Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 29 Oct 2020

Post subject: maria/mary

are maria and mary the same person? maria knew about that tape on the hotel room and all?

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
No. Mary's [spoiler]dead. There's no denying that.[/spoiler]

Maria, however, is a construction from James's mind. I'm willing to wager that on some level in his mind James remembered forgetting the video tape (in fact he even asks Maria how she knows about it), and Maria, as being one of the ultimate mindfucks James is presented in the game, toys with him about it. Maria represents Mary on a few physical levels, but she isn't the same woman. Maria is, almost quite literally, born from a wish.

There's been quite a few discussions on Maria and Mary. Let me find them for you, and I hope they answer your questions.

Edit: Okay, I can't seem to find any threads about them. I know it's been discussed before..

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Mar 2006
Notes left: 418
Krist. wrote:
No. Mary's [spoiler]dead. There's no denying that.[/spoiler]

Maria, however, is a construction from James's mind. I'm willing to wager that on some level in his mind James remembered forgetting the video tape (in fact he even asks Maria how she knows about it), and Maria, as being one of the ultimate mindfucks James is presented in the game, toys with him about it. Maria represents Mary on a few physical levels, but she isn't the same woman. Maria is, almost quite literally, born from a wish.

There's been quite a few discussions on Maria and Mary. Let me find them for you, and I hope they answer your questions.

Edit: Okay, I can't seem to find any threads about them. I know it's been discussed before..
finally the truth in a few simple words

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Apr 2006
Notes left: 233
Last seen at: Deep down in places you don't talk about at parties.
While I agree with Krist on her explanation of Silent Hill 2, I will point out that it's not the final truth, just an interpretation.

Except for what was written in her spoiler section. There's no arguing with that.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Mar 2006
Notes left: 418
so the spoiler posted above is not 100% true?

Post subject:

No, the spoiler I posted is true. Everybody know it. I know it. You know it. Zorak and Moltar know it. I believe Hell_is_Silent was saying that my explanation of Maria wasn't the factual part of the post, but instead an opinion and an interpretation.

Post subject:

but what if maria was mary? and that means that mary was killed by pyramidhead?

But one thing is really strange... i don't belive that i've seen eddie or that girl talking to maria in the game... so she might be just a dream or imageination..

(sorry for my bad english)

Post subject:

"but what if maria was mary? and that means that mary was killed by pyramidhead? "

But she isn't. It's impossible - Mary is what I said she was above, in the spoiler tag. They aren't the same person.

And you're not the only one. Maria is, oddly, always kept away from other people. The only one who interacts with her is James. Plus the fact that she can die and come back to life again and again leads people to believe she's a delusion. With good reason.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Apr 2006
Notes left: 193
Think i'll take a quote from the official silent hill guide in japan (may contain spoilers so i'm tagging it just in case).

[spoiler]Name: Mary Shepherd-Sunderland

Sex: f

Job: housewife

Profile: James' wife, who supposedly died of an illness three years ago. Ever since visiting Silent Hill with James, it has been a place of memories for the two of them.

Creator's comment

Her name is taken from the victim Mary Kelly in the «Jack the Ripper» case, who was living with the suspect Joseph as detailed in case files regarding the murders.

Raison d'etre

James' realization of the crime he has committed affects the story's conclusion, as well as the dialogue that transpires. It is conceivable that Mary's death three years ago is merely James' delusion.

Name: Maria

Job: dancer

Profile: A woman who bears an uncanny resemblance to Mary, although her personality and taste in clothing are completely opposite. For some reason, she tags along with James.

Creator's comment

The heroine from the first scenario also had an existence characterized by a double personality. The first character is «Mary», and so the name «Maria» is derived from that.

Raison d'etre

James bears the weight of the crime of killing his wife, resulting in the creation of this delusion. It is established in the third game that Maria was a dancer at the club Heaven's Night.

"This Lost Memories segment is taken from the Official Guide made by Konami in Japan and the articles are written by Team Silent members. It can't get more Official than this."[/spoiler]

From this, its as obvious as its going to be that they are not the same person. I don't like the idea of a 'what if', considering if there was no Maria, and only Mary, he would have met her at the lake, and went home?

Post subject:

Krist. wrote:
"but what if maria was mary? and that means that mary was killed by pyramidhead? "

But she isn't. It's impossible - Mary is what I said she was above, in the spoiler tag. They aren't the same person.

And you're not the only one. Maria is, oddly, always kept away from other people. The only one who interacts with her is James. Plus the fact that she can die and come back to life again and again leads people to believe she's a delusion. With good reason.

That's true but,

[spoiler]How does one explain the fact that Maria knows about Laura, even though they never ever ineract together? Laura just knows about Mary, however Maria has an innate protective instinct for a little girl she's never met.[/spoiler]

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11057
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
Maria wrote:
I'm not your Mary.

End of discussion.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Apr 2006
Notes left: 193
Thats easy, like Krist said, Maria is born from a wish.

Thats the name of the mini-game you can play on the PS2 - Silent Hill 2 Greatest Hits, or Xbox - Silent Hill 2 and PC - Silent Hill 2.
You play as Maria, and it takes place before James meets her. Why does she know what she knows? Its all there.... and here is the movie/game script if you can't play or have access to it. http://faqs.ign.com/articles/434/434762p1.html

Not to mention, Laura info:

[spoiler]Name: Laura

Job: --

Profile: A young girl who was a patient in the same hospital as Mary. Having no mother of her
own, Laura loved Mary as if she were her real mother.

Creator's comment

Her name is taken from the nonfiction work «No Language But a Cry» by Richard D'Ambrosio, the story of a young girl's search for happiness while struggling to overcome the scars of abuse.

þ Note: the title of this book in Japan is something like «Laura, story of a little girl burned by a frying pan», which refers to an incident in which Laura's mentally ill parents placed her into a hot frying pan as a baby and began to cook her alive.

Raison d'etre

Of all the characters, she is the only one who does not hold any darkness in her heart. It may be that she came to Silent Hill looking for Mary. To her the town appears to be normal; she does not see any monsters, nor does she see Maria.[/spoiler]

(Opps... was typing this while the last post showed up.. i didn't see it ) :oops:

Post subject:

Maria's knowledge of Laura is, speculated, to be proof that Maria is just as much of a creation of Mary's as she is James's. Mary's desire to be beautiful again, sexy and physically appealing for her husband. Maria doesn't understand why she knows Laura, or who Laura is (in Born From a Wish she gets confused, and in the regular SH2 game she can't explain why she cares about Laura; even says "I've never met her before."), only that she has an intense desire to protect her. Just like Mary, who cared so much for the girl she wanted to adopt her.

Post subject:

maria is marys doppleganger or evil doppleganger.

Post subject:

Yeah its confusing sometimes but hey, they look alike!

Post subject:

About Maria knowing and protecting Laura:

[spoiler]Maria's knowledge of Laura can be another aspect of James' delusion. He couldn't really expect Laura to run out of the bowling alley and not be seen and chased by Maria. The same applies for the hospital. In my interpretation, Maria is not just a form of punishment for James, but also a "perfected" Mary. Perhaps James liked the fact that Mary had always been so loving and protective of the weak/innocent and therefore put that aspect into Maria. I would have been suspicious of Maria's intentions if she had said "What girl?" or simply ignored Laura. I wouldn't be too keen on trusting someone like that.[/spoiler]

But those are just my 2 cents.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Apr 2006
Notes left: 8
Last seen at: England
Im still confused on marias game on directors cut *spoiler* she talks to ernest and ernest s dead and he says so thats how you could talk to me

Post subject:

>she talks to ernest and ernest s dead and he says so thats how you could talk to me.

Ernest is a ghost.

Post subject:

I think she is maybe Mary ressurected to fit Jame's views and wants. She is born from a wish after all. Kinda like Pet cememtery.

Post subject:

When she "reforms" or however you would describe it, does Maria remember all the times she was skewered by PH?

Cay