Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 31 Oct 2020

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: A man crying in the hall?

Missing since: 19 Feb 2006
Notes left: 246
Last seen at: Canada
Okay, so I just finished SH2 for the second time last night. I really hope you haven't discussed this already, but if you have feel free to close this thread. In the Lakeview hotel, before you go to use the paint thinner on the picture in room 202, you walk down that hall right? And we [Blood Tears and I] heard a man crying. :shock:
Is there supposed to be something significant about that, because we tried to walk up and down the hall to hear it again, but then there was nothing.

...are my screams just a whisper?

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19439
Last seen at: #lfk
It only plays once, and is randomly predetermined at the beginning of the game. Significance? Not really. Just a man weeping.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Quote:
Significance? Not really. Just a man weeping.

Damn! I was hoping for some cool, long, creepy explanation about a rip in the thread of reality/delusional/ghosts or something. Ah well.

ETA

Quote:
is randomly predetermined at the beginning of the game

What predetermines it?

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Aug 2005
Notes left: 751
Last seen at: Connecticut
Faded.Memories wrote:
Quote:
is randomly predetermined at the beginning of the game

What predetermines it?

As stated, it's random.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Jul 2005
Notes left: 3898
Maybe it's James' own weeping echoed from the past?

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Quote:
Maybe it's James' own weeping echoed from the past.

Blood Tears suggested that perhaps it was Angela's father. Don't the doorman monsters symbolize her father? This happened as we walked by a dead one.

Although personally I think that the ones at the hotel don't have anything to do with her father as he is already dead.

Post subject:

Faded.Memories wrote:
Quote:
Significance? Not really. Just a man weeping.

Damn! I was hoping for some cool, long, creepy explanation about a rip in the thread of reality/delusional/ghosts or something. Ah well.

Just because Tommy doesn't have a theory on it, doesn't mean there's no meaning to it.

It could be James (as was suggested). Perhaps the hotel was where he first became aware of Mary's illness.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Quote:
It could be James (as was suggested). Perhaps the hotel was where he first became aware of Mary's illness.

Aww! Thats so sad! Maybe you're right. I wonder why it happened in that particular hallway.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

If it were supposed to be James'--or a manifestation of James' memory there--why would it be on the second floor hallway? when the couple spent their time together on the third floor.

If anything, it relates to the visitor staying at the end of the hall, carer of the photographs.

All I'm saying is that since the game's release, I haven't put any significance in it myself, nor have I read any from anyone else.

Mary became ill while on their vacation at Silent Hill, but they wouldn't have known what it was--or the extremity of it--until they'd gotten to a doctor. And remember that when James learned how severe the illness was--that she wasn't going to be cured; that she was going to die--James wasn't lachrymose, he was angry.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 Mar 2005
Notes left: 698
Last seen at: Everett, MA
Before someone asks...

lach-ry-mose

1. Weeping or inclined to weep; tearful.
2. Causing or tending to cause tears.

In other words...sad.

Post subject:

Damn you SH people with fancy vocabulary.

Anyway, back to the topic. Couldn't James be angry at first, then cry later? I'm not saying it has to be James' weeping, but I think it's possible still, even though you mention the second floor/third floor issues.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

>Couldn't James be angry at first, then cry later?
Certainly. But by then, they'd be back home, far from Lakeview Hotel. The manifestation of it would be pointless, having occurred elsewhere.

And, well, I like my lexicon. Not Silent Hill-induced, but from being a constant reader/writer.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
Of course it's possible James could be sad. He's rather heartbroken during the course of the game, I feel. I'm not sure of its significance, if any, but when I heard it I.. just felt really sad. And I also think it's one of those sounds that are put in to give you a jump. Kinda like the stick dropping in the Subway bathroom in SH4, the mannequin head screaming, and a bunch of other spooks that can be found throughout SH1.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Here's the sound, in case anyone's interested in hearing it again--I hear it everyday, whenever someone signs onto AIM: http://www.geocities.com/xanaax86/hotelsob.mp3

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Notes left: 1444
Last seen at: Californication
Sounds like Ernest...I know it couldn't be; but it's damn similar to me.

SHHF FAQs | Sig/Avatar Restrictions | Request Avatars and Sigs | SHHF Guidelines

Post subject:

Thanks the Ad. After listening to that, I don't think it's James (or Eddie). Sounds like someone else completely.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Quote:
After listening to that, I don't think it's James (or Eddie). Sounds like someone else completely.

It's the mystery sobber! Quick, someone find out who it is! I'll use my mad detective skillz!

What if the hotel is like...mocking James. Sorta like "The Overlook" in "The Shining". Taking a moment from his life after they left Silent Hill, in this example the first time he breaks down and cries after he learns of Mary's sickness, and is using it against him?

Post subject:

I saw the Shining, but I forgot most parts about it already. Care to refresh my memory on what "The Overlook" is Dayna? :D

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

*giggles* Sure. Actually, it's been awhile since I've seen the movie, but I read the book recently as I own it.

Basically a family of three (father, mother child) go up into the mountains in the winter to live temporarily at a hotel because the father is working as the caretaker for the winter. They get snowed in, and the hotel begins to come to life. The familt begin to see people in the halls, murders in the rooms from the past, and the hotel actually posesses the Father.

I sorta see the town of Silent Hill as being 'alive' because true, in the first one it is Alessa controlling the town and hauntings and such, but she doesn't control it in the second, third or fourth one. Silent Hill houses each enemy, makes them into a symbol from the characters troubled mind. Does that make sense?

So then, could the hotel also not be 'alive' and mocking James with his own memories? I'm trying to think of another example I can use, but I can't find a good one.

Post subject:

Yep, that makes sense. If you have seen "Event Horizon", I think that's another movie that plays with a Living Space Ship that messes with people's mind.
I think it's valid. The hotel uses James' own memory to mock him. Though I cannot tell why the laughing has to occur at that place. (or maybe it doesn't matter?)