Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 18 Nov 2019

Post subject: Flauros?

This question is probably as old as the earth, but what the heck is it? It seemed to do something, so it's probably not useless like the Seal of Metatron, but what exactly is it for?

Speaking of which... (this should probably go in SH3, but I don't want to start another lame topic) if the Seal of Metatron is really pointless, why did Vincent think it was so important? He's a priest, isn't he? Shouldn't he know it's pointless?

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Feb 2006
Notes left: 194
Last seen at: Toluca Prison, Cell #7
-EDIT- Nevermind, I was wrong...

Last edited by Lenneth on 17 Mar 2006, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11979
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
The Seal Of Metratron isn't useless. Alessa found it very useful in her fight against Dahlia in SH1. Heather just didn't know how to use it.

The Flauros, while the mechanism by which it works is unknown, is intended for exactly what we saw it do. It hurts Alessa and weakens the protective magic she has cast to keep Dahlia from being able to reach her.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Post subject:

I seee... thank you.

One more question... just how old are these things? Since apparently they believe their god started the world as we know it, ending the neverending time and whatnot, have their relics been around that long as well, or do they develop them as they go using unknown techniques? It seems kind of strange to me that they would have an age-old thing that was designed specifically to knock a rebellious half-god out of her shell.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
>Since apparently they believe their god started the world as we know it
Not really, no. Man & woman was there long before God existed, thus why they offered themselves for God.

The Order believes that Earth was created and was populated by humanity. But humanity was miserable, so they prayed for salvation. Thus: God was born--or, actually, the idea of God--from the offering of a reed & a snake. They don't believe God created mankind, but that mankind created God. Which is true. Everything I've believed since I was a kid.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

^Well, by "as we know it" I meant, with actual linear time and "joy", not that people were created by their god. You misunderstood me, sorry for not being clearer. I know the whole reed and snake thing.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 13 Mar 2006
Notes left: 573
Last seen at: Nizhniy Novgorod, Russia
Flauros is an infernal general who leads the fight against Metatron.
The seal of Metatron keeps enemies away, is just that Heather had no idea of what was it.

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/2 ... ef=opinion

Think of Italy — which reminds me of California in so many ways — and its chronic inability to form a government. That’s California, with even better food and no parliamentary system.
....somewhere in Italy a contract was put out on the life of the article's author.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 03 Apr 2008
Notes left: 47
Last seen at: Brazil
FLAUROS - "A great duke, appears at first like a terrible leopard, but at the command of the exorcist puts on the shape of a man, with fiery eyes and terrible countenance." Flauros can answer truly questions about the past, present, and future; but unless commanded into a triangle of power, he will try to deceive the exorcist. He "converses gladly of divinity and the creation of the world, as also of the fall of spirits, his own included." He can be commanded to burn and destroy one’s enemies.

http://www.flemingmultimedia.com/Saxon/Flauros.jpg

http://www.flemingmultimedia.com/Saxon/swords.html

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1323
Last seen at: Minnesota
Mockingbird wrote:
>Since apparently they believe their god started the world as we know it
Not really, no. Man & woman was there long before God existed, thus why they offered themselves for God.

The Order believes that Earth was created and was populated by humanity. But humanity was miserable, so they prayed for salvation. Thus: God was born--or, actually, the idea of God--from the offering of a reed & a snake. They don't believe God created mankind, but that mankind created God. Which is true. Everything I've believed since I was a kid.

I hope you mean in the game...

Anyway, play Origins, there's a bit more on it there.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

>I hope you mean in the game...
No, I don't.

And I've played Silent Hill: Origins. There's nothing about The Order's belief system that isn't in the previous installments.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Nov 2005
Notes left: 1748
Last seen at: Southeast of Greenwich...somewhere sandy.
>I hope you mean in the game...

SH1 came out when Mockingbird, like me, was 17. Kind of a kid but not really.
I hope that you mean in the game too Thomas! :wink:

I got all excited when I saw some of the trailers for Origins because there seemed to be a lot of footage with the Flauros. Too bad the game did not emphasis the device more. That in and of itself was kind of a let down for me.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

I'm talking about my belief in god--the belief I've maintained since I was a child--that it was created by mankind, not that it created mankind.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

I was fully aware of that hence the smiley after my comment. I honestly am not concerned for your soul. I promise. You seem right on track.

These same reasons are some of the main reasons that SH clicked for me so much. This idea pretty much agreed with my own personal ideas that got me in so much trouble earlier on. Believe in something. Worship it. Pray to it. Fear it. Give it power.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Apr 2008
Notes left: 44
The Flauros was actually a demon that if summoned would perform any task for its summoner, even attack other demons. The Flauros was said to have the characteristics of a leopard. With this name and character in mind, it would easy to imagine the contrived device of The Order being extremely valuable in the defeat and enhancement of the spirits of Silent Hill.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
^ From where did that come?

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Probably from here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flauros

I guess that the basic idea makes sense. This of course does not tie to the SH Flauros. It is an interesting read though.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Flauros the demon has been brought up since '99. Not to be that guy, but I was one of the first to've done so. I wrote a lengthy exegesis on it from religious texts, &c. that detailed its relations to Silent Hill's Flauros.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Yes you did, and you definately took the cake on the research Thomas.

Where the hell is that post? It was a good read I remember. The search button is being a pain again hence making my efforts in finding it even more painful.

Last edited by emptimass on 17 Apr 2008, edited 1 time in total.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

My lengthy one is gone, lost in the veils of nearly a decade of postulations. Oh well. There are pieces of it in my book, though.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 09 May 2008
Notes left: 507
Okay... so, if you read the files in Origins... there is a little file that says that the Flauros triangle was first mentioned in Ancient China where a Chinese Wizard joked about catching a demon inside of it. Then, it was late discovered by "someone"... and they said it was not a Demon, but a God.

Maybe it has something to do with Chinese legend? I am much too lazy to research on it.

And that.
And that.
...and that.