Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 31 Oct 2020

Post subject: James and Walter are the same *theory*

Here is a theory and comparison I've developed between James and Walter. I think they are more similar than originally realized.

Walter Sullivan had split personalities.
Walter was a human with a human life and human morals. He also had the dark half that desired power and escape from this world. That half was fueled by the power of Valtiel, which was snuck into Walter's mind as a child. The two halves struggled for dominance. The Dark half began the killing spree, and when it was over, the human half was left with the blood on his hands. When in Silent Hill, the dark half, powered by Valtiel, was closer to the epicenter of the power-the town. The Dark half gained the strength to escape the human half's body, and we had two Walters. To the human half, the Dark half didn't look like Walter at all, but looked like "The Red Devil", the image that Jimmy Stone used to strike fear and dominance over his followers. The Dark Half may have resembled Pyramid Head, or a form of Valtiel, to Walter's human half, and probably did.
Human Walter killed himself in prison, sentenced for murders he felt he didn't commit. He died in confusion. Dark Walter then removed the body of his other half, carried it to Room 302, and merged with it again. Walter was born with a gift, and just like how Alessa required body and soul to be at complete strength, as did Walter. Alessa's body was kept alive by magic or otherworldly forces, but Walter's body was dead. Walter used the rebirth items to resurrect his human body and merged with it, making himself whole again. Once merging with his body and performing his blood ritual, he ascended to a sort of God-hood, and SH4 begins. Now that the dark half controlled the flesh and spirit, the human half was lost inside, but still reborn. This half would become projected in the form of a child that would attempt to protect Eileen, but would still give up anything to obtain it's childhood desire-to be within the womb of it's mother, once again.

James Sunderland had split personalities.
James is a victim. Joseph is a killer. Joesph killed Mary. The part of James that could lock away his emotions, become a cold figure, he smothered Mary Sunderland after the eve of her return home. Joseph was born through trauma and a growing hatred of Mary, and a growing hatred of the situation. As time passed, Joseph could not be contained and Mary was smothered beneath a common bed pillow. With Mary gone, Joseph rested and was overtaken by James. James, now left with blood on his hands refuses to acknowledge what Joseph, his other half, has done. James travels to Silent Hill with mixed intent. Perhaps to try to resurrect Mary, or perhaps to just find a final resting place for he and his wife's body. Perhaps the choice is divided between what Joseph wants, and what James wants. Joseph will not be silenced for long. Enter: The Red Pyramid Thing. The part of James' mind he has locked away is fighting to be acknowledged. This force and dark mind is manifesting everything around him, as James struggles to survive, in confusion. Pyramid Head is the manifestation of Joseph. James has been split. His locked away memories share no resemblance to the man they are projected from, as James' mind is totally disconnected from that of his split personality. James struggles against the Pyramid being, but can never seem to destroy it, only simply subdue it at times. In the end, James overpowers the being's will, by acknowleding both Joseph AND James are as one again. James Sunderland killed Mary. James accepts what he has done, and his two personalities are welcomed as one. One will not reject the other. Pyramid Head was a force created to drive James towards this realization. James wanted suicide. Joseph did not. Although Joseph was a projection as Pyramid Head previously, this entity was intended to drive James towards survival, not to kill him. The more James wishes to survive, the less attracted to suicide he will become. Joseph doesn't want to die any more than anyone else would, despite James' desires. Depending on James' behavior in the game, he can still lead to suicide, but this comes after James' cannot accept his actions. In the course of events, Joseph and James accept eachother as one mind again, and James Sunderland is reborn. James and Joseph can definately agree on one thing: They want Mary back. Enter: Rebirth.

Walter and James both commited a crime they themselves couldn't handle. Walter-the children, and James-his wife, Mary.
Walter and James were both "summoned" to Silent Hill.
Walter and James both did not acknowledge their own hand in the killings of their respected victim(s)
Walter and James seemed both stalked by a dark being they did not relate to themselves.
Walter and James both met their fates in the catacombs, and eventually performed their darkest and most desired ritual.
The Assumption, and the Rebirth. Walter got his mother back, and James got his Mary.
Silent Hill grows stronger.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Mar 2004
Notes left: 3526
Last seen at: Waco, Texas
This is based off the Initial script I assume... 8)

Post subject:

Hehe, yeah....

