Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 20 Nov 2019

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject: Dream "Bad" Ending? (spoiler?)

Missing since: 24 Nov 2005
Notes left: 381
Last seen at: Trapped at the End of The World...
Does anyone here have the official Silent Hill 1 guide book (I think it was put out by BradyGames)?

If so, would you be so kind as to answer a question that been nagging at me for years?

A few years ago, I stopped in at a bookstore and thumbed through the Offical SH guide. Having already beaten the game without a guide, I flipped to the back where it listed the possible endings and how to obtain them, just to see what I was missing.

One particular "Bad" ending caught my eye. [spoiler] It described the camera panning out from a close-up of Harry, still in his wrecked Jeep, apparently suffering from nightmares induced by pain and shock as he lies unconscious and dying of the injuries he sustained in the crash.
I remember thinking "Wow! That would really ruin the story for me. I can't believe they would pull the old cop-out "And it was all a dream" ending! I think I'll pretend I never saw this."
[/spoiler]
So I put the book down and tried to forget about it.
At least, this is what I remember. Since then, I haven't seen any evidence that this ending ever exisited. Not online, and never got it while playing.

So my question is, does this ending exist or not? Was it an ending that was cut from the final game, but someone neglected to remove it from the guide?
Was it even really in the Guide, or am I just suffering from a delusional memory, lol?

Obviously, if it doesn't really exist, the above isn't really a spoiler, but I wanted to err on the
side of caution.

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Jan 2005
Notes left: 1696
Last seen at: Калинингра́д, Россия
Oh yes, it exists all right.
It was the second ending I got, and I thought it was pretty cool, because it's a reference to the film "Jacob's Ladder."

Hope that clears things up.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
It's called the Bad ending. Save neither Cybil Bennett or Michael Kaufmann, and that's Harry's outcome: death.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

It was all just a terrible dream!

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Heheh, well, at least I didn't imagine it. :)

Thanks for the help!

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Aug 2003
Notes left: 4728
Last seen at: H-Town
However. It's not the "true" ending - the so called Good ending is.

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 7376
Last seen at: Couldn't tell you even if I tired
^ yep,good ending is"true" ending.

World Toilet Organization
I'm like a circle, I'M TOO GOOD FOR CORNERS!!!

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Right, if it were the "true" ending, then the rest of series wouldn't make much sense.
Still, funny that I never got that ending. I guess I explored thoroughly enough to save Kaufmann on the first try.

Saving Cybil isn't quite as straight-forward. Had to get the trick to that out of a guide on the second play through.... :oops:

Post subject:

That's the fun on Silent Hill 1. The best ending is the worst.

Post subject:

Missing since: 11 Jun 2005
Notes left: 1868
Last seen at: Finland
My first ending in completing the game was Bad Ending :D

I was completely shocked by it. "No it can't go this way...No..... So I have played a demo, where Harry goes to the alley and gets killed by some kid monsters with knives, then I wake up in a cafê wth a woman. But when I complete the FULL game I see it ALL was just a dream?"

And such. But when I got the game myself, I started to find out more about the endings. And now I've seen Bad and Good+ endings.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jun 2004
Notes left: 76
Last seen at: MSU
You know...

[spoiler]
If you save Kaufmann but don't find the Aglaophatis you will still get the Bad ending. In the Good ending Kaufmann uses the Aglaophatis to seperate the demon from its host and then Alessa uses her last ounce of strength to save Harry as the fire falls from the sky. But in the bad ending God is born fully and Alessa is destroyed, so there's no one to save Harry. So maybe it wasn't a dream, but rather, Harry managed to defeat God and save the world but he failed to escape the Otherworld as it was destroyed, and he also failed to save Cybil and Cheryl, so the end of his life is really fitting since he has no one to go home to. However, it's not entirely pointless because Harry still defeated God and saved the world from the darkness. Incidentally he returns to his jeep because the world he was in was destroyed.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
Darkh4 wrote:

Saving Cybil isn't quite as straight-forward. Had to get the trick to that out of a guide on the second play through.... :oops:

It's not supposed to be straight-forward, because it's not really supposed to happen, you see.

I also do not like the Bad ending much. Maybe it's just me, but endings like Bad and In Water seem to me like nothing more than over-glorified GAME OVER screens, and make me feel like I just wasted my time. I can get the same practical result by just standing still and letting a nurse beat the fuck out of me until I die.

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 7376
Last seen at: Couldn't tell you even if I tired
^hahahahaha that is true.The bad ending is the easiest to getbecause it is practically impossible to get any of the other endings. :mrgreen: With out help that is.

World Toilet Organization
I'm like a circle, I'M TOO GOOD FOR CORNERS!!!

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 Mar 2005
Notes left: 698
Last seen at: Everett, MA
It was the first ending I ever got cuz I played the game guideless...and then played again on normal and got GOOD+. It may not be the correct ending, but it has the best song in the end (so I'm told...I like "Tears of Pain" much better than "Esperadonte" or whatever it is)

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Feb 2005
Notes left: 249
You know, I was NEVER able to get the Bad ending! I mean, the first I ever got was Bad+, then Good+, but I can never get just plain Bad or Good, cause Cybil ALWAYS TOTALLY BEATS THE SHIT OUT OF ME!! Seriously, the one time I was trying to beat her so I could get another ending, and I had used ALL my ampoules, nutrition drinks, and medical kits, and she was still BEATING on me as if I hadn't even dealt any damage to her! So I just gave up and dowsed her with the aglaophotis, seeing as I didn't stand a chance of killing her. :x

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Really? I never thought she was THAT hard...although her gun does pack a wallop. I always run like hell when I hear her gun click. And then wail on her when she puts it down.

Post subject:

never knew damn ive been playing the game years ok she was alittle strong for me when she kept choking me every 5 mins i got away from her

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Yeah, I agree with Alone. The bad endings do kinda feel like glorified Game Over screens.

For me though, the whole idea that all the events of the game were a dream kind of ruins it. Part of what really made it all so interesting to me was that "Holy sh*t!, this is really happening! Stuff like this just can't happen!" feeling.

Saying it's all a dream just lets the air out of it for me.

But then, I was disappointed by the ending to the Wizard of Oz, too.......

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

I think the aspect of it being a dream makes it unique to other video games cuz it makes you feel like you did all that for nothing. Unique, but not necessarily good. But I like it.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Hmm...I guess it's fairly unique as far as video games go, but it's gotten pretty cliche in other media, such as books and movies.

When presented with outrageous situations, our first thought is usually "this must be a dream." And then this ending comes along and says "yep, sure is." It just seems to fall flat and take the mystery out of it.

On the other hand, I commend Team Silent for having the guts to do it anyway. :)