Silent Hill 5: Cons (What you don't like)

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

silenthell88
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: Silent Hill 5: Cons (What you don't like)

Post by silenthell88 »

The main thing that turned me off was how hard this game is. I've never had so much trouble trying to beat a SH before. I'm glad I played it on PC so I could use a trainer. lol *ashamed*
Aspiring_Failure
Just Passing Through

Post by Aspiring_Failure »

Actually, I loved the combat engine. It's focus on skill and speed kept me on edge, and even though the game threw a lot of fights at you, they never really got redundant. It's especially fun if you're nervous and low on supplies and are afraid of messing up.

Edit: What I didn't like: I absolutely hated the fact the whole game felt like fanservice to the movie. Seriously, Pyramidhead shouldn't be there. And even though there's an excuse for them, the nurses should'a really been changed up at that point.
Yeah, ...I'm that awesome.
jeremyjh
Just Passing Through

Post by jeremyjh »

Aspiring_Failure wrote:Actually, I loved the combat engine. It's focus on skill and speed kept me on edge, and even though the game threw a lot of fights at you, they never really got redundant. It's especially fun if you're nervous and low on supplies and are afraid of messing up.

Edit: What I didn't like: I absolutely hated the fact the whole game felt like fanservice to the movie. Seriously, Pyramidhead shouldn't be there. And even though there's an excuse for them, the nurses should'a really been changed up at that point.
Yeah to me it felt refreshing and new. Most people tell me the combat is what ruined the game and/or that it was all combat based. To me it made the game harder especially with the Medicine stretched out everywhere (until you get out of the sewers) I am replaying on Hard now and I realized the notes actually make since now. (Except for the shes not here note :shock: ) but I do not believe that it is mostly all about combat, it has a nice story. (IMO)

The one thing I hated about the game is how rational the dissensions are on your ending and how their is a lack of secrets.

Other then that I thought the game was better then SHO and I felt that SHO was more combat oriented then SHH.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jeremyjh13? ... BjX2Y0gNrc- Survival Horror Game Library
TGST
Just Passing Through

Post by TGST »

The thing I hated the most about this game was the sections where you had to fight the monsters to be able to proceed, and the fact that the Needlers are the most irritating monsters in the Silent Hill universe isn't really helping.
Henry+Townshend23
Just Passing Through

Post by Henry+Townshend23 »

I hate chasing Josh's bitch ass everywhere! Like fuuuuuu-! Just shoot him alex, He'l; stop running then!>:C
Silent_Storm
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Storm »

It annoyed me how often I used a health item when I didn't mean to
What's the big deal - Laura
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

^ Exactly! I can't even count how many times I used the health drink or even better- the health pack on a full health.
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

I don't remember the way you take health items. Wasn't it pressing a certain face button when you were on a menu?
Why was it more of a problem in this game and not in others for you? Was it just accidental all of the time, or does it share a similar function with some other command?

Dead Space, if I recall correctly, had the ability to use a health item by simply pressing one of the face buttons, and I never had issue with that, personally.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

@ jeremyjh, Origins was way more about level design and exploration than combat, the most enjoyable parts of Origins were using the mirrors to get to the end of each level. The most enjoyable part of Homecoming was the combat.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Unexist
Just Passing Through

Post by Unexist »

I'f readed allot of posts in this section, and i came to a conclusion.. you all want team silent to return ! Well face it, it wont happen..

I liked homecoming, probably one of the few around here.. Yes the Pyramid head should not be there, even though i was fcking surpised that he was there and it scared me shitless ! :D

Part from that, i liked the game it was strange, felt really freaky and was really darkish like every silent hill game.. And unlike you guys i didnt see the plot coming at all !! ( Could be because it was my first REAL Silent hill i played by myself )

You guys are diehard Silent hill fans, like me by now.. ( Playing 3 now, and got to say that one isnt perfect also ! And im not talking about combat and such because its a older game, i mean story wise and the build up of the game ) but the thing is Homecoming improved allot of things, but yes had some downsides but furthermore it felt like a real silent hill game to me :)
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

Well, people are naturally going to be complaining or sound pretty down on the game in this thread since that's what it's dedicated to. You should check out the "SH5: Pros" thread to see the other side of things, too.
RinoTheBouncer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by RinoTheBouncer »

The hair of female characters looks nothing like current gen. graphics
Twitter: @RinoTheBouncer | www.rinothebouncer.com | Instagram: @RinoTheBouncer
Unexist
Just Passing Through

Post by Unexist »

@ Typo ah this is the whine treath xD didnt knew :) Still you should not complaign about things that where also in the past 5 Silent hills
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Typographenia wrote:Why was it more of a problem in this game and not in others for you? Was it just accidental all of the time, or does it share a similar function with some other command?
Well, accidental, yes. But the problem was that I played it on the PC. And I'm not really used to play SH on the computer. Hell, I'm not used to play anything on the computer. I dunno about the others, but my difficulty was that since I had adjusted the click option for shooting, and the menu option on the keyboard, I ended up opening the health menu, clicking on the health drinks for about as many times as I expected to shoot the fucking Smog.
Damn It All
Just Passing Through

Post by Damn It All »

Well besides the story and combat I was very disappointed to not be able to travel the town in a more open ended way like I could in others. I thought what with it being the first of the series on a next gen system it would make sense to do that.
The Heart is heaven but the Mind is Hell. - Tom Waits
Silent Milance
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Milance »

The members of the Order. Oh, how they ruined everything! Their costumes are ridiculous, the fact that they run around and shout things you would expect in a GTA game was the worst thing to happen to SH. It took all the scare away.

The combat was fun, yeah, but I preferred the feeling of helplessness you'd get when you take the role of poor Heather, for example. Also, the fact that you can kill almost everything with the knife was a little... weird. Can't decide if I hated that or loved it.

I also disliked the moment (I hope I remember this well) when you are headed somewhere with Elle and Wheeler and then you see a river of monsters going after you. I mean, what the hell was that?!? Since when is SH like that?

I also didn't like that they took the movie universe and built on that, instead of the earlier games... I'm not the kind of person to cling to old games and expect the same places, or monsters and I don't mind changes, but this was just wrong IMO.

I think that's it. Those are the things that ruined the game for me...
You've seen that horrible world, as well...
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Silent Milance wrote: The combat was fun, yeah, but I preferred the feeling of helplessness you'd get when you take the role of poor Heather, for example.
I think that Harry or James would've been a better example. Heather's pretty capable in combat with the blocking and all.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I just finished Homecoming last night...
1. The color scheme. Ewww. It makes me queasy rather than uneasy. Maybe that's what they were going for?
2. Alex is so slow! This made me so mad. Other characters could full-out sprint, and it was useful. Alex slowly jogs about. It's ridiculous.
3. I didn't mind the free-control camera too much. But I did definitely miss the pre-set cinematic camera angles from previous titles. They could've had some beautiful shots. I feel as though the camera in HC didn't allow me to get full enjoyment out of the environments.
4. The music. It's my least favorite of the series. It didn't add to the atmosphere usually.
5. I hated how you pretty much were forced to fight enemies. I always run in other SH's. On the combat system, I can take it or leave it. It's not a pro or con.
6. I disliked a majority of the areas.
7. I didn't like the emphasis on characters interaction. I like to feel cold, lonely, and isolated in SH. HC didn't do that for me. Too many (sane) people.
8.The End
globalwolf
Just Passing Through

Post by globalwolf »

Last edited by globalwolf on 11 Oct 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Cyrus Hanley
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Cyrus Hanley »

It was too linear for my taste. Thank goodness for Downpour.