Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 29 Oct 2020

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: A Letter, a wrench and the Little Barones

Missing since: 03 Jan 2006
Notes left: 90
Recently, two things have been bothering me in SH2.

First, there is a note you get when you aquire the key to the hospital's exit, that tells you to get a letter and a wrench. I copyed the note from the game, in case you don't know what I'm talking about:

Quote:
He who is not bold enough to be stared at from across the abyss is not bold enough to stare into himself. The truth can only be learned by marching forward. Follow the map. There's a letter and a wrench

So then folowing the map, you get the letter and the wrench, now there is something writen on the letter that made me think. Once again I copyed the text from the game, the part that i'm interested in is writen in bold letters:

Quote:
Or perhaps you are a fool. The truth usually betrays people. A part of that abyss is in the old society. The key to the society is in the park. At the foot of the praying woman, inside of the ground, inside of a box. To open it I need a wrench. My patient buried it there. I knew, but I did nothing. It made me uneasy to have such a thing near. I wasan't looking for the truth, I was looking for tranquility. I also saw that thing. I fled, but the museum was sealed as well. Now no one dares to approach that place.

If you still do not wish to stop, James, I pray to the lord to have mercy on your etarnal soul.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but, I'm willing to belive that thing that this person saw was PH. I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but I never belived PH was something exclusive of James mind. And like controling the flow of the otherworld is Valietel's ''duty'' maybe PH is suposed to guide, or perhaps judge the guilty that wonder into Silent Hill.

Though I don't really want to discuss what PH is or isn't, I'm just interested in the thing mentioned in the letter

Ok now for the second thing. It involves the note you find in a sort of magazine in the prison stage. It talks about the Little Barones that mysteriously disapeared. The part that interests me on the notes is what comes after:

Quote:
''In 1939 an even stranger event occured''

*There are many torn out pages

Have the events that where writen in these torn out pages ever been revealed?

PS: Sry for the huge post >_<

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11057
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
It's probably not Pyramid Head. He's not a judge of sinners, at least, not in the game. He is James' own mental projection, specially tailored to represent his maladjusted emotional state.

I think "that thing" is the Abyss. Or at least an entrance to the Abyss.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

I kinda thought about that, but the part in the letter that said:

''Now no one dares to aproach that place''

Made me re-think

Edit: Also the part where the writer specifys ''I also...''

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jul 2003
Notes left: 2368
Alone in the town is pretty much correct.

The director is referring to the long tunnel thing that you have to descend inside the museum. He calls it "part of the Abyss" in the English version, I believe. Japanese version literally calls it "one of the Abyss."

Post subject:

I also wanna say that...If a simple thought and emotion can shape reality, it's not so far fetched to feel that two guilty men could look upon the same painting and manifest the same creature.

But again, I think he is referring to the hallway through the historical society.

One thing....this is Ernest Baldwin, right? Is he speaking to you as a ghost or are these past letters? If he can see Maria, I'm sure he can see Pyramid Head.

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
Ernest and Maria never saw each other, to get technical. His ghost talked to her through doors. And it could very well be Ernest, which would explain why he knows James' name and the details of his guilt, but that's up to speculation, too. How long ago did Ernest die?

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19439
Last seen at: #lfk
Ernest Baldwin was the Director of Brookhaven, before his daughter died; he's responsible for writing those notes recently, while James is going through the town. They're directly related to what James is doing, and Ernest is leading him along in an attempt to abet James in succeeding where he failed: with the Resurrection of a Loved One.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

Then Enerst's life energy/soul is part of the town. I don't see why Maria is any easier to see or contact than Pyramid Head would be, since they are essentially the same thing.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 11 Sep 2005
Notes left: 231
Quote:
He who is not bold enough to be stared at from across the abyss is not bold enough to stare into himself. The truth can only be learned by marching forward. Follow the map. There's a letter and a wrench

I always loved that text.

Also, I still am not convinced that it was Ernest that was the director. But we are all entitled to our own speculations.

Also, are we sure that he means the abyss when he says "I also saw that thing?" because his next line says that he fled, *but* the museum was sealed as well.

That's very strange wording.

I think that it could be the abyss, yes, but I still am not sure that there couldn't be some better explanation. Anyone got one? :o

Post subject:

Quote:
I think that it could be the abyss, yes, but I still am not sure that there couldn't be some better explanation. Anyone got one?

