Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 18 Dec 2018

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: What would be your Silent Hill premise?

Missing since: 11 Nov 2013
Notes left: 11
Last seen at: Bradford
Dunno if it's already been done in any of the games, but some or all of a story based around an old folks home could be pretty twisted. This occurs to me only because I work in an old folks home, and the nightshifts are seriously spooky at the best of times. Some classy characters reside there too, it might be a bit of a cliche but the possibilities are great for a nice little trip through the gates of Hell...it's called Laurel Bank which even sounds Silent Hill-y :twisted:

Just Passing Through

Notes left: 7
Last seen at: Portugal, Torres Vedras
Vision Thing wrote:
Dunno if it's already been done in any of the games, but some or all of a story based around an old folks home could be pretty twisted. This occurs to me only because I work in an old folks home, and the nightshifts are seriously spooky at the best of times. Some classy characters reside there too, it might be a bit of a cliche but the possibilities are great for a nice little trip through the gates of Hell...it's called Laurel Bank which even sounds Silent Hill-y :twisted:

Sounds creepy indeed! :shock: I'm not sure if it's been done either since I only played the original trilogy. :oops:

Just Passing Through

Notes left: 11
Last seen at: Bradford
RedStampede wrote:
Sounds creepy indeed! :shock: I'm not sure if it's been done either since I only played the original trilogy. :oops:

It's extremely creepy. I've seen a couple of things that can best be described in this rational scientific world we presume to live in as, well, unexplainable. The shadow of a figure moving through the lounge with no visible means of anything to create it put my mind quite to rest regarding the existence of 'unexplainable phenomena'. And had me sprinting outta there like a shot, whiter than white by the time I found a colleague to blub over.

And of course it goes without saying that there's been some dodgy folk residing and dying in the place, with rather colourful histories.

Just Passing Through

Notes left: 7
Last seen at: Portugal, Torres Vedras
Vision Thing wrote:
RedStampede wrote:

It's extremely creepy. I've seen a couple of things that can best be described in this rational scientific world we presume to live in as, well, unexplainable. The shadow of a figure moving through the lounge with no visible means of anything to create it put my mind quite to rest regarding the existence of 'unexplainable phenomena'. And had me sprinting outta there like a shot, whiter than white by the time I found a colleague to blub over.

And of course it goes without saying that there's been some dodgy folk residing and dying in the place, with rather colourful histories.

I've never really been to an old folks home but I have seen them in movies and the like, they really creep me out (old people's rooms are also pretty freaky to me as well), that must've been a really nightmare inducing moment you experienced there. :shock:

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Future protagonists & sins *POSSIBLE CHARACTER SPOILERS*

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 7988
Speaking of old folks, I'm kinda surprised they "forgot" to use something like a war veteran. With the Call of Duty/Battlefield and many war games raging on in this generation it would make some sense in terms of sales, you know? Homecoming had Alex but it's not that simple... He was delusional and was like a rookie to begin with.

I'm talking about a male character (50-70 years old) that fought in a bloody war but didn't wanted to kill anyone etc... Guy just wanted to protect his country and if it meant killing others then so be it. Turns out he had lots of post-traumatic disorders associated with the war crimes, with what he saw and felt and just became sort of like a shell of what he once was. But no "I forgot" plot-twists, please.

Then you could add something that since he's "old" he needed a vacation. And then there's the perfect place for it: Silent-fucking-Hill!

But, for example, if the developers chose the "nowadays" route for such story then the vacation bit wouldn't make any sense since pretty much the only money cow of the town is in shambles...

As for the gameplay, since the character's not so strong as he was before I'd like to see something similar to Shattered Memories. But in the golden days the character had heavy training for the war so throw some combat too. But only when necessary.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 19 Dec 2010
Notes left: 115
I wouldn't mind the populated SH otherworld if it was handled similarly to the 2nd half of 1408, where the population he sees isn't exactly real. (and not the actual population of SH)

The idea about seeing monsters instead of people is an idea I've been waiting for a later game to tackle and not just hint at by Vincent in SH3. If we play as someone who actually lives in SH, hates it there and is being attacked by these monsters, and later we find out those monsters were actually people who made your life in SH a living hell for you and that's just how the protagonists saw them, it could work if executed well IMO.

Would be even better if they only had that idea for just one game, because then it makes you wonder if it's happening in future games after it and personally it would give me an uneasy feeling just thinking that.

As for my choice of a protagonist in the OP: I'd love to see what they can do with another character that has done nothing wrong, but the town still plays with them and manifests their fears (loss, being abandoned, nightmares he/she has had).

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 03 Jan 2005
Notes left: 4685
Last seen at: Colorado
I worked in a nursing home for a few years and there were a couple or few people that swore a certain part of it was haunted. Myself, not believing in it, never experienced anything of the sort.
I think I could see a nursing home making for a decent story and setting though, without a haunted/ghost aspect. Fear of old age, mortality, physical problems overcoming one's life, loneliness (living in a facility instead of with family), loss of independence, etc.- can all be some VERY strong fears and emotions and could really be played upon for some interesting monsters and emotional stories, I'd say. It could also turn out to be really corny, but so could anything. It could at least make for a good dark part to a game's story.

