Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 23 Jul 2019

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Radio? What's going on with that radio?

Missing since: 07 Oct 2006
Notes left: 27
Last seen at: Italy
Seriously, what's going on with that radio?
i don't understand... why is a radio supposed to detect nonexistent monsters' presences? i really didn't get it... well i shouldn't talk about this cause radio saves your ass most of the times but i was wondering WHY does it do that...
and i'd like to know if there's some kind of silent hill-style radio that rings when there's someone near me, that would be pure awesomeness!
I'm gonna search on ebay... :lol:

Now back to what i was saying, do you know why does radio work that way? if not, what's your theories? Is that a nonexistent thing too? does it represent Alessa's fear of the Radios :shock: ?
lol just kidding.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 11 May 2006
Notes left: 1070
The radio doesn't detect "nonexistent presences"? That'd mean there's nothing to detect and would make the sound when no monsters were around. (Actually that might be scarier, hearing silence only when it grows closer and the feeling of being alone is not just that).

The monster's presence interferes with the radio's wavelength signals, especially since the town is cut off from the outside world. The radio is still on, but can't make a connection to any radio stations sending out signals. The still radio tries to make the connection, but the monsters grow closer and shatter it's signal attempt.

Last edited by Moosefrenzy on 14 Oct 2006, edited 1 time in total.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Sep 2006
Notes left: 480
Last seen at: Heather's Apartment
My theory is that the monsters have something that bonds with them, causing the static. May be the simpliest theory, but it's what I think. Theres something within the enemies that make the radio go crazy.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Well yes the monsters interferee with the radio, that sounds obvious but:
1) why? (a theory might be the Mister_Creazil one, of course)
2) if the radio exists and the monsters are [spoiler]just Alessa's imagination/nightmare[/spoiler] how could radio know about the monsters around?
3) why does it appear to be OFF while fighting bosses?

Post subject:

The monsters are there, because Harry is present within Alessa's world. They were created, they aren't imaginary. As for the boss battles, it's just simple gameplay.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11383
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
It's like how EVP can pick up the voices of ghosts, except now it's monsters.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Jun 2006
Notes left: 357
I'll just agree with the EVP theory until something better is said :)

Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Aug 2003
Notes left: 4728
Last seen at: H-Town
The radio is just a nifty new feature to evolve the horror game genre, and to move away from other horror games of it's time.
The monsters does not contain lead, or any other metal, which interferes with the radio...

But that's just me being boring, so by all means continue with the over analyzing.

One could, of course, speculate the possibility that it was created and put there by Cheryl/Alessa to protect her farther.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Sep 2006
Notes left: 90
Last seen at: Alchemilla Hospital
It would get annoying if the radio was going off during a boss fight. The radio gives off the white static to warn Harry that something is nearby. So like B5160 said, Cheryl/Alessa may be protecting him, warning him of dangers.

The radio acts as a EVP ( electronic voice phenomena ) where the voices of the dead, from the "other side," can be heard from the machine. The onsters just groan and scream, the white noise they may try to communicate with Harry through the thoughts of Alessa ... ?....

Post subject:

The radio itself doesn't have to be special. I'm sure any radio, television, phone, etc. might've worked. Electronics of that nature are required by international law to accept all interference. The monsters, being psychic manifestations, most likely create such interference.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Oct 2006
Notes left: 20
So, the monsters in the sewers do not create interference since the radio doesn't work with them. But some monsters are the same than some we see on the surface, so why the radio don't work on them?

I see nothing logical with the radio, and seriously, I doubt there is any logical meaning to it.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 May 2006
Notes left: 2703
Last seen at: UK
AuraTwilight wrote:
The radio itself doesn't have to be special. I'm sure any radio, television, phone, etc. might've worked. Electronics of that nature are required by international law to accept all interference. The monsters, being psychic manifestations, most likely create such interference.

Exactly. Just like Henry's radio in his apartment picks up the hauntings in Silent Hill 4.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

i always thought that radio didn't work in the sewers because the sewers are under the ground and so the radio couldn't get signals, but the radio is supposed to work with monsters-only so... if the monsters are near to you (even in the sewers) it shall work... it is not a regular radio that must get a signal from a radio station nor something on the surface... well, maybe it was supposed to be that, but not now that Silent Hill has gone crazy (infacts even telephones don't work, except for the Alternative School One when you hear Cheryl's voice, but i guess that's just one of Alessa's "powers".), so, as Jake250 said, there's no logical meaning of the radio...(plotholes ftw). oh and Jake, i remember that there weren't monsters in the sewers that could be found on the surface. (I'm not sure at all, were on the surface some Claw Fingers?)

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Oct 2006
Notes left: 20
Arudap wrote:
oh and Jake, i remember that there weren't monsters in the sewers that could be found on the surface. (I'm not sure at all, were on the surface some Claw Fingers?)

I am pretty sure I saw one somewhere else than in the sewers... where, I really have no idea. But I may be wrong; someone else may be able to tell the truth.

Post subject:

The radio is clearly controlled by Alessa's subconscious. For whatever reason, she uh...doesn't want you knowing monsters are coming.

Post subject:

I found the crispy crackles within the sewers more frightening than the warning the radio gives. There was no radio noise simply to change and heighten the warning effect.

Post subject:

Missing since: 10 May 2006
Notes left: 4658
Last seen at: My Slinky! My cuddly little pet Slinky! *sobs*
Here's an example: My boyfriend and I work in the same restaurant. In the back area, where the dishwashers are, there is usually a radio playing. When my BF walks too close to it, it starts wigging out and going static-y. This does not happen when anyone else walks by it. Why? Because there's just something about how my BF is biologically that just fucks up radio signals. He can't use his iPod radio wave thing for the same reason.

Why do the monsters seem to make the radio go static-y? So that you can detect when they're around, but it attracts more of them, making an interesting dilemma for the player. How do the monsters seem to make the radio go static-y? Because there's just something about their biology that fucks up radio signals.

Two birds, one post. :mrgreen:

BACK FROM THE DEAD, BITCHES

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 11 Mar 2005
Notes left: 269
Last seen at: Burning on the Angry Chair.
monsters/ creatures that can travel thru dimensions supposedly tend to interfere with electricity.
I think the game is mimicking this.

Post subject:

Missing since: 10 May 2006
Notes left: 4658
Last seen at: My Slinky! My cuddly little pet Slinky! *sobs*
^Huh. Never heard that before... Where'd you hear it?

BACK FROM THE DEAD, BITCHES

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Sep 2006
Notes left: 265
Last seen at: The 90% of your brain you don't use.
I could have sworn it was radio waves as well as electricity. Anyways, watch White Noise, it has to do with this kind of situation.