----------

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

Next gens can also render way more complex and detailed textures. The realtime paint peel is a good start but they need to do a lot more than that.
Double Helix, I spit on your grave! :evil:
Dutchman
Gravedigger

Post by Dutchman »

SilentMadness wrote:
Red Pyramid Thing wrote:Worst quote so far: "We want to make Silent Hill 5 appeal to newcomers".

I didn't react well to that.
So that explains the 'hold-yer-hand' type of gameplay. Damn. :(
Why are we so against new fans anyway? Are we really that exclusive? Or don't we want other people enjoying the games? Selfish or self-preservation? What is it?
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/Ghoul68/banner_shh_4.png[/img]
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

I'm not against new fans at all, but if they are just going to start babysitting them and holding there hand while playing, that is what I am afraid of. Remeber, we were newcomers too and as you can see, we did just fine without them telling us how to open a door or press this button to dodge attack. People are a lot smarter then they think.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
Reciever_Of_Wisdom
Just Passing Through

Post by Reciever_Of_Wisdom »

I'm not against newbies, either, but c'mon, this is the sixth game. Newcomers should work their way up the chain like hardened fans have. If the easy-does-it gameplay covers new mechanics, I'm fine, but if it's gonna make a big deal about teaching me the art of swinging a lead pipe, that's how franchises trip up.

I'm looking at you, Sonic Heroes.
[size=67][color=red]If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin.[/color][/size]
Will
Just Passing Through

Post by Will »

I think newbies won't appreciate the deep history and SH atmosphere. SHV should not be made with a easy gameplay only to gain more players... With all this games made before, Team Silent should make new SH games for the fans, not for the "mainstream".
Dutchman
Gravedigger

Post by Dutchman »

Will wrote:I think newbies won't appreciate the deep history and SH atmosphere. SHV should not be made with a easy gameplay only to gain more players... With all this games made before, Team Silent should make new SH games for the fans, not for the "mainstream".
Well, I became a fan when I heard about Silent Hill 4 and the movie. I've researched on the internet and I've bought the games. I've played them in the correct order and I joined the forum to discover more about the games and related things. I don't deny that newbies can be bothersome and annoying, but you don't have to generalize them.
Rin
Just Passing Through

Post by Rin »

Will wrote:I think newbies won't appreciate the deep history and SH atmosphere. SHV should not be made with a easy gameplay only to gain more players... With all this games made before, Team Silent should make new SH games for the fans, not for the "mainstream".
Well, we can't really assume they won't appreciate it simply because of which installment they entered the series with, can we? A lot of fans came into the series at different points, yet they adore it just as much as any other fan. That's like saying you can't appreciate Book A because you weren't there to read it when it was first published in [insert century here]. Who knows, maybe some newbie will bring something new to the table.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

i can certainly understand why folks don't want a button to pop up on screen. it's pretty easy to go over to a door and press a button to open it. hopefully there's an option to remove on screen hints.

as far as the game, everything looks great. nothing looks dumbed down imo. i also agree with Rin and Dutchman
Shoot The Sky
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Shoot The Sky »

whats wrong with better graphics? Its going to be so crazily detailed! Im so excited
Reciever_Of_Wisdom
Just Passing Through

I'm loving the graphics too, but I think it's the style that's got people down. So far, from the present screens, the game seems to lack the ambiance that makes Silent Hill Silent Hill for us fans. This could be due to the lack of motion and filter effects, which I'm sure are removed from the screens for clarity reasons, and will hopefully be present in the final build.

As for the newbies, I understand that we all were one once, but it seems weird to make the sixth game the "accessable, user-friendly" one, but I can see how it would work out ok, seeing as how each game is generally self-contained, and the only time a previous title is required under your belt is if you want a near-scientific knowledge of SH3 :D
[size=67][color=red]If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin.[/color][/size]
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

I know one of the reasons why they made it user-friendly. Because those are the kinds of games they make. they make adaptation games (be it movie or show adaptations/look at Buffy) that are made for casual gamers. Notice how good they made the nurses and the otherworld peeling look exactly like the movie? It's their forte.