Mephisto- I'm also really fond of the idea of a war veteran being really played upon. There's so much potential, and I'm always extremely interested in war experiences anyway (makes up the majority of my reading material!). A well done combination of that with SH would be truly "epic" for me.

Lafayette_Reynolds wrote:
The idea about seeing monsters instead of people is an idea I've been waiting for a later game to tackle and not just hint at by Vincent in SH3. If we play as someone who actually lives in SH, hates it there and is being attacked by these monsters, and later we find out those monsters were actually people who made your life in SH a living hell for you and that's just how the protagonists saw them, it could work if executed well IMO.

Would be even better if they only had that idea for just one game, because then it makes you wonder if it's happening in future games after it and personally it would give me an uneasy feeling just thinking that.
I'm pretty sure that would make no small amount of people insist that the "seeing monsters instead of people" thing applied to the entire series. I'm not as fond of the concept, myself, although the Vincent remark in SH3 was nice.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 20 Oct 2009
Notes left: 46
Last seen at: Texas
I know a lot of people hate when they bring the Order into the games, but I think if done well, it could be really good. I also wouldn't mind seeing another female protagonist.

What if after the events of Homecoming, because their numbers were decimated, the Order felt compelled to bring in fresh recruits instead of just raising up the children of the Order's members to practice their ways? They'd have to have a pretty slick sales pitch in order to make their sect feel appealing to outsiders. And religion has long been known to be a source of solace for troubled souls.

Suppose the game starts out with a young teenaged runaway that felt hopeless and lost when suddenly the Order comes along offering her comfort and acceptance. They promise her heaven, and for a while, it seems like they've delivered. Everything seems idealized, the world more peaceful and perfect. A mentor in the Order, perhaps a sweet, middle-aged rather naive type, suggests she start training as one of the clergy, so she decides to become a priestess. Once in a while, the real world intrudes on her perceived peaceful world. And then, the more she progresses through the ranks of the order, the more things are asked of her that make her feel very uncomfortable before becoming outright horrifying, all things she's told will help to bring about a paradise eternal. Eventually, the hell that is Otherworld makes its appearance and she sees what it is that the Order really brings with it.

Eventually she would be faced with a choice- try to thwart the Order in their efforts to resurrect the dark god that was spewed by Heather and Claudia (perhaps with the help of the Flauros that has been put back together through the course of the game), or decide that she wants ultimate power herself and to be the new vessel for the god. Either way, she may end up feeling more and more of the evil growing within her and the good option could require that she die before it can culminate and the evil option could mean a struggle to master it so she could direct its power for her own uses. I like the idea of the good ending leaving her as a sort of guardian spirit, almost like a counterweight to Pyramid Head, that watches over innocent people that accidentally stray into Silent Hill and keeps them from perceiving the horrors of the town.

It could be called Silent Hill: Broken Heaven.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 24 Jun 2014
Notes left: 1
My idea would be focused on an artist, who's come to Silent Hill to find inspiration for his paintings. As an artists, creativity, imagination, and perception would be key in his mind. Now imagine those elements combined with Silent Hill's nature of taking the aspect of someone mind and using it to kill them.

This artist would have lived with his father, who taught him to hunt animals. After his mother died, his father became an alcoholic, and began to abuse this child. Finally snapping, the artist killed his father with a hunting rifle. The courts labled hims mentally distubed and sent him to a Asylum basically. After years of counseling, the now a young man would finally being his life.

At this point, the Artist has moved on with his life, and is far more stable than before. But for some reason, he has been called to the town. It would be revealed that he really didn't get over what he did, and lied to the therapists to get out of the madhouse. He pours his self-loathing, rage at the world, and his fear of being a monster into his paintings.

The town would begin creating multiple monsters based on the Artist's mind, and one of them would be the Hunter.

The Hunter is an idea I posted in an another Silent Hill Forum, but I wanted to get a different reaction from you guys.

The Hunter would have similar traits to Pyramid Head design wise, having a somewhat trinagular shape to his head. But other than that, the Hunter is his own enity

See, Pyramid Head was all about punishment, and was their to torture James for his crimes. My idea is that the Hunter started off as a Pyramid Head copy, but due to the Artists chaotic mindset, turned the Hunter into something radically different.

The Hunter phyiscally, is nothing like Pyramid Head. It's agile, quick, climbs on ceilings and walls. It has a lightly armor suit with equipment on it, with tubes filled with blood connecting it to machine on its back. It has bloody claws that when the blood drips out, the liquid melts the floor. It arm's are coverd

The Hunter would symbolize many things: The paitence of the Artists father while hunting rabbits or other animals, the intelligence and creativity of the Artist, the rage at world (The Hunter attacks everything.), the Artist's need for punishment and most importantly, the Artist's fear that he is a monster.

