Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 29 Oct 2020

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

What were your impressions of James?
I hated him 7%  7%  [ 15 ]
I felt sorry for him. 93%  93%  [ 211 ]
Total votes : 226

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Did you still like James at the end?

Missing since: 25 Jul 2007
Notes left: 80
Last seen at: Indiana
At the climax of Silent Hill 2, we discover that James killed Mary. Suddenly, our perceptions of James is potetinally altered.

I'm interested to know what your guy's reaction was? Did you hate James tremendously? Did you feel like he killed her out of mercy or selfishness? Did you want him to face his sins and accept reality? What were your impressions?

Personally, I didn't hate James when I first played the game, and I still find it very difficult to do so. I believe that James was just a sexually frusturated, and lonely insecure man whose wife, whom he loved very much, caused him tremendous greif when she fell ill. I think Jame's guilt and the fact that he feels the need to search for Mary reveals that at his core, he loved her very much.

Last edited by The Follower on 02 Nov 2008, edited 1 time in total.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Oct 2006
Notes left: 1910
Last seen at: Danvers Asylum
I felt sorry for the poor bugger. I always feel bad for people who have bad mental conditions :(

ImageImageImage Thank you Harrys_Girl for the Drawing Block!
[I am currently permitted to display a larger avatar thanks to my status as a supporter of SHHF]

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Feb 2006
Notes left: 731
Last seen at: Australia
Hard question, I suppose I did feel sorry for him, it's not as simple as 'he killed her therefore he didn't love her'. I think he did in the end, there were probably some selfless intentions in his actions, to end her suffering as well as his own. It's a tricky moral quandary. I am in full support of euthanasia, though this situation was a little different. Mary did have a terminal illness and did say she wanted to die though I don't feel James had the right considering she didn't give him express permission to do so.

But I've always felt motives were more important than actions. From an onlooker it would seem that James did a brave thing, risking his freedom (jail) to end someones suffering yet we find out alot of the reasons he did it was rooted in wanting his own freedom from Mary, he wanted his life back. It's hard to hate him because I understand where he is coming from and even sympathize with him.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19439
Last seen at: #lfk
>I always feel bad for people who have bad mental conditions
What is James' "mental condition"?

I always liked James.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Mar 2006
Notes left: 252
Last seen at: By the sea
I didn't hate him -I felt so sad for him and Mary. He obviously loved Mary otherwise he wouldn't have put himself through the events of the game. Krist's post "James's clemency (Spoilers)" explains it better than I could.

Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Apr 2008
Notes left: 3073
Last seen at: Wisconsin
Well, I didn't vote cause there's two choices that don't explain how I feel about him. I liked James from the beginning and when I found out what he did to Mary, it didn't change how I felt really. I'm not sure why but I still like him alot. I don't feel sorry for him because of what he did or his frustrations or whatever, those are extremely sad excuses. So besides all that crap, I still found him a pretty likeable character. :mrgreen:

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Apr 2008
Notes left: 87
Last seen at: Silent Hill
His situation is too complicated for me to be able to hate him. I think that he's a good person at heart. Many of his actions reflect his character as he interacts with Angela and Eddie, so... even though he did murder his wife I still can't see him as being a villain. He's still capable of attaining redemption, if only he would allow himself to do so.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Apr 2006
Notes left: 671
I liked James because of all we went through together. The hours of running around scared out of our minds driven to find one thing are important. Just because he did what he did for dubious reasons (whether out of love or loathing).

I <3 him. Not as much as I like Harry, but he's a close second.

Y'know what I don't hate?

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
Karen999uk wrote:
I didn't hate him -I felt so sad for him and Mary. He obviously loved Mary otherwise he wouldn't have put himself through the events of the game. Krist's post "James's clemency (Spoilers)" explains it better than I could.

Dawwwwwwww => Thank you, honey. But I still maintain the only reason I'm "better"* is because I think too much and thus waste a lot of time thinking about how to explain things. And dear Christ your icon is gorgeous. And distracting.

