Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 22 Jan 2020

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: God of Imagination (Unmarked Spoilers)

Missing since: 20 Jul 2005
Notes left: 3898
Have you ever wonder how Silent Hill derive its power from?
Personally, I think it's imagination.

Now, let me start off that I don't believe imagination is the root of every strange events in the town. Rather, I believe there's some kind of God in Silent Hill that has a power to let strong imagination to become true. This God is NOT the same as the God that the cult worships. The cult's God is originally non-existent. The cult God is just a product of cumulative imagination of people believing in the same thing. Thus Dahlia, Claudia, and other cult members' view of God is only their imagination of what their God would look like. Religious teachings and books allow this vision of cult God to be clearer. Drawings and books attract cult members to envision the same (cult) God, thus making the Real God makes the (cult) God to become more real. You can think of rituals, books, drawings, teachings, etc. as a tool to spread one's imagination of (cult) God. One person alone couldn't have a strong enough imagination, but thousands of people can.

MAIN GOD - turns strong imagination to reality
Cult God - originally an imagination of a single person. Cult God is a product of the strong "believe/imagination" of the cult. The reason why this cult God can become "true" is because there are lots of cultists envision the same ideal God.

Why do sinful characters like in SH2 are attracted to Silent Hill? I believe that when people are guilty, we tend to imagine more. We tend to imagine ways to punish our sins, we imagine ways to go back and fix our wrongs. James is drawn into SH world because he is guilty. He imagines that he didn't kill Mary, imagines the possibility that Mary isn't dead. And although this has not been proven, Rebirth ending is valid because James ihas survived the trial of imagination. The main God grants the power to James to resurrect Mary because James has proven himself as someone with a strong imagination power.
The real God of Silent Hill attracts people with strong, twisted imagination, and grants their imagination to be real only if they survive "hell scenarios". For Harry and Heather, they're simply just unfortunate to be a part of the cult's big imagination.
I assume that the cult members do not know about this real God. They only worship their imaginative one. However, the cult members realize that the town draws in people with higher state of conciousness. Hence drugs were sold to tourists, to raise their level of imagination, so they can be more easily attracted into the otherworld.

...I hope this makes a slight bit of sense. I have a lot more to say but I can't seem to write it down in English.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Jan 2006
Notes left: 11
Good one! I only wonder that if there really is this "real/main" god who grants power for sinners to create their own hell/paradise, then why would it let humans create another (cult)god? Wouldn't this new god be threat to this "real/main" god? Essentially if this via imagination created god would be able to cleanse world with fire?

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject: Re: God of Imagination (Unmarked Spoilers)

Missing since: 27 Oct 2003
Notes left: 1227
Last seen at: Everywhere {UK}
amphreded wrote:
Now, let me start off that I don't believe imagination is the root of every strange events in the town. Rather, I believe there's some kind of God in Silent Hill that has a power to let strong imagination to become true. This God is NOT the same as the God that the cult worships. The cult's God is originally non-existent. The cult God is just a product of cumulative imagination of people believing in the same thing. Thus Dahlia, Claudia, and other cult members' view of God is only their imagination of what their God would look like. Religious teachings and books allow this vision of cult God to be clearer. Drawings and books attract cult members to envision the same (cult) God, thus making the Real God makes the (cult) God to become more real. You can think of rituals, books, drawings, teachings, etc. as a tool to spread one's imagination of (cult) God. One person alone couldn't have a strong enough imagination, but thousands of people can.
I agree with you amphreded, i belive that it's Valtiel that makes it all happen. Valtiel is the Magician after all. Throughout reilgon there has always been the form, the presence of the trickster god.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 May 2005
Notes left: 330
I totally agree.

It is also very psychological. Some things in the world are haunted because people are led to believe they are haunted. Such as the example of a cousin: He rented this sort-of old house (but it was designed to be and the one who built it did a very good job.). He stayed for 3 nights and he enjoyed it. Now, he said that a few years later, gossip has spread that the house is haunted and many people are led to believe it is. In fact, many have resisted walking through that street where the house layed. Now, my cousin came here and decided to rent the house again. This time, he felt weird staying in that place.

He asked if somebody has died there. They said nobody. Now this isn't an evidence that in fact the people's belief made the house haunted but I'm saying it has a connection at least. I'm not surprised that many haunted place became haunted because of many thinking it is haunted.

I may be wrong her but indeed one's thoughts can change the environment and by that I do not mean that somebody thinks of an action and he does it. I mean, one's aura/pyschological state can change the environment. A teacher (who is an expert) says that when we are feeling really crappy and our psychological state is really down, we can channel that emotion to one particular plant and we are relieved since our anger is transferred to the plant but if our anger is really massive the plant could die. I have nothing to prove of this but it is true that we can transfer our emotions to our friend or to something/somebody that we can connect to. I can say that the people's belief that the house is haunted put them to a psychological state of fear and stress, and when they go to that house, the house became haunted or in fact, this could happen even if they are far from that house. I remember watching this show about ghost stories where one woman's stress was transferred to the house (which is near an energy source) and then the house became haunted by her psychological state or her ego of stress. I hope you get me.

I have often led to beleive that in fact, the land of Silent Hill started out as a normal piece of land. Nothing with it except a lake and tons of animal shit until people started to transfer their bad energy into this place because of it's serenity. People are led that this peaceful land is peaceful (duh!) and that this place is holy. Then, they decide to conduct rituals here and then TA-DA! One piece of land that becomes sacred and has many layers of reality. The cult that praised the land is led to beleive more about their gods. Angels and demons were born. Meanwhile, many people experience the other side of Silent Hill. People such as James could have expierienced a more personal other side as they transfer their bad energies to this land and cult members are lef to beleive that they can use these realities to birth god, etc.

I hope that makes sense.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Jan 2004
Notes left: 445
Last seen at: Ontario, Canada
That makes PERFECT sense, even so with Akira Yamaoka saying that the "religion' isn't real, it's just an illusion.

Post subject:

Yeah that makes sense to me Fatal_Sims. I really agree with this:

one's aura/pyschological state can change the environment

Since all things we see are actually light waves, etc. We all 'feel' what is real through our brain. I believe if you focus on something strong enough, your brain starts to believe it's real and things become true even though they aren't. This might be a bit far-fetched, but you have probably heard of how humans only use 10% of your brain or so? I think once you imagine/believe something strongly, it allows your brain to be more active, and hence creates phenomena.
For example, I think that if there's no apple on a table, but you focus enough, your brain energy's able to bend and morph the light wavelengths and create a visual representation of apple on the table. Same idea with Silent Hill - enough cultists believe extremely create the town's backstory and environment.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject: Amazing!

Missing since: 03 Feb 2007
Notes left: 395
You have no idea how long ive searched for an explanaition like this one. Great post. I allways felt that the cults religion was jsut a made up and that the god/deamon/being simply used the people beliefs to influence them. That could also explain why there is so much confusion with the religion in the first place. Everyone in the cult is simply wrong. As stated before the pwers that be in Silent Hill feed off imagination and turn it into reaility. If there is a god in Silent Hill maybe it even influencesd Daliah and other cult members to practice the burning ritual in order to turn the god into a physical being. How would the god have done this? Drugs!! wonderful dugs. White Claudia is supposed to induce hullucinations. Now if anyone here has had experience with drugs that do that sort of thing they woudl know that it causes your imagination to run wild to the point that you cant controll it. This would be the perfect way for the god to spread his influence and gain controll by using or altering others imaginations through use of the drugs. There is so much more to explain that my mind cant organise at the moment but if youd like to chat about it send me a messege

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11385
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
It's a great theory alright, but doesn't this just raise the bar of complication? Especially when no actual evidence for this entity existing is actually present? I think it's much more accurate that the power of turning imagination into reality comes from humans themselves, perhaps either untapped psychic potential or a sort of consensus reality deal.

But who knows? Maybe your imagining of this theory made it true? Who can guess what this thread released into the world.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Jan 2007
Notes left: 274
Last seen at: Ry'leh
It says that there was a power there that the native americans worshipped. That God/Power wasn't evil and it wasn't good. It was nature. My theory goes right into Amphreded's own except for one thing. Just that maybe when the cult summoned their God it slightly warped the power there so that the imagination could feed more easily off of it.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Dec 2006
Notes left: 708
That's pretty much exactly what I believe. Actually though, I don't even think there is what you would call a "real" god. I just think there's tons of energy left over from all the crap that's happened around the town, and people somehow tap into this and it helps them to build these freaky scenarios.