That situation always made my mind drift back to that wall in SH2.

"There was a hole here, but it's gone now."

RESPECT
 Post subject:

The message that Ernest Baldwin left for James, whom is responsible for writing the Letter and leaving the wrench, he exclaims he's a doctor, with a patient who stole the key to the Historical Society.

Joseph Barkin, the patient the letter mentions, was originally intended to be the otherside of James: the Maria to her Mary. The doctor that has a special interest in Joseph, Ernest, happens to know about James as well--which he discusses with Maria in Born From A Wish.

Thus: The doctor who cared for Joseph Barkin wrote the letter and was aware of his "otherside," James. Thus: Ernest knows James. Thus: Ernest wrote the letters.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

So you still believe Joseph to be James' other side?

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Not his otherside, but his representation at Brookhaven. Joseph is James; Jack is Angela; Joshua is Eddie.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

Monobrow wrote:
Also, are we sure that he means the abyss when he says "I also saw that thing?" because his next line says that he fled, *but* the museum was sealed as well.

I think that it could be the abyss, yes, but I still am not sure that there couldn't be some better explanation. Anyone got one? :o

Yeah. It's a mistranslation. That should be "and then".

The director sealed off the museum, but he always had the key with him. That always stared at him in the face that he was running away from the truth. Understandably, when Joseph took the key from him, it made him feel a little better that they key was no longer in front of him.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 11 Sep 2005
Notes left: 231
Burning Man wrote:
Monobrow wrote:

Yeah. It's a mistranslation. That should be "and then".

The director sealed off the museum, but he always had the key with him. That always stared at him in the face that he was running away from the truth. Understandably, when Joseph took the key from him, it made him feel a little better that they key was no longer in front of him.

That makes much more sense there.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Very interesting, I didn't know there was actualy an author to the letter, I always thought of it as another projection in James mind, like the hole in the society... which I also thought was only existed in James head

It just makes me wonder how could James manifest the image of PH, before he reads a text somewhere in the prison stage, that describes the executioners from Toluca prison wearing a triangular helmet and making the convicted choose between skewering or hanging as their punishment. There is also the ''Misty Day'' painting, that depicts the exact same PH... unless the painting is also exclusive to James mind, I find it hard to belive that PH is a James thing only...

But what about my second question, the one about the small text found on the magazine that talked about the Little Barones. Anyone know what that's about?

I'll quote it again:

Quote:

Post subject:

Not much really. I've gone only far as to speculate that each incident has something to do with WWI and WWII respectively. To elaborate, The Little Baroness incident happened in 1918, with 14 people lost. WWI: (19)14-1918. The stranger incident occurred in 1939, beginning of WWII.

But this is just pure guessing. It's not really backed up by anything but my own delusions.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Apr 2006
Notes left: 639
rip wrote:
Very interesting, I didn't know there was actualy an author to the letter, I always thought of it as another projection in James mind, like the hole in the society... which I also thought was only existed in James head

It just makes me wonder how could James manifest the image of PH, before he reads a text somewhere in the prison stage, that describes the executioners from Toluca prison wearing a triangular helmet and making the convicted choose between skewering or hanging as their punishment. There is also the ''Misty Day'' painting, that depicts the exact same PH... unless the painting is also exclusive to James mind, I find it hard to belive that PH is a James thing only...

But what about my second question, the one about the small text found on the magazine that talked about the Little Barones. Anyone know what that's about?

I'll quote it again:

Quote:

Last edited by Conjurer on 23 Sep 2006, edited 1 time in total.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 May 2006
Notes left: 15
Last seen at: Ilion, NY
Burning Man wrote:
Alone in the town is pretty much correct.

The director is referring to the long tunnel thing that you have to descend inside the museum. He calls it "part of the Abyss" in the English version, I believe. Japanese version literally calls it "one of the Abyss."

Is there an abyss in SH1? I remember walking down a pretty long hallway, I forget where, but I know it was on SH1.

Donate to the poor *tisk tisk*...

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Apr 2006
Notes left: 639
No their isn't. Their's nowhere which is something from Alessa.

Last edited by Conjurer on 23 Sep 2006, edited 1 time in total.