Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 20 May 2019

Post subject: Change to the Cult (Game Spoilers)

When I first realised that the cult had been changed from Vatiel worshippers to Witch Hunters I was a bit upset. But it actually worked really well in the film and allowed Gans a tiny bit of cheeky bush bashing. I'm probably alone on this, but I liked the way it was handled and it leaves the proper cult to become formed in the sequel. :twisted:

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Nov 2003
Notes left: 436
It's a completely different organisation really. I don't like the new church though, not really that enigmatic, they get annoying shortly after they're introduced, and haven't they got the dumb guy from The Village in it?

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Mar 2006
Notes left: 66
Last seen at: elpaso texas
yeah the village came into mind, backward town ass people.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Mar 2006
Notes left: 181
Last seen at: England
lmao, all they shouted was waitch and burn them

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Apr 2006
Notes left: 133
Last seen at: Boston
i live right next to salem.. so i'm interested to hear how those people liked it. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHxdMXcO0Yo
(Brighter Quality)

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
As long as people don't start associating the cult from the film with The Order from the games--or anything else for that matter--everything's fine.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 13 Oct 2004
Notes left: 365
Last seen at: Toluca Lake
I feel that it works this way just fine because I don't think mainstream audiences would grasp or accept The Order from the games. This cult is more christian in nature than the order thus making it easy to identify with casual movie goers in my opinion. The interesting thing was that when Rose was in the school (I think) the camera did a pass on these framed paintings on the wall. The one that read "God" was a woman much like the God/Holy Mother painting from Silent Hill 3. Yeah, I got a kick out of that one, very cool.

Post subject:

The cult being Christian bothered me, but I was mostly able to accept the change.
It didn't quite stop at the cult, though...when dark Alessa mentioned that she 'had many names', I had to groan. The devil? Come on. I preferred it when her hatred spread over the town without the intervention of classic Christian figures.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

They weren't Christian they were just more along the same vein than The Order. Different beliefs and a different god. In the school there was a painting of a woman in white with doves surrounding her and the title was "God"

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 17 Sep 2004
Notes left: 294
Last seen at: In a toilet. Folded into a wallet.
Eh, once the cult entered the scene, I think this is where I went flacid. Refugees in SH? Ugh. And although the "explanation" for the siren was extremely well placed, and fit nicely in with the whole "refugee cult fleeing from the darkness" thing, I'd rather it not been explained.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

I too lost my chub. By the end I got over it but I could have been happy as a clam if it was just Rose or Rose and Cybil throughout the whole thing (maybe Dahlia too).

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Feb 2004
Notes left: 71
Last seen at: Glasgow, Scotland UK
We're lucky we didn't get Rose jumping off walls and doing martial arts, or Cybil on her bike flying through the church window whilst shooting occult members.

Jonny

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Resident Evil Jonny? Heh, yeah we are lucky.

Post subject:

God, if I remember right, was female in the movie too.
From the pictures Rose looks at in Midwich.

Oh, but my. They were not very attractive or stately. They made Christabella look elegant.. O.o

I kept thinking scanvenger-hobos. Especially the one with the long-ish black hair.

Post subject:

Did anyone else think it was cool that the 'Miners' had a canary with them NOT to detect toxic gases (as was traditionally done by real miners) but as an early-warning system for PH? I thought that was SO cool.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 87
Last seen at: My house
Princesca wrote:
Did anyone else think it was cool that the 'Miners' had a canary with them NOT to detect toxic gases (as was traditionally done by real miners) but as an early-warning system for PH? I thought that was SO cool.

it was an early warning sign that the darkness was coming. PH just happened to show up at that time.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Jan 2005
Notes left: 745
Last seen at: Bergen Street
I loved the canary thing, and was the only one that got it.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Notes left: 29
I thought that was a nice touch as well.

But yeah, I was thoroughly dissatisfied with the church in the movie. It was a huge deviation from the games and ultimately came off as stilted and unconvincing on the whole. The 3 others I saw the movie with all agreed that the first half kicked all kinds of butt and then steadily went down the toilet with the introduction of the new cult. I mean, it's really even debatable whether or not you actually want to call them a cult at all. In terms of the movie it could have just been a bunch of fanatic fundamentalists who were crazy. I thought this was 100% the movie's greatest failing, particularly in light of all the horrible dialogue (and acting) that went along with those folks. I was at least more or less satisfied with everything else.

Post subject:

I agree with you 100-percent, Quemaqua. I want my husband to see this with me (my second time), but I -know- he's going to rag on how dumb and cliche the cult stuff is. I'm not sure whether I should give him a disclaimer or not.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Notes left: 29
Go for it. I'd say that a lot of us had expectations higher than were reasonable and hence were more let down than we might have been otherwise.