Post subject:

Yes, Nillin said it perfectly. Inserting a God of Imagination into the mix implies a sentient entity in control of almost everything, and then you might as well say "LOL SAMAEL." ¬_¬

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

I was thinking more like nature itself, but a slightly bent and warped one, from the actions of the people in that area.

Post subject:

You mean like a sort of Gaia thing?

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Are you talking about Gaia the goddess in mythology or the SNES game? I haven't played the game.

Post subject:

I didn't see that this thread has been somewhat revived until now heh.

Nillin wrote:
That's pretty much exactly what I believe. Actually though, I don't even think there is what you would call a "real" god. I just think there's tons of energy left over from all the crap that's happened around the town, and people somehow tap into this and it helps them to build these freaky scenarios.

I agree with you, but when I used the word "God" it was merely because I didn't know which other words would be more accurate at describing my thought. The power of Silent Hill is a by-product of historical energies and what not. I see the power of Silent Hill as a metaphor for cathexis in psychodynamics. When I said the real God, I didn't mean an actual existence. I don't think the real God of Silent Hill is metaphysical or psychological, but rather natural - the real God is the natural quality in the area of Silent Hill. Think of it like a soil which keeps getting more and more fertile as more people have lived on it - an exclusive land (God) that keeps enhancing its imaginative cathexis-like quality as more and more lives have lived, breathed, and imagined upon it.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Dec 2006
Notes left: 708
Yeah, I misunderstood your post just a little bit. Sorry. :[

If people would just think about it and stop spreading this Samael nonsense around, I think it makes a lot more sense to just say that everything in Silent Hill is pretty much a manifestation of a person's psyche. I mean, both Silent Hill 1 and 2 seemed to shove the idea of a person creating the world around them down our throats, with Alessa creating the different dimensions and creatures, and James having creatures modeled basically off his feelings for his wife. What he wished she was, what he thought of himself, etc.

I think Silent Hill always had the potential to become what it is now, but Alessa, with her strong psychic abilities gave it the final shove. It's pretty much a sponge for any type of emotion, it gives us what we fear, and in a way, exactly what we need. Or something to that effect. :?

Post subject:

Quote:
I agree with you, but when I used the word "God" it was merely because I didn't know which other words would be more accurate at describing my thought. The power of Silent Hill is a by-product of historical energies and what not. I see the power of Silent Hill as a metaphor for cathexis in psychodynamics. When I said the real God, I didn't mean an actual existence. I don't think the real God of Silent Hill is metaphysical or psychological, but rather natural - the real God is the natural quality in the area of Silent Hill. Think of it like a soil which keeps getting more and more fertile as more people have lived on it - an exclusive land (God) that keeps enhancing its imaginative cathexis-like quality as more and more lives have lived, breathed, and imagined upon it.

Agreed about 99%. The only comment is that Silent Hill's power probably isn't a NATURAL quality, but a quality that could've happened to any place if certain people treated it the same.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Oct 2006
Notes left: 921
Last seen at: Southern WI
Quote:
The only comment is that Silent Hill's power probably isn't a NATURAL quality, but a quality that could've happened to any place if certain people treated it the same.

I don't think so. The native Americans regarded the land that Silent Hill was built on as mystic and sacred for quite a long time before any settlers came. That seems to negate the possibility that it was given its power by events that occurred there.

Post subject:

Well that's a possible scenario as well, Aura. I'm sticking with my original thought that it couldn't have been any other place though. The natural quality of Silent Hill's land creates strange occurances. Historical events helped intensified SH's power, but the original land is equally important because the land has the ability to contain such power. I believe that this unique quality of Silent Hill is a phenomenon but not a noumenon (in Immanuel Kant's sense). Basically, this quality is predefined and self-existed - it only affects beings who "witness" (experienced) by its presence. Hope that's not too confusing.

Post subject:

Well, the Native Settlers could've regarded it as a special, sacred place because of how beautiful it was, or maybe because White Claudia grows there and burning it allowed them to communicate with spirits or something (Though it was probably just an ordinary high.) These variables, coupled with the area's history made Silent Hill this big mass of psychic energy that became what it was today. However, any place in the world could've had the same potential development.

I'm going with that theory due to Ockham's Razor, otherwise you'd have to wonder what made Silent Hill so naturally special in the first place, disregarding the fact that humans can make places supernatural all on their own, like Walter did and presumably all sorts of other scenarios we never see.