Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 26 Aug 2019

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: This game is better than silent hill 2 imo

Missing since: 01 Mar 2018
Notes left: 8
People seem to think that this whole psychological angle, and dealing with personal demons, ect. was just invented in silent hill 2. Silent hill 1 typically gets dismissed as simple occult horror.. However, Silent hill 1 was essentially, if not almost exactly the same thing, they were just slightly more subtle about it. In the game, everything you encounter is a product of Alessa's mind, just like james and company in Silent hill 2. The cult was really just there to have a reason as to why an individual would have been so mistreated and therefore have such a tortured and twisted psyche. Just like James in Silent hill 2, every piece of the environment is tied to alessa's past, her misgivings, her abuse, her emotions. Yes, whichcraft is part of the the backstory, but it has very little to do with what the game is about at its core, which is again, nearly identical to 2. Youre traversing a person's psyche, and putting together a mystery of of what has happened in this person's life. Only difference being its a story of child abuse and parenting gone wrong (fueled by fanatical religious beliefs) rather than a relationship gone wrong.
I actually think this game is better, because its actually JUST as psychology as the sequel (its just more subtle about it, so people don't seem to notice) They think because theres a cult involved that the nightmare is just a product of occult witchcraft when its actually just purely alessas tormented psyche. Vincent confirmes this in game 3. "You THIINK this is the work of GOD? This is nothing more than your own personal nightmare just like Alessa 17 years ago!" Also, its not like... cliche psyche 101 shit like a lot of Silent hill 2 is. Guy was bullied for being fat/ ugly, so now he lashes out and is paranoid that people are making fun of him. Girl was sexually abused, so now shes self loathing and is generally afraid of men.
Now dont get me wrong, I love Silent hill 2. I think it's brilliant, but it pisses me of that its the only game that gets any praise, when the first one actually does alot of the same things that 2 gets praised for in a more subtle and clever way (imo

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Re: This game is better than silent hill 2 imo

Missing since: 06 Mar 2008
Notes left: 1482
Last seen at: Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium
I've always liked SH1 more than SH2. And you're right that SH1 does a lot of things that SH2 does, SH2 simply expanded upon what was already established in the first game (which is what sequels are supposed to do).

SH2 has less to do with the cult than any other game in the series made by Team Silent. Not saying that's a bad thing either, after all its an amazing game in terms of atmosphere and emotion. Gameplay-wise however, its my least-replayed game among the first 4, and the story is not as interesting as SH1 and SH4.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 22 Feb 2012
Notes left: 878
I like them just as much, although the first game has outdated graphics. I honestly think it missed the boat by just 2 years. I'd loved to have seen it as a PS2 title.

Looking at the beginning of 2, it still looks wonderful in 2019. You almost forget you're playing a horror game. It's a pity that the Xbox 360 version sucks ass!

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 05 Nov 2010
Notes left: 993
Last seen at: Kentucky
I didn’t play any SH’s until 2009. I searched up a no commentary run of SH1 and within minutes I knew it was for me, and for $6 I downloaded it onto my PS3.
I really adore SH1. It’s so fun, and yet on the other hand it’s completely unrelenting in its aggressive atmosphere. I was so surprised by how well it held up back then, and still am (replayed it a few months ago).

I don’t agree that it’s better than SH2, which of course is completely subjective. But I do think that SH1 is the more replayable one of the two. I’ve replayed few other games as much as SH1. It’s short, exhilarating, and I never get tired of the bosses, music, or scenery.

SH1 is a killer experience. Definitely in my top 3 of the franchise.

Brookhaven Receptionist

It seems unlikely Konami will revive the series, but I agree that we have to go forward and not keep living in the past. This is why I'm bored with Capcom always setting the Resident Evil games in 1998. It's like, FFS, move on past that time period. It's all done and dusted!

Milk! Milk! Milk!

Subway Guard

Missing since: 02 Aug 2005
Notes left: 1523
Last seen at: Colombia
SH1 still scares the crap out of me... The soundtrack, the music, the creatures, the locations... Everything is perfect in that game; SH2 barely wins in the plot and graphic aspects

Brookhaven Receptionist

At least Silent Hill had a new story each time, that ended in the same game on a satisfactory level. Other than the third game being a true follow-up to the original, they were hardly actually what I'd call sequels, despite some references, like how you find the news piece on Walter outside the apartments, and the creepy host talks about him in the elevator that you descend in the hospital.

All of the recent Resident Evil games mostly have a story that goes nowhere, or Capcom is constantly doing remakes or spin-off games, all set in the year 1998. Come on, Capcom. We are almost into 2020 and you're stuck rehashing 1998. Not only that, but we're also almost into the PS5 era and 1998 is clearly still a thing for your company. Get with the times, Capcom!