Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 23 Apr 2019

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Could it be.... SATAN???

Missing since: 23 Apr 2006
Notes left: 24
I really feel that Gans tried to simplify this story for the screen by bringing in some obviously Satanic elements. In the film rendition, Alessa clearly calls upon the power of Satan to bring revenge to the cultists her burned her alive for no good reason. Clean and simple.

SH1 possible spoiler...
[spoiler]However, in comparison the games... this was not so clear. Alessa seemed like a deity in her own right, calling upon no other evil but her own power... at least that's how it seemed to me.. correct me if you feel that I am wrong. Many fans say that Samael is not real at all... and I'm too confused about that to make a claim myself. (SOMEONE EXPLAIN THAT TO ME!!) My point is... the true power that Alessa weilds (sp) that creates the horrible hells of Silent Hill is, well, hard to explain. [/spoiler]

That being said... the movie, though pretty clear, is not SPECIFIC that the image of Alessa that has 'many names' is in fact the devil incarnate... so do you think, as I do, that newcomers to the world of silent hill are to think that the devil is directly involved? -- though we, the old skool fans, can read in what we learned from playing the game? Since the specifics of the movie can go either way, can the people watching come to either conclusion and still be "correct?"

Phew... what a mind f**k... I hope I articulated this well...

----

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Mar 2005
Notes left: 537
Last seen at: Somewhere?
Devils let murderers and evils roam free, not enact vengeance on them.

Suppose what we saw was instead the Angel of Death, an executioner?

Least, that's an idea another posed to me.

We know the cult was already dead, just in limbo, so in light of that I'm leaning towards the "Devil's Justice" idea.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Notes left: 233
Last seen at: Deep down in places you don't talk about at parties.
I'll gladly let them clear up any misconceptions (if any) for themselves with the sequel.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Jul 2005
Notes left: 3898
LinzerDinzer, thank you for using the spoiler tag. :D

Possible game spoiler:
[spoiler]
I agree with you, most people who have played the game know in the back of their head that the ultimate power of Silent Hill is not Satan, but the cult's vision of God (who up until this point, we don't really know who that ultimate being really is or exists).
I think non-gamers who come to watch the film will think it's Satan. "I have many names" - when I heard that, I definitely thought of Satan. I don't know whether it was intentional from Gans/Avary or not, but non-fan viewers are led in that direction.
[/spoiler]

Post subject:

I think really comes down to the viewer's intrepretation at this point. We just know it is something of a threat with a great power beyond that what it is exactly remains an open question.

Post subject:

The cult is protected from Alessa's living fears/tormented dreams. Alessa made a deal with a demon : "That's when I came in" she said. Also, Alessa never died, she was always alive and aged during the 30 years (you can tell she is grown up on that bed). So anyway if the cult is protected then what is protecting them?

Post subject:

It does have a lot of God and Devil notations, but which side is doing what is very unclear as in regard to Alessa's "demon" we really have nothing more than the demon's perception of the events to go on.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Wow! this is really interested to see everyone's responses and I'm glad I got everyone thinking and talking!

----

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Nov 2003
Notes left: 285
Last seen at: Along a Shadowy Bridge
Silent Hill games have always bordered on popular occult and religious beliefs but never quite making a clear distinct connection. I think it has its own mythos and pantheon based around larger beliefs.

My own personal belief is that there is an 'alien' intelligence behind the landscape of Silent Hill. By alien, I mean mysterious, hidden or incomprehensable (not little green men). It is powerful, swaying and lives within its own realm. It seems to be able to feel high range, intense emotions; hatred, love, anger, lust, confusion, etc. It brings the source of emotions to it's realm and plays with it, to push it into more of these emotions, perhaps even 'sins'. The realm is a construct, foggy and often confusing. When emotions come into play, it is amplified. Anger or hatred make for a dark, rusty, hellish place for example. Perhaps it doesn't even use love or happiness, as we really have never seen a bright cheery place from it.

I cannot say that Alessa actually called upon this power, but I think it came to her. Kept her going, fueled her anger and bitterness and broke her in two; keeping the dark half and spitting out the good. I dont think a deal was made at all. But it sort of back fired, the cultists fortified themselves in the foggy realm through righteous denial, and was becoming frustrated.

