Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 19 Nov 2019

Post subject: The three layers of the town

So we know the three layers of the town are normal Silent Hill, Mysty Silent Hill, and Ash(Alternate SH/Otherworld).

What I was thinking of is how poeple can be evident in one layer without existing in it.
Perhaps a person who is in the Ash or Myst part of the town only exists on that layer, but those who are in the normal town will exist on all three in some respect.

Seems Walter has the gift to do this...to exist between any layer at any moment.

But, the layers, they mingle and interact, but remain seperate.

Perhaps a victim of the town will appear as a body in normal Silent Hill, a conscience in the myst world(Ernest), and a manifestation in the Ash world(your thoughts becoming reality).
Perhaps the mental manifest of another, how they see themselves will become a twisted ill image to anyone else who perceives it(Monsters throughout the Ash world, as well). Perhaps to them, you're a monster...

Maybe one exists in the otherworld simply because they assume they exist, or someone else has assumed them(Maria).

Let's say James died shortly after entering the town in Sh2, but his mind had already manifested the surrounding dillusions. James lives on in Myst and eventually Ash because he actually manifested a version of himself, but the real james, in the normal world, is a dead body.

This stuff has no real evidence, just fun thought. What you guys think?

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 14 Oct 2004
Notes left: 2132
Last seen at: In the Cave of Rendezvous
Hmm... the "three layers" is a name I given to it... lol, so this seemed a bit familiar.
But it's ok. Finally a thread about JUST the layers, without having the same discussion in every other thread.

Actually it's called "Mist", not myst, even if "myst " is a good name too :-D

Walters reality is little different, due to the fact that we never leave his layer. Your apartment is an outpost, while the rest is just different levels in his mind.
It's all walters otherworld or "dark" silent hill.

Post subject:

True...

My ordeal is trying to create a distinction between the monsters and poeple. All the games hint that the monsters were once poeple, or that they only appear as monsters. No one has honestly confirmed it, outside of Claudia's Missionary.

I think the idea works that no one is physicall in Ash or Mist.
It's more than a representative manifest of you is there, while your true body is gone.

Their manifests look like monsters to you, then you look like monsters to them. Just like how perception made everyone look so ugly and twisted to Heather, when Leonard and the Missionary were most likely "normal" in our world.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
>All the games hint that the monsters were once poeple
No they don't. Only Silent Hill 3 suggests that--and is partially true.

There are only realites, either way.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Dec 2005
Notes left: 35
I often wondered how people existing in the normal Silent Hill world would perceive our heroes/heroines in the story from an onlookers standpoint. Would they see some crazy guy walking around aimlessly mumbling to himself? Maybe they can't even see them at all. Just a thought.

Post subject:

The only monsters that are told to be monsters are the scrapers and missionary in Sh3. The other monsters are manifestations by the unwilling creator.

anamelessone wrote:
I often wondered how people existing in the normal Silent Hill world would perceive our heroes/heroines in the story from an onlookers standpoint. Would they see some crazy guy walking around aimlessly mumbling to himself? Maybe they can't even see them at all. Just a thought.

Scene from sh1: Harry walks into a hidden hole inside the antique store. Cybil waits outside.
Harry disappears to the otherworld. Cybil can't see him.

Some times, people can see past the layers, but this only occurs in the unreality, not between the reality and the unreality.

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 7376
Last seen at: Couldn't tell you even if I tired
anamelessone wrote:

That is how they saw Walter Sullivan in the second one.The magazine article states that he was found near the secen yelling,"The devil made me do it,the red devil!He wants to punish me!" aor atleast something dang close to that. I am not saying that the people saw our heros,but the circumstances were different for Walter and our heros.

World Toilet Organization
I'm like a circle, I'M TOO GOOD FOR CORNERS!!!

RESPECT
 Post subject:

They can't see them at all. It's a seperate reality: Unreality. What happened to Walter, as he was arrested, was in Reality, the actual town.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 7376
Last seen at: Couldn't tell you even if I tired
^but how do you know that Walter was not between the realities.He can go between them on the forth one.Henry see's him in Braintree's aprtment the see's him in the other reality.

World Toilet Organization
I'm like a circle, I'M TOO GOOD FOR CORNERS!!!

Post subject:

Because one Walter can, the other cannot.

The Walter who was arrested in reality is simply that, Walter. He was arrested, tried, and commited suicide. I think he had insight, but no transcending abilities

The other Walter can transcend between worlds, the one that was split from the real one during his "trial" in Silent Hill...

Post subject:

Harry'sGirl wrote:
^but how do you know that Walter was not between the realities.He can go between them on the forth one.Henry see's him in Braintree's aprtment the see's him in the other reality.

When braintree goes into the world of Walter, his apartment experience a similair thing as Henrys. No one can see Henry from outside, because Henry is in the "outpost" of Walters world.
Walter pointing to her window is not seen by any others... remember that the detectives is in his apartment at the same time he stands there pointing. You hear that on the radio.
Why? Maybe because those outposts makes signals from the realworld produce itself through white noise, thus you being able to hear what they say in his apartment.
Walter isn't in the real world... it's you that sees the world as a mix of reality and unreality, because the place you are in... an outpost, a place that exists between the two realites, but mostly in the unreality.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1299
OK, let's assume there are three levels:
In Reality: Populated Silent Hill - A normal resort town, full of life.
Once removed: Misty Silent Hill - Deserted and dilapidated, and full of mist.
Twice removed: Nightmare Silent Hill - Filthy, decaying, and endlessly dark.
What I don't get is this: if Laura was an innocent, just an ordinary person visiting the town, why would she be in the Misty Silent Hill? Wouldn't she have wound up in the Populated Silent Hill, and therefore (like all the other denizens of the town) invisible to James?

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
Because the misty one reflects what you want in your heart. Laura, being totally innocent and a child (and an orphaned one), would see a town that she can do whatever she wants in. A town that provides ample entertainment like teddybears and a stupid James to trick.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

more importantly because she's an orphan--abandoned & alone. also: her best friend, mary, left her forever. she's alone in town because she's alone at heart.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Awwwwww... now you've got me feeling sorry for the little hand-stomper. :(

So people who are dealing with any kind of issues (grief, loneliness, etc.) end up in Misty Silent Hill, but only those who are dealing with serious guilt issues can shift to Nightmare Silent Hill, or see the creatures who come from there. Something like that?

Post subject:

Pretty much, yes.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

So if Laura (the only confirmed SH2 survivor) got herself adopted and became part of a loving family, and they returned to Silent Hill, she'd see a thriving resort town. Aside from the hotel, which burned up in real life. Or did it?

Post subject:

It did.

And as long as Laura doesn't, well, have any massive amounts of guilt equal to what Angela, Eddie and James experienced, yeah. She'd see the regular town probably.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Sep 2007
Notes left: 847
Last seen at: alchemilia
I think she would. I believe that she has no guilt or really bad actions to atone for.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

guilt doesn't matter.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.