Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 17 Sep 2019

Post subject: The Holy mother is..?

One thing I want to clarify.
The Holy Mother that Walter believes in summoning. Is this the same Holy Mother that is Alessa, mother of God, daughter of God?

The cult all worshipped the same mother, right?

Makes you sort of wonder if Dahlia hadn't failed the 21 sacraments, so decided to try to just burn Alessa instead as a last chance ditch effort. Perhaps she lacked the reciever of wisdom to complete it at the time, which arrives later in the form of Harry Mason, who is then manipulated into doing his task.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
>Is this the same Holy Mother that is Alessa, mother of God, daughter of God?
No. The Holy Mother is what the Sect of the Holy Mother called God, Lord of Serpents & Reeds, Creator of Paradise.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 03 Jan 2006
Notes left: 120
Last seen at: Salt Lake City, Utah
[spoiler]The Holy Mother is the fleshy thing Heather horks out in SH3.[/spoiler]

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jul 2003
Notes left: 221
Just the clarify, Walter believes that he is summoning his own mother, having confused the concept of the Holy Mother with his own, when in reality he is serving the cult's ambitions in summoning the thing we see from Silent Hill 3.

Post subject:

Actually, Walter thinks the room is his mother...the Holy Mother is just a good replacement.

I guess he just wants a mother, in general.

And I don't draw a distinction between the God and the Mother...they're all the same to me.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

You're right, his does think the room is his mother. But the whole point of the ritual (in his mind) was to bring that sort've abstract presence into a real manifestation. In order words to give the 'mother' he found in the room itself a physical human form.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Walter doesn't believe the Room is his mother. As a child, yes, but not now: he isn't an idiot; he knows where babies come from.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Dec 2005
Notes left: 1123
Last seen at: Wherever Mother Claudia sends me.
And thanks to Jimmy Stone Valtiel really messed his sanity up.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Nov 2003
Notes left: 436
He beleives that his mother, the room, is asleep, and that by performing the ritual his mother will wake up. I beleive it's explained through the notes (it's been about a year since I played SH4), but I do definately remember that lil' walter is seen outside, banging on the door telling his mother to wake up.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

By the time Walter begins the collection of the Ten Hearts, he doesn't care about his mother; he's doing it to awaken God.

Creator of Paradise, Lord of Serpents & Reeds = God to the Sect of the Holy Woman.
The Holy Mother = God to the Sect of the Holy Mother.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

But he's only doing that because he associates it with his own mother. It's simple, just as yourself this question - 'If Walter hadn't been left orphaned, with an obsessive drive to find a surrogate mother, would he have attempted the ritual at all?'

My suggestion is no, he wouldn't. Whether he is doing the ritual innocently or knowing that it isn't literally his mother that he's brining back doesn't really matter, it's that need for a mother of his own that drives him.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

From the General Discussion forum, in the SH3=SH5 thread:

Walter isn't an idiot: He knows The Room isn't actually his mother--he knows where babies come from--but as a child he was confused. He came to realize he was being deceived & used by High Priests & Priestesses, namely Jimmy Stone, George Rosten, and Dahlia Gillespie: they encouraged him to "awaken his mommy," in reference to God--Walter took this otherwise, literally meaning his mother.

As he aged, he learned that the Room wasn't actually his mother, that the Order lied to him. When he moved away from Wish House at the age of eighteen--to go to Pleasant River University--he began planning the Ten Hearts ceremony. Six years later, he unleashed his own plan, focusing mostly on revenge, because their subterfuge was going to be worked against them, not for: thus killing Jimmy Stone & George Rosten.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 Aug 2005
Notes left: 1523
Last seen at: Colombia
But why he still calling for his mom when is dying??

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
Because he still wants a mother. Mothers are a source of comfort, solace, warmth, etc. Just because he did the ritual, according to Adversary that is, more out of spite and malice than his childish desire to wake up his mother that doesn't mean Walter stopped craving to see her and be with her. His affections for Eileen should be evidence of this desire, I believe.

Children call out for their mothers all the time, when they're hurt or scared. Walter isn't a child but he still has that childhood desire of having a mother.

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Mar 2004
Notes left: 3526
Last seen at: Waco, Texas
That and sometimes when someone is dying they call out for their mothers, even grown men.

...like in Saving Private Ryan. :P

Post subject:

Just out of curiosity. Walter obviously had a twisted upbringing, what makes you think that he was seeking revenge against the cult rather than being an emotional regressive?

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Dec 2005
Last seen at: Heaven's Night
Kauser wrote:
Just out of curiosity. Walter obviously had a twisted upbringing, what makes you think that he was seeking revenge against the cult rather than being an emotional regressive?

Not just the cult. He wanted revenge against the world which was cruel to him.

Post subject:

Kauser wrote:

You just answered your own question.

Also because the cult used him for their own gains. They deceived and abused a child just so they could fufill their plans, and felt no remorse or shame about it. Walter, having been given "weapons" and the knowledge from the cult then turned around and used it on them.

Post subject:

Krist. wrote:
Kauser wrote:

You just answered your own question.

Also because the cult used him for their own gains. They deceived and abused a child just so they could fufill their plans, and felt no remorse or shame about it. Walter, having been given "weapons" and the knowledge from the cult then turned around and used it on them.

Not to be flip, but no I didn't answer my own question.

Clarification: What makes you think he is simply out for revenge, and not an emotional regressive (meaning a mental disorder where an individual is fully possessed of mental acuity, but has not developed emotionally, and as such remains much like a child). "Give it to me, it's mine." doesn't seem wrong to such an individual, and they wouldn't be above using complex means to obtain what they want. In such a scenario Walter could believe that performing the ritual would reunite him with his mother, not the apartment as he was told, but for an emotional regressive, it doesn't get that far into the consideration process.

Post subject:

Considering I cannot analyze the mental state of a character, I can't really argue for or against emotional regression. What I can argue is that while I recognize it as a valid idea, I don't buy into it, and that I've already explained what I believe.

And I fucking hate having to wait until this site allows me to edit my goddamn post.