It only has many names, because it has no name at all. It is only named for the purpose it serves. It could have been called Revenge, and at the end when it had a plan to strike down the cultists, it became the reaper.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Notes left: 89
The townspeople are the evil ones, silent hill is a place of punishment for them. Dahlia said when everyone ran up the stairs (i paraphrase) "do not go with them, they are the damned, they run from their fears, from their sins." I believe when Alessa was in the hospital she made the deal with the demon behind the ancient town (Samael, Valtiel, whoever) and with his help, could inflict her revenge upon the sinners, hence we have PH who is not just Alessa's (or James' for that matter), but PH belonging to the town, Samael, Valtiel, whoever the demon truly is, as was said in Lost Memories.

I think the only Satan was Christabella, she was there to be punished, as well as the rest of the people, only Alessa could not do so because they did not believe they did anything wrong, as Dahlia said "blind faith keeps them safe." Just like in SH2, James thinks he is innocent until the end when he realizes his actions, only then does he have to actually fight the 2 PHs to end it all. Up until then, he is faced with the darkness, and stalked by PH, just like in the SH movie, yet only until Rose came in and told the people the truth and Christabella, was the darkness able to enter the church to enact revenge!

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

But if the faith is just "blind..." how is it protecting them I wonder?

----

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Notes left: 89
They have to be faced with their guilt, as was James, in order to be punished. Unless they are in Silent Hill, they cant be touched, but once the truth was out there, green light and barbed wire for everyone

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Notes left: 233
Last seen at: Deep down in places you don't talk about at parties.
For the record, I don't believe "The One with Many Names" to be the devil. A Dark god, or something of that sort perhaps, but not Satan

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Apr 2004
Notes left: 74
Last seen at: Canada
Honestly, I think that was a deliberate ploy on the part of Gans.

The first thing I thought of when I heard the line "I have many names" was indeed Satan, however immediately following that came the second thought. 'Silent Hill' 'The Abyss' and what was the first name? 'the place of silent spirits'?

The town, and the forces behind it have had many names as well, so it's a dual-meaning. Essentially, those who don't understand the mythos think "Oh, Satan, I get that" whereas those who are as engrossed as we are comprehend that it's merely the town itself.

Essentially the 'reaper' wasn't evil, it was a neutral force which judged accordingly--just as the town has been shown to do in the past--or rather, not the town, but the power behind the town "The Abyss"

The Abyss is what seems to have given Alessa her powers in the movie, why isn't exactly spelled out, but it's also not spelled out why The Abyss does a lot of what it does.

For that matter, the fact that it was the town which gave Alessa her powers also fits in with Pyramid Head appearing, he is agent of The Abyss, serving and punishing those who it deems worthy or unworthy.

The town itself called to Sharon because the town made her, that is why she screamed "Silent Hill" in her sleep, and saw images of the otherside. Because it was not only Alessa calling, but the Abyss that resides in the town.

That also explains the ending of the movie, the portion of The Abyss which was represented by the 'reaper' returned to a portion of the host it had resided in. Alessa was filled with hate and so it manifested her hate in the otherside, Sharon was more childlike and innocent and hence the foggy world follows her.

To sum up that last bit. Where Alessa goes her twisted nightmare, the otherside, follows. This is because of the abilities granted to her by The Abyss. Now that Sharon contains the fragment of power which The Abyss has granted, the more peaceful foggy world follows her.

Obviously, all of the above is my opinion only, and quite likely St. Thomas will come in and own my ass with his superior knowledge. And I'm not being facetious, I completely respect St. Thomas and all of his previous names, he's bloody brilliant.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Apr 2006
Notes left: 44
Last seen at: Virginia Beach
What I think SH is????

Your version of Hell on Earth. Although the Devil may not be involved, SH finds what your version of Hell is and puts it into a reality. All your sins, fear, wrong-doings etc. are projected into the town and brought to life. SH shows you what you don't know, your version of Hell. Not to say that everyone's is drastically different but ya know... As for Alessa she's suffered greatly through her life and SH can "combine" Hell into one. Thus creating Alessas story. For me SH is WAY WAY more intricate than what I just typed but I don't want to sit here and type for 2 hours so I gave the main points.

Post subject:

Meta4 wrote:
What I think SH is????

Your version of Hell on Earth. Although the Devil may not be involved, SH finds what your version of Hell is and puts it into a reality. All your sins, fear, wrong-doings etc. are projected into the town and brought to life. SH shows you what you don't know, your version of Hell. Not to say that everyone's is drastically different but ya know... As for Alessa she's suffered greatly through her life and SH can "combine" Hell into one. Thus creating Alessas story. For me SH is WAY WAY more intricate than what I just typed but I don't want to sit here and type for 2 hours so I gave the main points.

That idea works just fine for SH2, but for the other three, SH isn't "your Hell on Earth." What did Harry do to be punished? What about Heather? Henry? Silent Hill isn't a sentient being. It doesn't decide to do anything on it's own. Is it a spiritual place with close ties to the metaphysical world? Definitely. It's the actions of the humans who inhabit Silent Hill that makes it what it is.

Post subject:

Everyone who says the "many names" quote was not meant to invoke thoughts of Satan are just kidding themselves. It clearly was. Does it mean that IS Satan, nope, but it's something very much like Satan, and is meant to help viewers understand its intentions and power.

Post subject:

HunterX wrote:
Everyone who says the "many names" quote was not meant to invoke thoughts of Satan are just kidding themselves. It clearly was. Does it mean that IS Satan, nope, but it's something very much like Satan, and is meant to help viewers understand its intentions and power.

Agreed. I thought of Mark 5:9.
My name is Legion: for we are many.

HOWEVER...

If the Cult members are evil (they surely are), do we have to re-think this "many names" thing?

She also calls herself "the reaper". Obviously, this is meant to conjure up the "Grim Reaper" in our minds...right??? Not so fast...in light of the billboard of 1 Cor. 6, and the constant references to the end of the world (Christabella reciting Revelation, etc)...could it all be referring to Matthew 13??

"...and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them..."
"The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels."

??? :?:

Post subject:

zadok wrote:
Agreed. I thought of Mark 5:9.
My name is Legion: for we are many.

HOWEVER...

If the Cult members are evil (they surely are), do we have to re-think this "many names" thing?

She also calls herself "the reaper". Obviously, this is meant to conjure up the "Grim Reaper" in our minds...right??? Not so fast...in light of the billboard of 1 Cor. 6, and the constant references to the end of the world (Christabella reciting Revelation, etc)...could it all be referring to Matthew 13??

"...and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them..."
"The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels."

??? :?:

THAT is an interesting observation. Good eye zadok.

I don't know if Alessa got her power from God or the devil or another fallen angel, or what. But to her, I'm sure she sees her judgment of the cultists as justice.

I have seen a few people trying to paint the cultists as the "good" force in the story, and Alessa as the “evil” force. This theory implies that Alessa was always inherently evil and the cultists were simply trying to do "God's work" to eradicate the demon within her. In accordance with this theory, by allowing Alessa to kill the cultists, Rose chose evil over good and will be trapped with Alessa forever.

This would make some sense had they been talking about the game. But the movie by itself gives us no reason to believe that Alessa wasn't simply an innocent little girl. It shows no hint or evidence to support the idea that she had powers or was evil before the judgment burning. The townspeople and children call her a witch simply because she was a bastard child, and the cultists had a Puritan like fanaticism that drove them to “purify” the guilty.

From what the movie gives us, I think the cultists were the evil force, and Alessa was the “good” force. The cultists created their dilemma. By playing God, and judging an innocent girl for her mother’s sins, they ignited her fury and created their own hell.

So, is “dark Alessa” the devil (or a demon), or an angel sent to judge? I go with the later. Maybe she is not actually an angel, but I think she sees herself not as an emotional revenge-bent demon child, but more like the reapers mentioned in Mathew 13:39-42. She resembles one of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse. They do not judge because of their own personal desires; they judge because God sent them to judge.

In the same way, dark Alessa judges because she has been called to judge. That does not mean she is evil. According to the bible, God will send those who are not of his kingdom to hell. That does not make him evil; that makes him just.

[EDIT]I am not implying that God sent dark Alessa and created Silent Hill. It seems that Silent Hill was created for "burned" Alessa, and she is sort of like God there. She may not be able to control everything directly, but I think "dark alessa" is the force called to judge the cultists by "burned alessa". "Dark alessa" is just doing the work she was called to do.[/EDIT]

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 May 2006
Notes left: 125
Last seen at: uk
i always thought it was funny how the cult thought they could kinda fight a demon with fire