Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 31 Oct 2020

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: Eddie and Angela's routes through Silent Hill

Missing since: 12 Jul 2008
Notes left: 184
Last seen at: Gennep, Limburg, Netherlands
We know James and Laura both wanted to go to the Lakeview Hotel and took two different routes to get there. On the way to the hotel through the prison and mine in the Abyss James meets up with Eddie and Angela several times, but are they actually headed to the same place James is? If not, why does James run into them on his way to the hotel?

When we meet Eddie, we get a glimpse of how he perceives his surroundings and it looks like a big freezer where I think should actually be some kind of warehouse next to the docks. When we meet up with Angela in the hotel, what should be the stairs of the hotel, looks entirely different. So what were Eddie and Angela looking for in Silent Hill and where did they actually go throughout the game?

Any theories?

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Mar 2008
Notes left: 19
Last seen at: Sweden
That's actually very intressting, i'll be thinking about that for a while..
If i think of something i'll RETURN.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Apr 2008
Notes left: 374
http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=60 One theory...

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Notes left: 3073
Last seen at: Wisconsin
I can't really come up with anything good, but I kind of thought of it as they're just following the same road that James is. Eddie's probably trying to get out, and Angela's looking for her family. So yeah, they end up being in the same areas that James is going but I guess they don't have any other route to take. It's harder to explain than I really mean though.

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11387
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Space doesn't properly exist in Silent Hill. Two characters could take the same door and end up in two different rooms.

Eddie's probably wandering around, trying to get out and finding himself in more surreal and hostile surroundings, and Angela is most likely exploring her own home.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Could work considering the abstract nature of the town in the second game, but that seems weird somehow. James would be the only one actually exploring the town in a sort of normal form. Why would that be? Because he actually has to travel through town to more places than one to search for his wife, his journey was supposed to be longer or something?
Come to think, that kinda works considering that James is looking for his wife in their "special place", explaining the need for Mary telling James near the end of his journey that the whole town was their special place.

Sometimes I wonder if we're just over-analyzing and it's just coincidence that every small detail, every sentence spoken and every story-element seems to fit so perfectly in these games.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 13 May 2008
Notes left: 56
Like Aura said, space doesn't exist in Silent Hill. The Labyrinth is proof of this.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Space exists in other Silent Hills. Or wait, space of course doesn't exist normally in the foggy world because that's formed in the abstract way the worlds in Silent Hill 4 are. Only folks like Alessa or Heather can form a more stable, larger world and are capable of drawing others in.

Post subject:

Quote:
Could work considering the abstract nature of the town in the second game, but that seems weird somehow. James would be the only one actually exploring the town in a sort of normal form.

No he's not. As Angela and Eddie's early encounters prove, in the beginning, they're exploring the normal town like James, and like James, they eventually start exploring impossible geographies.

Quote:
Space exists in other Silent Hills. Or wait, space of course doesn't exist normally in the foggy world because that's formed in the abstract way the worlds in Silent Hill 4 are. Only folks like Alessa or Heather can form a more stable, larger world and are capable of drawing others in.

Euclid Space doesn't exist in ANY of the Silent Hills.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Aug 2008
Notes left: 211
Why can Euclidean space not exist in SH.

Post subject:

Notes left: 3073
Last seen at: Wisconsin
It kind of seems like they all just wandering though. :?

Post subject:

Quote:
Why can Euclidean space not exist in SH.

Because in Euclidean space, three lefts make a right.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Either way I don't think that what Kupomee said has to do with Euclid space but more to do with being the observer. I which case Alessa is the majority observer.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

That exactly was what I meant. Alessa and Walter have the ability to shape their own otherworld and to pull people in. James, Harry and Travis don't have this power so their view of the otherworld would exist only for them. Harry doesn't create an otherworld for himself, Travis does but also gets pulled into Alessa's world a bit, James only has his own world to travel through which sometimes overlaps with others. When he meets Eddie and Angela for example.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1299
Eddie, Angela, Laura, and James follow intersecting paths through Silent Hill. Three of those paths are set in stone. Eddie's leads into a deepening madness, but its natural terminus is unknown, because James (presumably) terminates it artificially. Angela's leads into self-hatred and self-abuse, and ultimately to self-destruction. Laura's leads through the town (skipping the trial of the Abyss, which is the only place that involves impossible geographies), and safely out at the end. James's path depends on the player's actions.

Post subject:

Quote:
Laura's leads through the town (skipping the trial of the Abyss, which is the only place that involves impossible geographies), and safely out at the end.

That's a bit debatable, as she's able to get to certain locations without normal means, such as getting to Lakeside View Hotel without a boat. One theory's been postulated that while her Otherworld may be set in stone, it could be a pastiche based on memories of Mary's stories and photographs, "cutting the fat", so to speak to jumble all the good stuff Mary liked together, plus the hospital.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

So one interesting question now is, why does James run into Eddie and Angela when he does?
My impression while playing the game and paying attention to when and where James meets Eddie and Angela, was that somehow James was meant to run into these people at certain times. To be tested in his sense of justice or to be made aware of his situation. I got this impression in the Abyss with saving Angela, failing to save Eddie and also that hanged-people-puzzle. The meetings in the apartment building make it clear that Angela and Eddie were also drawn to the town for some reason and that their both not entirely sane.
Silent Hill looks different for each of the people that visit it in this game, but why then do they still run into each other?

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Well it could be that the town does not have enough energy at first to keep the people separated from each other. you can see this as when you first meet the people you are usaualy in normal situation and as yoiu progress you start to see each others reality as shown with the Angela's stairs. could be that not until the end that the town has enough power to fully develope your reality.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Aug 2008
Notes left: 127
Last seen at: Over the Rainbow
Or it could be a literary device.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Jun 2008
Notes left: 693
Hmm, I just now made the connection of Angela = Fire and Eddie = Ice.
After like 5 years. I never noticed.
I feel dumb.