Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 21 Nov 2018

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Will the success of the RE2 remake influence Konami?

Missing since: 06 Mar 2008
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium
The Resident Evil series has been revitalized thanks to Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, and with both the RE2 remake and a highly anticipated 8th installment on the horizon the series is stronger and more popular than ever before.

Kind of feels like a stab in the wound for the current state of Silent Hill, don't you think?

Now, I really shouldn't overestimate the people over at Konami now, because over the years they've constantly proven themselves to not understand a single thing about how to run a video game company. However, there's one thing I do hope they're still interested in: making money. I think they're still very well aware of the fact that Resident Evil and Silent Hill have been like frenemies over the past 20 years. Both series share similar history and are generally considered to be the two best survival horror series in history.

So, PERHAPS there's a chance that they will look at the success of the RE2 remake (hitting stores in January 2019) and be like "Oh, you know what? Maybe we should remake Silent Hill as well."

Even if they, against all odds, decide to do something like this, there's of course the possibility (read: risk) that they'll just hand over the development to some small obscure Western studio and say "Remake the first Silent Hill game for us with this budget, you have 1 year". The dream scenario (read: fat chance) is of course that they'll bring back some of the core members who worked on the original Silent Hill and let them create the best modern experience as possible.

A remake, if well done, is definitely a chance for a series to get revitalized.

The problem with Silent Hill, of course, is that it's much more complicated in its lore and story elements than Resident Evil. While Resident Evil is pretty straightforward and more grounded in science fiction (bad guys create virus, virus spreads, the heroes come to save the day), Silent Hill on the other hand is not that simple and much more mystical and paranormal. In other words, there's a much bigger risk of fucking up the lore of Silent Hill in an eventual remake. For sure, fans wouldn't like that. The solution would of course be to have the remake take place in an alternate universe and therefore somewhat serve as a "soft reboot" for the franchise.

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: Will the success of the RE2 remake influence Konami?

Missing since: 16 Aug 2014
Notes left: 459
I believe Silent Hills was supposed to be a soft reboot, so there’s that. At this point, Konami simply doesn’t care.

Hope House Careworker

Missing since: 12 May 2009
Notes left: 678
Last seen at: Ontario, Canada
Konami will see the success and say "This is exactly what fans want. We know what we need to do"

and proceed to make a Silent Hill battle royale multiplayer game where 100 people have to survive against the monsters of Silent Hill using the combat style from the game considered the best in the series (SH2) and the winner becomes Pyramid Head in the next game. Oh and they'll make it for next to no money with some obscure company in Liberia no one's ever heard of that will go bankrupt right after the game's release.

Then not promote it at all and then get mad at how it doesn't sell more than 8 copies.

I do believe this is how Konami views success.

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 06 Mar 2008
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium
Perhaps Capcom should just buy Konami.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 12 Jul 2009
Notes left: 381
Last seen at: New Zealand
Well, even with the rivalry in fandom, at least RE is still getting new games.

So I guess they win by default.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 3365
Konami is interested in making money.

But not at high risk.

They want safe easy returns, and also low investment at higher profit margins, usually on a recurring revenue model, which is why they've gone in the direction they have.

If a SH remake does happen, it'll most likely be if a third party pitches it, while taking on most of the financial risk of development.

So if Bluepoint pitches them a remake and agrees to fund its development entirely, with Konami only taking the publisher deal after the fact and taking its percentage of publisher/IP licensor revenue, then it'll get done.

Konami has been very successful in the mobile market.

On the other hand, Capcom hasn't done as well, and hence why they are more inclined to keep their feet in the console side of things that they know well.

Whereas, Konami has killed and bled out most of their veteran console staff.

Even their ZOE2 4K VR port is an outsourced project.

I doubt they're eager to revisit doing a proper Silent Hill 2-3-4 upgrade or take on the necessary expense of a SH1 Remake.

There are undoubtedly still staff at Konami who I imagine would love to do it, but it's going to be a fight with the higher ups to justify it. So as I said, it'll probably only happen if some Western Dev pitches it.