Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 21 Apr 2019

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Fearing Judgement for liking Silent Hill

Missing since: 27 Nov 2016
Notes left: 117
Last seen at: The Lakeview Hotel
Does anyone ever fear what others will think about them because of Silent Hill? I absolutely adore the series, even my father played the first one years ago. It is an amazing series and I still play them even years later.

My issue though, is that I can not even go out in public reading one of the game guides or talk about the series in public without fearing what others may think. I never really felt that way until lately, I think it is just I never can find anyone who also likes the series where I live. Do not get me wrong, I will never quit playing the games, I just feel outcasted.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject: Re: Fearing Judgement for liking Silent Hill

Missing since: 22 Feb 2012
Notes left: 805
Well, you're in an actual Silent Hill forum, so when it comes to this particular community, no one is likely going to act like a jerk just because you tell them you're a fan of this series. Sadly, I cannot say the same about a lot of other forums for video games...

I've been in a lot of survival horror forums since 2003 and many, many people associated with these message boards are vitriolic, immature and quite frankly, sinister. I'm not sure what exactly caused all of this hassle in the first place, but I got abused by many members linked to these websites, and they also had me blackballed. When I went to similar forums, I received nothing but grief over and over again, and for over 15 years, it has been getting me down. You can find tons of links about it on Google if you look for "Grace Saunders" or something.

Recently, I had these two arseholes bothering me on YouTube last year, because I chose to be a white knight for a guy who loves Resident Evil. He frequently uploaded videos to his YouTube channel, prior to the E3 event, all of which had similar remarks about Capcom being liars and money grabbers. In many of the videos, he can be heard constantly raising his voice and complaining about Capcom destroying the very franchise that he has admired since he was a kid. And I agree with his points. They have been doing that for over a decade now, and I don't care about the popularity of the remake of the second game whatsoever. It's still not enough to convince me that they are not just doing this sort of thing for to make a cheap profit off of people's blind love.

Anyway, these jerks had already been making videos about him, making fun of his overdramatic ways of making a statement about something he is passionate about. So it was clear that they were mocking him based on his need to vent over Capcom, and then they went about claiming that he sets a bad example for the community, and that for this, he should be blacklisted. This came about because they felt as if his content was supposedly 'misleading' the fans. No, they actually said that, even though countless other fans make similar videos.

At some point, I decided to step in because I've been viewing this man's content for months now, and I made a series of video responses to what they said, trying to point out that it was arrogant to bash this guy just over his opinions. Unfortunately, it got very heated and I ended up saying some controversial things that is not worth repeating here. So they made videos about me too, editing out certain parts and trying to pass me off as being hypocritical, and claiming that I said I was going to false flag them. The sad part is, I thought I was being funny by using a toothbrush as a microphone, and in some videos, I was not wearing a shirt because it was hot. In another video, I admitted that mice were roaming around in my accommodation, and I had one in my bath. I'm not sure what possessed me to do that, but I made myself look like such a retard. They clearly know I'm a loner too, because I have autism, so they continued to make a spectacle of me because I appeared to be coming across as an even bigger mongoloid than the guy they were initially slagging off.

All this was basically playing out because I originally stuck up for this Latin American guy who was screaming in his videos, and in at least one case, he was almost crying because he believes Capcom have been disrespecting Shinji Mikami's legacy. At one point, he even said that Capcom would end up like Konami. Whether or not you believe him, is up to you. Seriously though, his screaming is deafening.

The user in question calls himself Nemesis. He used to have a hyphen after his name, but he removed that, so he is now just known as Nemesis. Well, word got back to Nemesis that I had been saying negative things about America, and I admitted that I've got an Encyclopedia Dramatica entry, which has been online since early 2008. There's stuff on there about me losing my job and being banned from dozens of forums, and well, you can imagine what else. Seriously though, I've gave up trying to get garbage like that erased from the Internet. What goes online, stays online!

So after all this babyish bull crap had died down a bit, all three apparently got on the same page, just because I got outed for being crazier than they are. Now, I can admit that with Nemesis, I was looking for someone to reflect on my personal views about those games as well, like an echo chamber. However, I wish I could turn back the clock. Then I probably would not have bothered trying to defend a guy who is old enough to defend himself. But I do get the impression that he took on board some of their criticism after all, and sided with them to save face. It would make him look bad if he fell into their trap, so he tried to at least be professional about it and own up to his flaws. He has since removed a few videos, probably because I made a video poking fun at him, and he acts way more calm nowadays. For some reason, I get the impression he is trying to be high and mighty by growing out his beard, but I digress. By saying things like that, they will claim I'm gay again.

All this has came at a bad time in general, because I suffer from severe stress. My anxiety makes it hard to do much, and I rely on my mother helping me out these days. I've not got a social life either, nor do I have support workers, so what social life I do have is limited to online services. Nobody on YouTube or likewise, even cares about my opinions about Resident Evil, nor do I get anybody giving a damn over the fact I can prove I've been in films. In fact, I had major problems because of my prior support workers. I've been in jail a lot too, because I contacted people I am not allowed to contact. It is ridiculous. Now I'm owe the council a lot of money. It's hundreds of pounds, actually, because my housing benefit only covered me for 13 weeks. A sheriff I went up in front of in October gave me a concurrent sentence for an unrelated matter, so I was in jail for way longer than I was meant to be. I'm not able to appeal the debt...and yeah, there is quite a lot of it too.

You have to be very careful with the Internet, but most sensible people will know that anyway. Those running YouTube don't always remove attack videos right away, because I guess if everybody cried abuse, they would have many videos taken down, so in other words, we would all be doing it. The people who perteprate this sort of abuse also like to back off the videos, so you may be screwed if they have already ripped the videos and saved them offline in order to publish these elsewhere. Someone did that to me on Kiwi Farms. There's probably not much I can do about this harassment. Like I said, this is nothing new. They've been targeting me for years, so that my rep has been destroyed. But I advise anyone to be wary of trolls who set about doing this to spite people they simply have petty disagreements with.

A list of these videos can be viewed in the link below. I'm the guy with glasses, called Peter Anderson. The only video I've gotten removed is the one by this Joseph person.

In some of the videos, I'm referred to as a manchild and a nut hugging monkey.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... jemqpmvVRr

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 27 Nov 2016
Notes left: 117
Last seen at: The Lakeview Hotel
Deer Rest FOA wrote:
Well, you're in an actual Silent Hill forum, so when it comes to this particular community, no one is likely going to act like a jerk just because you tell them you're a fan of this series. Sadly, I cannot say the same about a lot of other forums for video games...

I've been in a lot of survival horror forums since 2003 and many, many people associated with these message boards are vitriolic, immature and quite frankly, sinister. I'm not sure what exactly caused all of this hassle in the first place, but I got abused by many members linked to these websites, and they also had me blackballed. When I went to similar forums, I received nothing but grief over and over again, and for over 15 years, it has been getting me down. You can find tons of links about it on Google if you look for "Grace Saunders" or something.

Recently, I had these two arseholes bothering me on YouTube last year, because I chose to be a white knight for a guy who loves Resident Evil. He frequently uploaded videos to his YouTube channel, prior to the E3 event, all of which had similar remarks about Capcom being liars and money grabbers. In many of the videos, he can be heard constantly raising his voice and complaining about Capcom destroying the very franchise that he has admired since he was a kid. And I agree with his points. They have been doing that for over a decade now, and I don't care about the popularity of the remake of the second game whatsoever. It's still not enough to convince me that they are not just doing this sort of thing for to make a cheap profit off of people's blind love.

Anyway, these jerks had already been making videos about him, making fun of his overdramatic ways of making a statement about something he is passionate about. So it was clear that they were mocking him based on his need to vent over Capcom, and then they went about claiming that he sets a bad example for the community, and that for this, he should be blacklisted. This came about because they felt as if his content was supposedly 'misleading' the fans. No, they actually said that, even though countless other fans make similar videos.

At some point, I decided to step in because I've been viewing this man's content for months now, and I made a series of video responses to what they said, trying to point out that it was arrogant to bash this guy just over his opinions. Unfortunately, it got very heated and I ended up saying some controversial things that is not worth repeating here. So they made videos about me too, editing out certain parts and trying to pass me off as being hypocritical, and claiming that I said I was going to false flag them. The sad part is, I thought I was being funny by using a toothbrush as a microphone, and in some videos, I was not wearing a shirt because it was hot. In another video, I admitted that mice were roaming around in my accommodation, and I had one in my bath. I'm not sure what possessed me to do that, but I made myself look like such a retard. They clearly know I'm a loner too, because I have autism, so they continued to make a spectacle of me because I appeared to be coming across as an even bigger mongoloid than the guy they were initially slagging off.

All this was basically playing out because I originally stuck up for this Latin American guy who was screaming in his videos, and in at least one case, he was almost crying because he believes Capcom have been disrespecting Shinji Mikami's legacy. At one point, he even said that Capcom would end up like Konami. Whether or not you believe him, is up to you. Seriously though, his screaming is deafening.

The user in question calls himself Nemesis. He used to have a hyphen after his name, but he removed that, so he is now just known as Nemesis. Well, word got back to Nemesis that I had been saying negative things about America, and I admitted that I've got an Encyclopedia Dramatica entry, which has been online since early 2008. There's stuff on there about me losing my job and being banned from dozens of forums, and well, you can imagine what else. Seriously though, I've gave up trying to get garbage like that erased from the Internet. What goes online, stays online!

So after all this babyish bull crap had died down a bit, all three apparently got on the same page, just because I got outed for being crazier than they are. Now, I can admit that with Nemesis, I was looking for someone to reflect on my personal views about those games as well, like an echo chamber. However, I wish I could turn back the clock. Then I probably would not have bothered trying to defend a guy who is old enough to defend himself. But I do get the impression that he took on board some of their criticism after all, and sided with them to save face. It would make him look bad if he fell into their trap, so he tried to at least be professional about it and own up to his flaws. He has since removed a few videos, probably because I made a video poking fun at him, and he acts way more calm nowadays. For some reason, I get the impression he is trying to be high and mighty by growing out his beard, but I digress. By saying things like that, they will claim I'm gay again.

All this has came at a bad time in general, because I suffer from severe stress. My anxiety makes it hard to do much, and I rely on my mother helping me out these days. I've not got a social life either, nor do I have support workers, so what social life I do have is limited to online services. Nobody on YouTube or likewise, even cares about my opinions about Resident Evil, nor do I get anybody giving a damn over the fact I can prove I've been in films. In fact, I had major problems because of my prior support workers. I've been in jail a lot too, because I contacted people I am not allowed to contact. It is ridiculous. Now I'm owe the council a lot of money. It's hundreds of pounds, actually, because my housing benefit only covered me for 13 weeks. A sheriff I went up in front of in October gave me a concurrent sentence for an unrelated matter, so I was in jail for way longer than I was meant to be. I'm not able to appeal the debt...and yeah, there is quite a lot of it too.

You have to be very careful with the Internet, but most sensible people will know that anyway. Those running YouTube don't always remove attack videos right away, because I guess if everybody cried abuse, they would have many videos taken down, so in other words, we would all be doing it. The people who perteprate this sort of abuse also like to back off the videos, so you may be screwed if they have already ripped the videos and saved them offline in order to publish these elsewhere. Someone did that to me on Kiwi Farms. There's probably not much I can do about this harassment. Like I said, this is nothing new. They've been targeting me for years, so that my rep has been destroyed. But I advise anyone to be wary of trolls who set about doing this to spite people they simply have petty disagreements with.

A list of these videos can be viewed in the link below. I'm the guy with glasses, called Peter Anderson. The only video I've gotten removed is the one by this Joseph person.

In some of the videos, I'm referred to as a manchild and a nut hugging monkey.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... jemqpmvVRr

That is so sad, I am sorry for what all has happened to you. It sounds heartbreaking the stuff you have gone through. You have been through so much in life, and it is saddening about what happened with your experience on Youtube.

I have always been scared of what people think about me if they knew I liked Silent Hill. I mean, it is an incredible series and I adore it, but I often fear people would judge me for it.

Brookhaven Receptionist

I think the series is only alive today because they moved towards action successfully. Part of me feels like the franchise technically ended its original wave of games in 2005 when Capcom took over from Shinji. Since he is not the holder of the publishing rights, Capcom retained the copyright. They have done an okay job with some games, but I see a big difference in the quality with the old ones versus the 'modern' entries. Despite better graphics today, they do not have the same appeal.

Konami tried to copy Capcom, but it just didn't go as well. I am amazed that Konami hardly acknowledged the series 2 weeks ago. But Silent Hill is not Raccoon City. They need to keep it strictly horror. But horror is a niche category.

Hope House Careworker

Missing since: 12 May 2009
Notes left: 685
Last seen at: Ontario, Canada
I personally couldn't give the slightest of a fuck when it comes to what people thinking negatively about liking Silent Hill. This series has had a massively positive effect on my life for a ton of reasons.

Luckily, I've never really run into any problems of judgement or wariness because of it. Most people love it or at least find it interesting. At worst, it's just not their thing and they don't care.

I only had one friend who thought it was fucked up and I was fucked up for liking it. Which I just found hilarious. I remember at an old lan gaming convention absolutely forever ago, when he was sitting beside me I'd put Fukuro on loop when I wasn't around. But he wouldn't come close to the series. At. All.

That said, Silent Hill is a pretty 'outsider' thing in its own right. But also consider the vast amount of hype something like PT had and the fact that's STILL mourned by a broad base of gamers. It's still a very beloved series even if Konami prefers the crackpipe.

So don't feel too down, and love what you love. You have good reasons to love this series. Maybe some people will be interested as to why you do. I know I've brought a ton of people into it, just by rambling about it, or showing them the music etc.

Brookhaven Receptionist

As long as Konami is still a company, they aren't a dead company, which leaves us with minimalistic hope. They just gave up on games for consoles. Now, if they could undo their stupidity from 4 years ago, I'm all for giving them another go.

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 06 Mar 2008
Notes left: 1475
Last seen at: Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium
Interestingly enough, many people I talk to in real life have actually heard about Silent Hill. Quite a few of them have only seen the movie though, and they're just "slightly" aware of it being a video game from the beginning.

When it comes to people whom have actually played the games in one way or another, I've only encountered positive reactions when I say its my favorite video game series.

It's only when you start mentioning the more weird aspects of Silent Hill that people feel funny, like the occult stuff and "giving birth to God" and so on. Or when you try to explain the state of the town and the Otherworld, people have a hard time grasping that and I can see why. It's not exactly your everyday story or regular popcorn flick.

Brookhaven Receptionist

This is off topic, but what happened to the PS4 release for Crying Is Not Enough?

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/06/01 ... -ps4-xbox/

That looked like an interesting homage to Resident Evil, and Silent Hill.

I am half glad that indie developers still do games like this, even if they are terrible...

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 7992
Nah, I don't give a fuck. It's nice to find people that like the same shit as you but when you don't it's like, whatever. You move on. But I admit that it gets annoying when people make you feel shitty for stuff that you like and they don't but nowadays I just brush it off. It doesn't matter, you know.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 3374
That's kinda strange. I don't see why anyone would care what you are reading in public unless it's some porno cover.

You're not walking around with a pyramid head on, are you? :P

Unless someone has actually confronted you or something, I wouldn't worry about it. Sure, someone might just glance at you and what you're reading out of curiosity, but I feel that maybe you're a bit too paranoid.

Then again, I'm a big tall guy who sits down on the subway train and reads girly shoujo manga openly. So maybe my tolerance is higher...

Brookhaven Receptionist

jdnation wrote:
That's kinda strange. I don't see why anyone would care what you are reading in public unless it's some porno cover.

You're not walking around with a pyramid head on, are you? :P

Unless someone has actually confronted you or something, I wouldn't worry about it. Sure, someone might just glance at you and what you're reading out of curiosity, but I feel that maybe you're a bit too paranoid.

Then again, I'm a big tall guy who sits down on the subway train and reads girly shoujo manga openly. So maybe my tolerance is higher...

:mrgreen:

Comics are bad for you.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 05 Aug 2010
Notes left: 566
Last seen at: Nathan Ave.
Try explaining to people why you travel to a different part of Europe every year, just because you're attending a SH Live concert (performed by Akira & Mary). THEN let me know how judged you feel...

Brookhaven Receptionist

Honestly, just play the games YOU yourself like. Don't listen to people's views on forums all of the time. I don't, because the forums I know of tend to be full of vicious fanboy/girl types, and just prepubescent morons that add like 4 words in a comment, which is not appealing to me.

NeoGAF, ahem! :roll:

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 17 Mar 2019
Notes left: 1
I think age groups, more than location, determine the fan-base of Silent Hill. Generally, younger kids will scratch their heads about Silent Hill along with other old single-player games. Those who are remotely familiar with the title probably sees it as a relic of the past and an unimportant one at that. Why wouldn't they? It does not contain heavy shooting, multiplayer, and points to rake or rewards to reap. You would have a better chance of finding a Silent Hill enthusiast among older demographics who understand and appreciate plot-emphasis, single-player games.

Still, Silent Hill is certainly not for the mainstream. Its heavy symbolism, melancholic tone, and frightening lore are not for everybody even if they grew up around the PlayStation One era punctuated by single-player titles.

That being said, this forum is designed for admirers of the series--like you and I--to come and share thoughts, experiences, critiques, etc. without feeling like an outcast. And I am glad that I stumbled upon it just now.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Really, I reckon the reason the series ended up sucking is that Capcom has had an influence over even Konami. When you take a horror game and try to twist it into something else like a pretzel, it is no surprise that a franchise goes way downhill. Like you say, people also get older too. Games change.

Capcom only remains as successful as they do because they have blended horror and action successfully, even if purists like myself know that it can often be a blessing or a curse. But it's a fact just the same.