I felt sorry for James. I didn't hate him at all, nor did I feel anything negative besides this intense sadness. If he was painted in a somehow vicious or cruel way then I wouldn't be able to sit here today and still think of him as a fundamentally good person who was just horribly tormented. The game goes to almost exhausting details and lengths to show James as a man who ISN'T horrible and ISN'T a cruel, heartless bastard. I think if you didn't like James at the end of the game then you were pretty much disregarding everything the game established for you, and thus you severely limited yourself from the game's finest point.

ETA: "Jame's" Why the hell do people do this all the time? I'm not attacking you, Follower, I'm just wondering why people are incapable of putting apostrophes in the right place. O_o Jame's would mean his name was Jame.

* I don't really think I'm better at all, in a sense.

Last edited by Mis Krist. on 02 Nov 2008, edited 1 time in total.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19439
Last seen at: #lfk
>Why the hell do people do this all the time?
Probably the same reason people misuse their/there/they're, no/know and your/you're—among others.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Jun 2007
Notes left: 2121
Hannah wrote:
I liked James because of all we went through together.

i agree. such times we had, james and i. i remember making him fall off the lynching scaffold numerous times, usually laughing, trying to see exactly what the reaction was when he hit the ground... and he simply put up with it, among other things. what a trooper.

really though, james is my favorite SH protagonist. probably because i'm biased toward SH2's awesomeness.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Sep 2008
Notes left: 14
Last seen at: Sweden
Seriously, I didn't feel sorry for him. I didn't really hate him either. But he killed Eddie. Unforgivable.

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
So killing in self defense is unforgivable? Right.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Sep 2008
Notes left: 14
Last seen at: Sweden
Krist. wrote:
So killing in self defense is unforgivable? Right.

*sigh*

The point is, he's a VIDEO GAME CHARACTER. If it was reality, of course I'd feel sorry for him!

For some unknown reason I didn't like him. However, I did (without being some kind of crazy psychopathic maniac. I hope.) think Eddie was kind of cool. Yeah, I'm fully aware of the fact that it was Eddie who attacked James and not the other way around. But, still. I don't know.

Yeah, I'm strange.

Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Jun 2007
Notes left: 2121
Annebelle wrote:
However, I did (without being some kind of crazy psychopathic maniac. I hope.) think Eddie was kind of cool.

omg ur an insane rebel.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Jul 2007
Notes left: 80
Last seen at: Indiana
Krist. wrote:
Karen999uk wrote:

ETA: "Jame's" Why the hell do people do this all the time? I'm not attacking you, Follower, I'm just wondering why people are incapable of putting apostrophes in the right place. O_o Jame's would mean his name was Jame.

You're right. Typo on my part. I'm an English Major, so that isn't too good. I'll look for that in future essays.

I'm glad to see that the majority of people here like James. I've talked to some people who hated him when the truth was revealed, and I just couldn't understand how they were able to do that.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Jul 2008
Notes left: 241
I've always thought James was cool. As for feeling sorry for him or hating him depends on my mood really. Most of the time I usually do feel for him and feel bad about everything he must have felt and have gone through while Mary was ill. Other times I think "geez what an ass" and then I go ahead and get the Maria ending so that I can justify my indignation lol.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Sep 2007
Notes left: 847
Last seen at: alchemilia
I felt very sorry for him. I would hate to have been in his shoes. I understand why he felt what he felt.

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Feb 2004
Notes left: 3094
Last seen at: Deep Inside
It depends how you look at it.

Did he [spoiler]suffocate[/spoiler] her to end her pain? To not let her suffer and wither away to nothing?
Or did he do it cause he could not take it anymore, to end his pain, to do a coward act?

It's easy for us to say either I felt sorry for him, or what a heartless coward bastard. I guess it would be easier answered if we were actually in that position.

However, I felt bad for him at first, but my final thought, he was a coward for what he did.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1299
I don't think we can say that he was motivated only by Mary's suffering, or by his own. They were both in pain. They both wanted the pain to end. And remember also that James could have merely walked away, rather than remaining with Mary to the end. And yet he didn't. Mary says it best: "If that were true [that you hated me], why are you so sad?" She knew him best. She knew why he did what he did. And she forgave him. That's good enough for me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next