Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 31 Oct 2020

Post subject: Laura and the Hotel (possible spoilers)

While reading the forums I've been reminded of something that bothers me a bit. When James arrvies at the hotel he sees Laura playing the Piano. How did she get there? And how come she doesn't seem to notice how damaged the hotel is in reality?

I can't really remember a lot of their conversation, so i'm not sure if she says anything about it, but Laura always seemed to be more in tocuh with the 'real world' in Silent Hill. So shouldn't she of seen the hotel for what it was?

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
To her it's an abandoned place, like the rest of the town. The idea that she's in the real world of Silent Hill is kind of farfetched, considering if a little eight year old girl is running all over town alone, someone might do something about that, so I believe she's in the foggy, dream-like state of the town. She's a lonely child, her only friend a woman who had an incurable disease, no parents and no one to look out or care for her. To me it kind of makes sense for her to be stuck in some kind of alternate reality where there's no one and nothing to bother her--not that she wants this isolation. We know almost for sure that to Laura the town is empty except for Eddie and James. As for the hotel, it could very well be just an abandoned, lonely place in which Laura can browse around, much like the hospital and the apartments. It's hard to say for sure whether it's a burned out husk to her.

Post subject:

Also wanna point out that Laura primarily appears in the two places that are part of Mary's shift to the otherworld. Hotel and Hospital.

Odds are, if Mary is causing it, Mary would also be protecting Laura.

Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Jul 2005
Notes left: 3898
Wait.. is the hotel is only reachable by water? If so, how can Laura get there in the first place.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19439
Last seen at: #lfk
>is the hotel is only reachable by water?
Of course not.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

Krist. wrote:
To her it's an abandoned place, like the rest of the town. The idea that she's in the real world of Silent Hill is kind of farfetched, considering if a little eight year old girl is running all over town alone, someone might do something about that, so I believe she's in the foggy, dream-like state of the town. She's a lonely child, her only friend a woman who had an incurable disease, no parents and no one to look out or care for her. To me it kind of makes sense for her to be stuck in some kind of alternate reality where there's no one and nothing to bother her--not that she wants this isolation. We know almost for sure that to Laura the town is empty except for Eddie and James. As for the hotel, it could very well be just an abandoned, lonely place in which Laura can browse around, much like the hospital and the apartments. It's hard to say for sure whether it's a burned out husk to her.

Yeah I agree with the idea that she's not in the real world, sorry if I wasn't clear about that, but I think she sees a world a lot closer to reality than the other characters. Certainly not anything scary or disturbing like Angela and James, which is why i'm confused on what she could possibly make of the hotel. She stayed there so seeing it from that context is possible. She also seems at ease with the place, not what you'd expect from a burnt out husk. As for the only reachable by water I think it's clear she took the long way round toluca lake. But how did she end up going? Did she just hear from Mary that the hotel was important to her, so she went looking there? And if that's true why did she wait so long to search it (we see her several times about the town looking beforehand) wouldn't be the first place she looked? I'm curious because I love hearing about the what Silent Hill is to characters, another obsession is what Vincent sees in SH3.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Apr 2005
Notes left: 520
Last seen at: Just leaving Existence...
Krist. wrote:
To her it's an abandoned place, like the rest of the town...To me it kind of makes sense for her to be stuck in some kind of alternate reality where there's no one and nothing to bother her--not that she wants this isolation. We know almost for sure that to Laura the town is empty except for Eddie and James. As for the hotel, it could very well be just an abandoned, lonely place in which Laura can browse around, much like the hospital and the apartments. It's hard to say for sure whether it's a burned out husk to her.

That's how I always imagined Laura would perceive Silent Hill.

But I find myself confused by the question of how Laura gets to the hotel. From James' perspective, isn't that irrelevant?
Forgive me if I'm not up on the latest theories, but isn't Laura basically an aspect of James reflected? A tool used to hammer home his crime? If this is the case, then surely space/time rules no longer apply - at the whim of the powers that govern Silent Hill, she'll always be where she needs to be to do what she has to?

If I'm wrong, sorry, just forget I was born.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Aug 2005
Notes left: 751
Last seen at: Connecticut
It depends, Spong.

I personally believe Laura is real.

Post subject:

I've always thought James couldn't walk to the area because Valtiel didn't want him to. If he had simply walked, Eddie would still live and he'd never see Maria. (He wouldn't have to go through the prison and meat packing plant or whatever to reach the docks and go to the hotel) Laura does mention something about "alot of walking".

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Apr 2005
Notes left: 520
Last seen at: Just leaving Existence...
Hjartu wrote:
It depends, Spong.

I personally believe Laura is real.

This is the thing.
I suppose to be able to consider Laura's perception, you have to acknowledge her to be fundementally real (or at least base her on similar rules). But to think about her perspective in the context of James' story and his/her arrival at the hotel would be impossible, wouldn't it? I still stand by my claim of irrelevance where her movements are concerned, unless you're talking about an entire story orientated around Laura. In which case, there'd be an infinite number of possibilities that could be discussed and theorised.

Hope that makes what I mean a little clearer. Sorry if I explained my original point badly.

Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Jul 2004
Notes left: 2099
Last seen at: Australia
It's a long walk, but it's very much reachable. James sees the town in its decayed state, and Laura does not, so she doesn't have the road blocks.

Perhaps the journey across the lake is symbolic, and that's why James makes it? Or maybe the developers just knew most people couldn't be bothered circumnavigating most of Silent Hill to get there, considering how people complain about the forest walk and the walk from Brookhaven to the Historical Society.

I’ve always thought Laura was real, for what it’s worth.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Dec 2005
Notes left: 221
Last seen at: Heaven's Night
Lucky_Aoi wrote:
But how did she end up going? Did she just hear from Mary that the hotel was important to her, so she went looking there?

I believe Laura checked both the apartment building and the hotel thinking that Mary got better and probably rented a room in those places. Then again Laura and Mary talked a lot about SH, so probably Mary did tell her that she loved staying at the hotel, so that could be the reason why Laura checks it out.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19439
Last seen at: #lfk
>Did she just hear from Mary that the hotel was important to her...
She even showed me all of her pictures. Note that Mary has a picture of Lakeview Hotel next to her bed.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

Yeah, thats how i think Laura knew about the LS hotel.

Post subject:

the Adversary wrote:
>Did she just hear from Mary that the hotel was important to her...
She even showed me all of her pictures. Note that Mary has a picture of Lakeview Hotel next to her bed.

Ah I didn't remember that, and I guess maybe question of how she gets there maybe a little irrelevent to James' story but I believe she's real. I'd still find it really interesting to see what Laura saw in the hotel though.

Post subject:

Before we can figure out what Laura sees, first examine her behavior.

She's a child but is never in a hurry? Why would Laura be perfectly comfortable here? She seems to be looking for Mary, but not really in a hurry to find her. Something about the town is satisfying her or almost distracting her from her goal. You see her several times just hanging out or humming to herself, or playing with her toys. She's completely comfortable, acting with no sense of fear or urgency. Like she's right at home.

Laura had no parents.
Laura wanted parents, and Laura wanted to see Mary again.
Laura has no guilt weighing down her heart.

I almost want to say she sees a world designed specifically for her needs. No doctors to boss her around, no mean sisters at an orphanage, no teachers, no bossy adults or scary people. Perhaps a comforting atmosphere, like a town designed just for her, where she has a fatherly or motherly figure there watching over her that gives her comfort and ease. That figure is most likely the essense of Mary, and Laura can feel her. The issue is that Laura wants to see her, so she begins looking for her.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Jan 2006
Notes left: 28
thats true. laura is, in fact real, my theory is, is that laura does see the town abandoned and shrouded in fog. this tells the player that since the events of SH1, the town has remained deserted and in mist. or maybe not? now, as for laura getting to the hotel before james. We think Laura doesnt go through a couple of places such as james does though the prison and labryinth (or however you spell it) BUT the town is still active ,is the only word for it, and therefore cuts the bridge to the resort area but for laura, lets her go freely. james had a few things to take care of (whether he knew what they were or not) such as following what the letter he found said or [spoiler]finding maria dead a 2nd time[/spoiler] he had to go through those stages. And of course James sees the burned hotel though his eyes only. you reize that though the fact the hotel was still on fire when you meet angela and the two long hallways before the 2nd to last boss fight and after that. But this is only a theory.

Post subject:

Why does he see a burned down hotel? Why didn't he see a fleshy and bloody hotel, for instance?

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
What makes you think he would? I'm kind of confused at your question.

The hotel really is burned down. After he sees the video tape the hotel is no longer what he once thought it was--just like his memory of Mary's death isn't the same, either--so it reverts to its real state: a burned out husk. He at first saw the hotel as he remembered it to be from his last visit.

Post subject:

It really was burned? Do we get more hints to this, besides the police... ehm... that yellow thing that prevents from entering a zone (police tape? how do you name that thing?)?