Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 19 Jun 2018

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: The Latin Writing in the Church

Missing since: 21 Nov 2003
Notes left: 285
Last seen at: Along a Shadowy Bridge
I couldn't quite translate it all, but it looked like something about "Justice" maybe and "In gods hands" or "hand", though I'm not 100% if I caught it right. Anyone notice it as they were panning around Christabella standing on the balcony?

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
Domine Deus Omnipotens Cuius ________. I've forgotten the last word of it. Any translators?

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Nov 2003
Notes left: 285
Last seen at: Along a Shadowy Bridge
Thought one of the words was Manos or Mano (which in spanish would be hand). I could have been mistaken.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Jan 2004
Notes left: 414
Last seen at: GA
St. Thomas wrote:
Domine Deus Omnipotens Cuius ________. I've forgotten the last word of it. Any translators?

I know deus means "god." None of those other words are showing up on Latin-English dictionaries, though.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Feb 2005
Notes left: 2246
My bestfriend, Jack who saw it with me yesterday remembers it from part of something in the 11th or 10th century that references David and Goliath, the Pharoah and Moses, Philistines/Israel, Amalech/Moses. He says that it was basically something like a prayer to God to bless that person/peoples with the strength to conquer over their adversaries.
Thank you crazy, art historian friend.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Apr 2006
Notes left: 64
Last seen at: England
St. Thomas wrote:

I think the next word was manus . I don't know the rest of it, but that reads something like:

"All-powerful lord god, (by?) your hand..."

It would really help to have a good pic of that prayer, but I haven't seen any.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
Yeah. It's manus. Thank you. I know the rest of it's correct.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

the word Victoria was defintely part of that...i remember because it was like the only word i could make out from all that latin

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Jan 2005
Notes left: 745
Last seen at: Bergen Street
Someone go to the site and look. It's in the alternate media section.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Feb 2005
Notes left: 2246
This is what my friend was referring to:

Domine Deus Omnipotens, Rex regum et Dominus dominantium, in cuius manu omnis victoria consistit et omne bellum conteritur, concede mihi ut tua manus cor meum corroboret ut in virtute tua in manibus viribusque meis bene pugnare viriliterque agere valeam ut inimici mei in conspectu meo cadent et corruant sicut corruit Golias ante faciem pueri tui David, et sicut populus Pharaonis coram Moysi in mare rubro, et sicut Philistini coram populo Israel cecidi1 sunt, et Amalech coram Moysi et Chananei coram Iesu corruerunt, sic cadant inimici mei sub pedibus meis, et per viam unam conveniant adversum me et per septem fugiant a me; et conteret Deus arma eorum et confringet framea eorum, et liquescent in conspectu meo sicut cera a facie ignis ut sciant omnes populi terrae quia invocatum est nomen Domini nostri Iesu Christi super me et magnificetur nomen tuum Domine, in adversariis meis, Domine Deus Israel.

Oh Lord, God Almighty, King of kings, Lord of rulers, in whose hand all victory rests and all war is destroyed, grant me that Thy hand may strengthen my heart so I may fight well and act courageously so my enemies may fall before my sight. May they fall as did Goliath fall before Thy servant David, as did the people of the Pharaoh in the Red Sea before Moses, as did the Philistines before the people of Israel, as did Amalech before Moses, and as did the Canaanites before Joshua, so may my enemies fall beneath my feet. May all who come against me be dispersed and God destroy their weapons and shatter their swords. They will melt in my sight as wax in the face of fire so all the peoples of the earth will know that the name of our Lord Jesus Christ has been invoked over me. May Thy Name, O Lord, be made great over my adversaries, O Lord, God of Israel.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Apr 2006
Notes left: 64
Last seen at: England
Yeah. I saw the rest of the phrase in the church and its a part of the first sentance there.
Domine Deus Omnipotens in cuius manu omnis victoria constistit.
Lord god almighty, in whose hand all victory rests.