Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 23 Oct 2019

Post subject: SH1 Named an 'Essential Game' by Playstation Magazine

I don't know if anyone else saw this, but last month the Official Playstation Magazine released its 100th issue. The main feature for the issue was "The Essential 100", which was a list of 100 games on the PS1, PS2, and PSP that "you must play before you die". In other words, the best of the best for all the Playstation consoles. Not surprisingly, the first Silent Hill made it into the list, and it was even the featured game for 1999 with several screenshots and a nice long write-up that took up the better part of the page! Always good to see SH getting a little recognition from critics.

Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11979
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
Where was it on the list?

And why wasn't Silent Hill 2 on the list? It's considered by many to be the best game in the series, and was certainly the survival horror game of the PS2 era.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Post subject:

Drewfus wrote:
Where was it on the list?

The games weren't ranked by number, only by the year that they were released.

As for SH2, I assume the editors gave the nod to the original and not the sequels because SH1 was the beginning of the series, and was therefore more revolutionary and had a bigger impact on the gaming market than SH2-4. In fact, here's an excerpt from the write-up:

"While later games in the series refined the formula, it's hard to recapture the initial 'what the hell is that?' horror of your first-ever visit to Silent Hill. 'To this day I am afraid of fog and radio static,' says Zoe Flower. 'This is the Jaws of the PlayStation.'"

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Oct 2003
Notes left: 5534
Last seen at: Room 311, making a noise complaint
Certianly it's good to see SH1 get some kerd.SH2 isn't just a redefiniton though,it's a toattaly different prespective on horror.Honestly the media completely over looks the greatness in SH2. :evil:

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Jul 2005
Notes left: 34
Last seen at: Central Europe
I´m very glad that only SH1 made it into the list, since it is the best Silent hill

Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Jul 2004
Notes left: 2566
Last seen at: Centralia
Yeah, I have this magazine. It had a well deserved place in that list.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 14 Sep 2005
Notes left: 421
Last seen at: Silent Hill.
That's awesome...Their still giving the first one, the credits it deserves...I suppose it only makes sense, their still doing so with Resident Evil, and my opinion of course, Silent Hill, is a much better ser...So, it only makes sense.

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 Aug 2005
Notes left: 1523
Last seen at: Colombia
Silent Hill 1 is the scariest of the four games... May be someone that played by the first time any of the other don't think in this way... But if you have played SH1 by the first you really knew what mean soil your pants... SH 1 is the darkest of the saga and its noise/music can got you rslly upset... The enemies are a lot smarter than for the other games, the dark scenaries are REALLY dark, the Harry's motion just can be seen in the other games in the hard mode same that the puzzles... This game is a piece of bizarre art and always will be my favorite...

RUN HARRY RUN!!!

Sorry, I forgot another thing about SH1 that is great for me... All the details without an explanation like the scratched school desk and the Wolf pictures... There are a lot of things that are related with the other games showing that the developers created a solid story since the beggining (Not like Resident Evil where in the new games appear things and charcters that in the early games they never mentioned =cough= RE Zero =cough=)

Edited by Krist. Please don't let this happen again.

Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Jan 2004
Notes left: 3941
Last seen at: Naaarwich, UK
You need to edit your previous post, not make a whole new one. Just press the "EDIT" button on the top right because double posting is baaaaaad.

Post subject:

Oh yeah!, Silent Hill 1 is the best one

Post subject:

That's awesome and all, but I do think Silent Hill 2 is the best of the series. But, who cares, Silent Hill as a whole is the best damn horror franchise out there.

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Feb 2004
Notes left: 3094
Last seen at: Deep Inside
In my opinion, SH1 is one of if not the best game made.

Post subject:

I concur, SH1 is my fav too.

Post subject:

OPM sucks. :? PSM is much better

Post subject:

I do agree that in a lot of ways, Silent Hill 2 is superior to Silent Hill 1. But overall, I keep coming back to the first Silent Hill. It never fails to get under my skin, and it's impossible to not root for Harry. It just had more of a sense of urgency: you're trying to find your daughter who's lost in a dangerous town with several ghouls of the human and non-human variety out to get her. Personally, if I were James, I'd be outta town at the first sight of danger.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Apr 2006
Notes left: 25
It's nice to see that SH1 made it to the list, although I question the timing. Hope they weren't just putting it there to shamelessly promote the upcoming movie. I'm not saying that it doesn't deserve a spot there, just know how some magazines think. /evil eye

*gives a high five to SH1 for it's achievement though!*

Post subject:

This thread is two months old you know lol.

Post subject:

SH1 is the best out of them all!! It is cool that Silent Hill made it on the list, but I don't care for the opinions of editors/critics. I prefer to trust my own judgments rather than getting spoonfed by someone else. By the way, who the hell is Zoe Flower?

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Apr 2006
Notes left: 9
Last seen at: Somewhere in the middle of Nowhere
That's nice to know, seeing as the last few game magazines I read put-down the early SH games and labelled them as being "games of the past". I wanted to burn them. :evil:

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Jul 2006
Notes left: 228
Last seen at: Nuevo Leon, México
SH1 is the best, in my opinion.
The SH sequels are great, they have better looking graphics, scary monsters, etc.
But I just don't get that feeling from the sequels; the feeling I got when I first played the first Silent Hill.

I think this is an essencial game for any Horror game lover.