Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 10 Dec 2019

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject: Content Missing From Early Development?

Missing since: 16 Apr 2006
Notes left: 886
Last seen at: Bath/London UK
Anyone know what happened to this guy. I know the concept art looks a little rough, but I thought that design had a lot of potential. And I also remember seeing it in this early trailer. In fact their are quite a few monsters and other dark characters in that who don't seem to of made it into the final game. I'm glad the skeletors were ousted, but I was really looking forward to the living meat and stuff. Would have been cool to fight a masked cult member or two as well.

Kind of like SH4 where the game didn't quite deliver the promises made by the trailer.

Last edited by Breaka on 28 Jul 2008, edited 1 time in total.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Jul 2008
Notes left: 979
Last seen at: Florida, United States
I agree how the trailer looks a bit more tempting that the actual game, but uh, we never really see that wheelchair guy, all we saw was a wheelchair being pulled across the floor.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Apr 2008
Notes left: 3073
Last seen at: Wisconsin
Wow! That trailer was nothing like the final product. :(
I don't remember seeing anything from there in the game. It almost looks like they completely erased everything the did from that so far and started over. Man, some of those monsters looked pretty good.
It would be awesome to kill one of those cult members! Kind of goes alittle bit back to the first one where you actually fought nurses that actually looked like real people. I would have been interesting if there was a wheelchair guy. Why doesn't silenthillorigins.com update? If there was no intent in keeping that website updated why not just close it or hand it over to someone else. I remember seeing those guys on there.
But early designing changes. It looked like they did an almost complete 180 on the game now looking back at some older stuff.

Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Jan 2004
Notes left: 3941
Last seen at: Naaarwich, UK
It was scrapped because it was bollocks. Along with all the other rubbish ideas from those early videos and pictures.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jul 2008
Notes left: 184
Last seen at: Gennep, Limburg, Netherlands
Looking at that trailer I do notice some stuff from the final game, it all just looks different. The organs in the sink were probably from that puzzle in the hospital.
The Gillespie house (that hallway i believe) isn't burning in the trailer, so maybe you'd have visited it just before the fire.
Lots of monsters not in the final game, these look more action oriented.
And I believe most of the shots in this trailer come from the rumoredly scrapped meat-processing-centre-thing.
Completely different transformation into the otherworld by the looks of it, cracking mirrors and some strange face popping up, not very sublte.
Still, all of it looks awesome in this trailer. I too would have loved the "normal" looking cult members as enemies in the game. I like that shot of the butcher at the end. I guess the gameplay and storytelling just wasn't up to par in this version of the game.

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 7376
Last seen at: Couldn't tell you even if I tired
I have not gone back and looked at the original trailer since playing the game.

I am amazed t how different it is. The one monster, the octupus-living meat thing... I remember seeing that in the trailer and saying, "I reallllyyy don't want to fight that." but it never made it to final production.

Also, there was the scenes with a girl in a white dress dancing on the ceiling, "I thought, that will be creepy. It is live fighting the Holy Woman in White from the first game, only she gets to run around on the roof and punch you in the head." I looked forward to that.

World Toilet Organization
I'm like a circle, I'M TOO GOOD FOR CORNERS!!!

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Aug 2007
Notes left: 102
angelofROOM302 wrote:
Wow! That trailer was nothing like the final product. :(
I don't remember seeing anything from there in the game. It almost looks like they completely erased everything the did from that so far and started over. Man, some of those monsters looked pretty good.
It would be awesome to kill one of those cult members! Kind of goes alittle bit back to the first one where you actually fought nurses that actually looked like real people. I would have been interesting if there was a wheelchair guy. Why doesn't silenthillorigins.com update? If there was no intent in keeping that website updated why not just close it or hand it over to someone else. I remember seeing those guys on there.
But early designing changes. It looked like they did an almost complete 180 on the game now looking back at some older stuff.

yknow what? i think thats there problem. i dont care at all if i killed a skeleton monster or whatever, but could you imagine if you fought a nurse with a real face and everything, a real person, in modern games, just like number one? its like, theyre deliberately making them inhuman, to make it easier not to feel guilty. i think they should really look into that.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Apr 2006
Notes left: 886
Last seen at: Bath/London UK
A little off topic, but an interesting point none the less. The less human something is, the less you consider the morality of killing it. Alternatively when you mow down a few bystanders in GTA, it's fun, but you know your not really supposed to do that. But with monsters you seem to have cart blanche to gun em down.

Back on topic, despite it's hideous combat flaws, I was still very impressed with 0rigins overall. But it wasn't what I was expecting, having seen he trailer. I thought it'd be about some guy delivering meat to SH, and then the meat comes to life, and you have to fight the meat. Then at some stage you'd go into some big spooky house and go against this lady in white and these masked cult people.

I thought it would have been a bit more of a haunted house experience than it was.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Sep 2006
Notes left: 629
Last seen at: Seattle, WA
That trailer was better than I remembered it. I'm glad the material from those first gameplay vids got scrapped, though.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Jul 2008
Notes left: 36
eh that trailer was poppycock. it didnt even look like a SH game. final product was MUCH better. smart move by scrapping it and starting fresh.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Aug 2008
Notes left: 144
A lot of things from the early trailer, pictures etc. were discarded for the final product such as the fog wrapping around the truck as Travis and the apparent monsters that seem to be disembodied (held together by some small stem) to name a few.

Perhaps some of these will come into future games, the gameplay style was also changed to a more 'classic' approach.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

I think they had a more darker feel in the trailers I have no idea why they moved away from that though.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Jul 2008
Notes left: 36
yeah i wonder what that strange looking corridor with the blowing curtains was all about.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Alot of the marketing was based around the theme that Origins was a sequel before all the games. Which worked well. :)

Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Aug 2006
Notes left: 1775
Last seen at: Rhode Island
Man, I thought that trailer was badass. I'm not saying I would've liked the game to be like that but from the trailer alone it was cool to watch.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 May 2006
Notes left: 131
Last seen at: in the depths of the Lakeside Amusment Park
i think its possable the trailer was form when Team Silent had begun working on the project. before handing it off to the american developers. would explain the massive diffrence in feel

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

I remember ever Team Silent working on it..?

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Aug 2008
Notes left: 443
Last seen at: New Yerrk
I always thought that trailer looked really, really good. I hear a few people saying that it was horrid, and to each his own, but it felt very Silent Hill to me.

All things considered however, I did enjoy the finished project. Once I got enough ammunition so as to not have to worry about using melee weapons that its, then it was smooth sailing.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 May 2006
Notes left: 131
Last seen at: in the depths of the Lakeside Amusment Park
Detective Cartland wrote:
I remember ever Team Silent working on it..?

just a speculation, the drastic diffrance in look and feel would only make me assume that the concept and trailer was developed by team silent....just a thought :oops:

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Oh okay no problemo. :mrgreen: