Cassandra Dahlia?

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

JKristine35
Subway Guard

Cassandra Dahlia?

Post by JKristine35 »

I noticed that both Gans and Deborah Kara Unger refer to Dahlia as 'Cassandra Dahlia' in interviews, which I found curious. So I looked up symbolism of the name and found this site: http://www.answers.com/topic/cassandra

•Greek Mythology. A daughter of Priam, the king of Troy, endowed with the gift of prophecy but fated by Apollo never to be believed.
•One that utters unheeded prophecies.
I wonder if thats might be why they call her that, since Dahlia does make a prophecy that is later ignored (Evil wakes in vengeance. Be careful what you choose).
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: Cassandra Dahlia?

Post by AuraTwilight »

Probably. Dahlia's listed as "The Cassandra" on TVTropes, for what it's worth, so lots of people have already made the connection.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Hmmm... I searched Tv Tropes but didn't find that reference, maybe they took it off. At least now I know, I was wondering about that for awhile since I'd never heard of the tale of Cassandra before. 8)
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Huh. It was there last I checked in like December. TVTropes has been doing some cleanup all around though. Did you check the YMMV page? If so, you could add it to there and probably get it to stay if you explain the reasoning.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Checked it, but it wasn't there. I'll try to add it whenever I get the time.
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

I just noticed this thread, JKristine, and I had never thought much about Dahlia being called 'Cassandra Dahlia.' You make a very nice point there. Dahlia makes lots of predictions throughout the movie, with Cybil and Rose completely ignoring her, usually towards safety or to look for Sharon, and then it ends nasty. Very nice work, JKristine! Also, I really hope that you find that reference. I'd love to see it.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.