the others have been created by the classic team.
I think this is why you're having such a problem with the graphics.

Post subject:

Well, it WAS a psp game and they DID port the game fairly quick. I didn't mind, I think it was on par with 2 and really I had no complaints.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Jul 2008
Notes left: 979
Last seen at: Florida, United States
It was a cheap port what do you expect? Upgraded graphics and extra content?

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1323
Last seen at: Minnesota
Detective Cartland wrote:
It was a cheap port what do you expect? Upgraded graphics and extra content?

Yes.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Obviously you don't know the developers.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Dec 2006
Notes left: 341
Last seen at: Wherever my dreams lead me whilst unconcious
I don't have any complaints about the graphics. They look good to me.

Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 3382
You'd have been crazy to think that they'd significantly upgrade the graphics and animations when porting to PS2, that's about on par with remaking the entire game from scratch! You'd honestly have been asking for too much. They'd have to remodel everything, retexture, relight, and re-rig and re-animate all of that!

It was made for the PSP after all, and it's one of the best graphical handheld titles to date! The PSP isn't as powerful as the PS2 nor does UMD have the storage of DVD, but on a smaller screen they can make it look comparable to PS2 games even with lower poly models.

The game was ported to the PS2 because many fans who didn't want to buy a PSP asked for it. But anyway the game is beautiful on PSP!

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1323
Last seen at: Minnesota
jdnation wrote:
You'd have been crazy to think that they'd significantly upgrade the graphics and animations when porting to PS2, that's about on par with remaking the entire game from scratch! You'd honestly have been asking for too much. They'd have to remodel everything, retexture, relight, and re-rig and re-animate all of that!

It was made for the PSP after all, and it's one of the best graphical handheld titles to date! The PSP isn't as powerful as the PS2 nor does UMD have the storage of DVD, but on a smaller screen they can make it look comparable to PS2 games even with lower poly models.

The game was ported to the PS2 because many fans who didn't want to buy a PSP asked for it. But anyway the game is beautiful on PSP!

My thoughts exactly. I was completely blown away with how good everything looked on a handheld, especially the PSP. Sad thing is, it looks a lot better than a few PS2 games...

Post subject:

As others have said, it's just a port to the ps2... Just a quick port, had it been developed from the ground up for the PS3, I'm sure the graphics would've been on par, if not better than those in SH3/4... Not to mention there would've probably been a pc port... And the other area they were talking about that wasn't implemented. . . forgot what it was.

Either way! Things are less blurry in the ps2 version and things like facial expressions are shown much better, especially with Alessa.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 14 Apr 2006
Notes left: 318
Last seen at: Old Silent Hill
I am just glad they did a port at all

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Mar 2008
Notes left: 1482
Last seen at: Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium
Travis face was changed to the worse in the PS2 version, and they made him look like a drowsy old hot-dog vendor. He looks both better and younger on the PSP. . .

In Homecoming, it looks like the developers are basing Travis model on the PS2 version and not the PSP version, which is a pity. I, who've played 0rigins on the PSP (which it was supposed to be at) - doesn't recognize this "new" Travis at all.

Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 3382
Jonipoon wrote:
Travis face was changed to the worse in the PS2 version, and they made him look like a drowsy old hot-dog vendor. He looks both better and younger on the PSP. . .

In Homecoming, it looks like the developers are basing Travis model on the PS2 version and not the PSP version, which is a pity. I, who've played 0rigins on the PSP (which it was supposed to be at) - doesn't recognize this "new" Travis at all.

Well I believe the timeline of Homecoming is a long time after the events of 0rigins, so Travis will look a lot older. Homecoming is probably the newest and latest incarnation of Silent Hill time-wise...

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Apr 2006
Notes left: 886
Last seen at: Bath/London UK
spunkytexan wrote:
I am just glad they did a port at all

Agreed. I aint played the PSP version cause I don't own a PSP. So likewise I'm just happy to have to finally been given the opportunity to play the game at all.

And to be honest, even when you allow for the fact that 0rigins was developed for PSP, I though it looked just as decent as SH2. It properly does look like Silent Hill in both normal and otherworld. Don't really like FMV, but I must say they were really very well animated.

Perhaps one minor gripe could be that the sound was mixed to seem louder on small PSP speakers and so the soundtrack seems a bit too punchy at times and can get a bit jarring.

But ignoring that, as a port it met all my expectations and then some.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Jonipoon wrote:

You must remember that hes going to be old since its at least 2 decades later.