I think the Joseph thing is still valid in the story, it's just much less literal than originally intended.

Post subject:

I've made this mental connection before... Good observation.

But I don't think they are the same. Walter has power. James is weak, pathetic, and lonely. They have the same desperate strive to revive a loved one, but other than that...

James isn't an insane psycho killer. He killed his wife because he thought that he could end her suffering and release himself from the cage binding them together. He knew she was going to die anyway, and she was in agony. She said herself that she wanted to die (then again, she said that she didn't want to die). Thus the inner turmoil born in James. Guilt is what drives him.

Walter just wants his mommy.

Post subject:

Umm....well...James didn't kill Mary for her sake. He killed her for his sake. He is a murderer and he committed a selfish act.

Besides, which Walter are you referring to? One is human and very guilt-ridden, the dark half is the one that is the psychotic murderer. Walter didn't really snap until the Valtiel energy within his brain began to want out.

And James' mind was in control of the town too, so he did have powers, just as a conjurer.

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
The first part is disputable. Very disputable, actually, since people still argue about it to this day. To brush James off as a simple murderer is completely disregarding the complexity of the situation. It isn't as simple as all that. Yes, he killed her. Duh. But there's more to the situation than James being "selfish."

I'm also confused at your use of the name Joseph. Are you making comparisons to Joseph Barkin?

The rest of the theory is interesting. I don't necessarily agree, but it's still an interesting thought.

Post subject:

I really liked your theroy (but having only played sh4 for about 2 hours I can't say much about the subject) I think that James in the dark side of Walter, and Walter is the good side of James. Let me know if that is anygood...

-Sparta

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19439
Last seen at: #lfk
Not really, considering James never confronts Walter, and Walter never confronts James.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

Well, I didn't mean they are the same person...

And by "Joseph" I'm referring to James conflicted other personality, which still exists. I feel they ditched Joseph as James' other manifest simply because Pyramid Head was already playing that role...that's why I say PH is "Joseph"...It is that part of James.

Post subject:

Oooook, my bad..sorry for the mix up.

-Sparta

Post subject:

Missing since: 14 Mar 2004
Notes left: 2542
Last seen at: The Boro, Englund
You wha'?

Post subject:

Go here:

http://www.translatedmemories.com/bookp ... racter.jpg

And read the creator commentary next to James' entry. Originally the idea was that he had a split personality Joseph the murderer and James the innocent.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Apr 2005
Notes left: 699
Seeing as that idea was dropped, the theory sort of falls apart, dosnt it?

Post subject:

It does take a significant dent, yes.. hmm. Nice try :\ and thank you for thinking.

Post subject:

I disagree with you. The physical character of Joseph was removed from the game, but not the idea of it. If you can't read that, maybe you do need TA to spoon-feed you theories.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Maybe you need to stop with your brow-beating. "Everyone's tired of it." Funny how you act so insultingly when someone only disagreed with you.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

the Adversary wrote:
Maybe you need to stop with your brow-beating. "Everyone's tired of it." Funny how you act so insultingly when someone only disagreed with you.

It's not the subject, it's the tone.

I'm afraid your chip on the shoulder attitude is rubbing off on her, too.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Wasn't just her, ya know. You can read into tone all you want, but it doesn't do you any good.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

How can you tell tone from text on a screen? You can't. You can't hear what I'm saying or how I'm saying it.

I'm getting sick and tired of having everything I say misinterpreted by you as me having an attitude - I wasn't, nor have I had one at all in this thread. It's wrong for you to think otherwise.

Stop being so defensive, Marky Darko. Or at the very least stop thinking I'm out to verbally shit all over everything you say. Honestly, I'm not. But if you keep up your own pissy attitude and undeserved cheapshots, don't be surprised if you start getting shit in return.

Post subject:

This that and there's a fuckin crusade goin' on that has as a prime purpose to write Tom off. Whether it's the way he speaks, his theories, anything related to the guy. Can't you people have a better pastime? Let the man be, for chrissake. I will promptly delete any sort of inane comment6 directed towards him. And I'm doing it for the inaneness itself, not just for his sake. Talk about of waste of html space.