Rant what you want, but that's my opinion.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

Yeah I don't understand this thing of making it 'more accessible'. It never failed to gain fans before, and I'd hate to see it tailored towards Xbox frat boys. Like RE4 was fun cause unlike the previous titles you could just dip in and out with out needing to slog though long slow sections. However RE4 totally lacked the lasting atmosphere from the previous games as a result. Take that out of Silent Hill, and your not going to have a Silent Hill left.
Double Helix, I spit on your grave! :evil:
Reciever_Of_Wisdom
Just Passing Through

I'm with SilentMadness: of all the companies to hand the franchise over to, we get the developers of such memorable hits as Marc Ecko's Ripping Off Jet Set Radio While Trying To Make It Realis- I mean, Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure and a huge pile of licensed movie games. Although I'm glad they took a few notes from the movie, such as the peeling walls effect, I don't like how some things seem completely ripped, including the lack of atmosphere, and the nurse models.

I would like to see some of the other monsters, but so far, I've only seen nurses and some weird teeth-faced thing that's jumping out of the water in one screen
Varg6
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Varg6 »

I wouldn't mind (I hate to bring it up) a GTA4 type of styled game. What I mean by this is simple: Incredible amounts of detail in the environment but basically the same character models. I think the past Silent Hills have gotten their characters down to a T and nothing needs to change as far as modeling their characters from previous titles. I think more explorable environments along with awesome realism is the way to go. And to me, that is what they're doing...
Det Som Engang Var...
Harrys_Girl
Historical Society Historian

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I am hoping they will do another "Noise Effect" filter that is automatic on your first playthrough and then on your second and beyond playthroughs, have the option to have it on or take it off.
Reciever_Of_Wisdom
Just Passing Through

Didn't SH3 do that, too?
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

yeah, and so did sh2
words to live by
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

and origins did it as well
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
dr bones
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by dr bones »

this is all my opinion.

i don't care what some people say about the "crappy" graphics or the "sub-par" voice acting or "OMG!!!! DEY PUT P-HEDZ IN SH5!!! ITZ GONNA SUCK CUZ ITZ BEING MADE BY THE BUFFY PEOPLE!!! SH HAS SOLD OUT!!!!!" or "it's too blue" or alex's hair is too dark" or "the water looks funny" or "the monsters are too sexual" or "the weapons are too high tech" (for christ's sake Heather had a submachine gun!!! and it was available on the first play through!!!!) or "the noise filter isn't dirty enough" or "the fog isn't thick enough" or "Elle is too 'normal' looking" or "alex is too 'old' looking" or blablabla......

ever since i bought SH1 on a whim way back in the day, i've eagerly anticipated each new release. i remember the huge gap in technology between SH1 and SH2, and the way it blew me away the first time i played it. it was enough to make me buy a system i really couldn't afford in order to play it. i need to uncover as much of the mystery and immerse myself as deeply into the "world" as i possibly can. that's how much i thoroughly enjoy and appreciate this series and appreciate it as a work of art. of course it has a commercial side, but it cost money to make these games. welcome to the video game business. welcome to reality. i try my best to overlook the mishaps (cough.... cough... comic series.... cough.... cough.... movie..... cough.....)

based off what i've seen so far, Double Helix has done an amazing job of going out of their way to give fans what they've been asking for. obviously, they have an appreciation for the series that extends it's commercial value. and i, for one, am not about to abandon the series subsequent releases just because, after a decade of Silent Hill and it's growth over multiple platforms, some inevitable changes are happening.

i'm not going to sit around and nitpick every little detail about the game.... it's reasonable to voice our concerns (we are, after all, the fans... and this is, after all, our forum) but it just appears to me that people are being unnecessarily judgmental. i can't even imagine the pressures the developers must be under.

it's a different game. give it a chance. the graphics look gorgeous to me, especially for an unfinished game. i think when it all comes together with the sound effects, music, noise filter and other atmospheric effects.... it will blatantly be a silent hill game.
Dutchman
Gravedigger

Post by Dutchman »

^
I completely agree with you :wink: