Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 13 Dec 2019

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: I came across this today!

Missing since: 16 Aug 2014
Notes left: 512
Interesting. I guess this could mean something. Or not. Knowing Konami. I noticed it says online/computer/video games on the Trademark, but I’m not an expert.

Gravedigger

Yeah. What might give me some hope is that next to this news, it’s Silent Hill’s 20th year.

Also, I can’t stand RE4 either, but not just for the mechanics. The storytelling is horrendous. In the way the story is currently constituted, it would only make sense for Mendez and Salazar to be as they are if they were horrible people before Saddler came onto the scene. Silent Hill 3 handled fanaticism much better. Claudia at least initially was conflicted over the Order/the Cult.

Mendez and Salazar were supposedly originally decent people, yet they immediately accepted Saddler and all of the sudden became wicked and fanatical. On top of that, they’re supposed to be highly intelligent.

Perhaps they were rotten religious fanatics from the beginning. After all, the little peasants had to live simple lives. Mendez was a Roman Catholic priest.

I also don’t buy the 1st Castellan as a decent person either, as he was a Royal.

The popular motto throughout history among rulers has been Divide and Conquer/Divide and Rule. As far as I know, this was during the first Spanish Inquisition, which makes all of the Castellan family doubly suspect.

Organized Christianity and organized religion in general have been a real boon to kings, rulers, dictators, fanatics, bullies, bigots, and murderers.

Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Missing since: 06 Jul 2003
Notes left: 4277
Last seen at: Your Special Place
As I understand it from sources still there, the series isn't dead, and Konami routinely kicks it to see what, if anything, it might be able to do next with it. That said, I would very much think this is because the trademark is about to expire and little more.

The Faithful | The Seductress | The Alchemist | The Cult | SHHF FAQs | Fanlisting | Contact | Love to game?

© 2003-2019 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of http://www.silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 15 Oct 2011
Notes left: 573
Last seen at: Phoenix
Deer Rest FOA wrote:
Same here. One news site, the Daily Star, was too quick to jump the gun. I think this is just routine IP maintenance.

I don't know much about our Northern Neighbor's IP law but there's nothing on the link that suggests it's a renewal of a pre-existing trademark. OTOH it would be very odd if the franchise has never been trademarked there before.

Hope House Careworker

Missing since: 12 May 2009
Notes left: 713
Last seen at: Quebec, Canada
I'm going to definitely just assume it's renewing the trademark.

I do think we'll see another new game eventually. It just seems unlikely they'll abandon it forever. But when, is an entirely different story. It could be 2025 before we see something new. Not to mention the way they handle their IPs these days, it's just pointless to assume they're willing to put the money forward to make something actually good.

Metal Gear Survive anybody? Already forgot about it? Yeah, exactly.

Gravedigger

Konami just registered for an updated Silent Hill trademark in the US on August 26, 2019.

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?ca ... x=0&page=1

Gravedigger

I know what you mean.

Then there’s this.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ ... -of-konami

Please take the following with a heaping dose of skepticism.

According to them, console games are very important to Konami, and they say they plan to work on several of their global ips, even if they have nothing to announce. The article says there’s nothing to announce, which doesn’t preclude the possibility they’re working on things. What if Silent Hill has a chance, sooner or later? It’s the game’s 20th year, the company’s year, and the game was filed for a trademark in two countries. For most companies, this would set off alarm signals that they’re working on a game. But remember that this is Konami. Still, there’s some hope. We might finally have something tangible in terms of evidence over prior years of absolutely nothing.

Gravedigger

Well, Deadly Premonition 2 just became a reality. If there’s a new Silent Hill game for consoles, I will have to start asking myself “Is this real life?”