But what would make the Hunter truly dangeorus is that he isn't just a Pawn of Silent Hill. Due to the chaoitc nature of the Artists mind, the Hunter would be nearly sentient, able to make it's own decision's.

In the cause of the Otherworld, there would be Prey sections, were the Hunter has set traps for you, and you must avoid them while fighting off monsters.

While I'll post more later, just tell me what you think so far.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

^I think you've got some interesting ideas in there- the prey sections, and most of the traits of the Hunter- but I think you should do away with making the Hunter partly like Pyramid Head. We don't need anymore version of those- it'd be better if he was completely unique, and you already have a number of cool, unique traits for him.

The main story isn't very wow-ing to be honest, but it's not bad and could perhaps be good if implemented well or having a little more added to it.

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 06 Mar 2008
Notes left: 1464
Last seen at: Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium
While I like all the different ideas in this thread, most of you forget that job titles and other roles restricts how much a player can relate to a character. I think that's why its so hard for me to relate to Travis and Murphy. A truck driver and a prisoner?

When you play as Harry, James, Heather and Henry, at the start you don't really know what kind of roles they have other than being characters with feelings and emotions. During the game, you will learn more about what kind of people they are. That's the key. By throwing in at the start that "Look, here's a prisoner" or "Look, here's a war veteran" you've basically already explained the character too much.

For a Silent Hill game, the ideal is really the average Joe type with no specific role or title. The key is to explore how all of us "normal people" are actually people with deep stories and emotions.

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11978
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
We knew James was a clerk and that Harry was a writer.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3229
We knew Heather as a teenager with a mystery surrounding her birth within the first few minutes of SH3.

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 7988
And let's not forget about Jonipoon's favorite character, Henry. You find out that he is a photographer at, perhaps, 10-15mins. into the game.

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11978
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
Was Henry a photographer by trade or just by hobby? I always had been under the impression it was just a pastime for him, like bird watching or masturbating.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Missing since: 26 Sep 2008
Notes left: 3265
Last seen at: United States, Texas
I would have thought for a guy who's a photographer by trade, he would have a lot more stuff like a dark room, more pictures, etc.

Until you are near

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

I don't really agree, Jonipoon. Just because we're not of the same profession as somebody doesn't mean we can't relate to them. In fact, knowing a little more about them kind of helps us (or at least me) feel more for them, rather than being like, "look, here's a stranger you know nothing about." Yes, it's good to learn more about a character throughout a story, but revealing their profession and some things early isn't bad.

And as for Henry's profession... his partaking in photography is the closest thing we have to a hint at that, right? I think his lack of equipment/dark room at home makes it more likely that he does it by profession and has his things at his workplace/studio. If it was a hobby, he'd have to have all those things at home.

Missing since: 26 Dec 2004
Notes left: 2560
Last seen at: Insomnia land, where I am Queen!
Quote:
We knew James was a clerk and that Harry was a writer.

According to the instruction manuals, James' occupation is Protagonist, and Harry's is Writer/Protagonist. :D

Peachy's Predictions on Tumblr
Peachy's Predictions. on LiveJournal

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 06 Mar 2008
Notes left: 1464
Last seen at: Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium
My ideal Silent Hill protagonist is someone who doesn't have monsters in their closet (which is what every game post-Room has been trying to copy from James in SH2).

It's OK to have experienced some sort of hardships or depression in your life, that's simply human. But in all honesty, most of us are not murderers, prisoners, or patients with mental disorders.

Harry and Henry are both good examples of "average joe". Harry lost his wife (something that's not very unusual), and Henry is an awkward introvert (something that's not very unusual, too). I guess you could throw Heather into the mix as well, minus the part where she is the reincarnation of a powerful psychic.

When you think about it, in both 1, 3, and 4, the antagonists are actually the ones with a troubled past/childhood. Alessa is the presumptive villain in SH1 and she was abused, Claudia is the villain in SH3 and she was abused, Walter is the villain in SH4 and he was abused. So James in SH2 is really the only exception, and in some way you could say that he is the true antagonist of SH2.

SH2's uniqueness shouldn't be replicated (or overused, so to speak).

Here are some normal hardships that you could give to a future SH protagonist, without turning them into freaks with monsters in their closets.
- Having lost a dear loved one or family member (but don't make them the murderer!!!)
- Having suffered from alcoholism
- Having suffered from some sort of depression
- Having been bullied in school
- Having divorced parents
- Being socially awkward
I guess what I'm looking for is more human flaws rather than hardships.

And here are some attributes that are a big NO NO to me when it comes to SH protagonists:
- Suffering from amnesia and other mental disorders
- Having been abused as a child
- Having murdered someone

The villain should be the one who's insane, while the protagonist should be the flawed, yet heroic character.