fear mode...mumblers??? original vs censored version

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

mrking
Just Passing Through

fear mode...mumblers??? original vs censored version

Post by mrking »

hello, I beat the game and saved it on fear mode. I continued on that mode so that I could get the laser gun but at the beginning when Harry was supposedly killed in the alley, the mumblers showed up rather than the grey children with knives. I thought what??? After doing research and reading online I didn't know there was a censored version. I had 2 copies; 1 black label and 1 greatest hits but both discs were black....Then I purchased a copy; grey disc with Cheryl on it for I read that this is the original disc. Is that correct?
Is greatest hits censored? Or was it the fact that I played it on fear mode?
I don't want version that replaced the grey children with mumblers for they are one of the scariest monsters in the game and must have for the alley and the school. The school is the scariest part of the game to me. Leave the mumblers in the sewers. So I want to avoid the censored version.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Re: fear mode...mumblers??? original vs censored version

Post by Mephisto »

Non NTSC-U copies are censored.
mrking
Just Passing Through

Post by mrking »

Thank you Mepisto!
Are there no grey children on fear mode?
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

I'm a little confused regarding what you said about the alley. When you play Next Fear it should skip the alley scene entirely and start the game when Harry wakes up in the cafe. (Next Fear is what you're referring to, right?)

But the mode you play should not affect whether you see mumblers or grey children as far as I know. This is only determined by the version of the game you buy. The American version of the game has grey children. In the European (and I think Japanese) versions, they're mumblers. They were censored due to being considered too child-like.
One of the discs you bought must be the censored version...? But I'm not sure how you could play that on the same console you played the American format on. I dunno. Your whole situation kind of confuses me, lol.
I have two copies of the American version, one black label and the other is Greatest Hits; neither is the censored version.
mrking
Just Passing Through

Post by mrking »

Thanks for the reply phantomess! I'm confused with this myself. I'll have to play it again using both discs to see if it happens again.

The fear mode I got allowed me to have everything including the katana sword and medallion for ufo ending. What I did was I saved game right before confronting Cybil and killed her(worst ending) and beat game then went back to same saved game to save her and the rest and beat game(best ending) and I didn't even know that this was how you get katana sword. Funny huh?

So from playing fear mode I didn't know if maybe that mode switches different monsters around in the game or what. After that I did research and found out about a censored version, which I do not like at all, I got worried and want to avoid censored version.
Haoie
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Haoie »

Censorship of this really irked me ever since I found out about it.

Yes, EU and JP versions.
If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.