New Proof that Homecoming May NOT be canon, and new theory.

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: New Proof that Homecoming May NOT be canon, and new theo

Post by AuraTwilight »

Tomm Hulett claims that the Alessa/Joshua fight would've been "Super Saiyan..."
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Droo

Post by Droo »

I'm sure he was just being sarcastic.

Although with Book of Memories I have to wonder if someone should remind him of glass houses.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I'm willing to give Book of Memories an excuse on the grounds of not being a serious entry to the saga, like Homecoming intended itself to be.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Augophthalmoses »

Book of Memories is just a little spinoff "fun" type of game kind of like Resident Evil: Outbreak or Survivor. Still don't get why people act like it will single handedly ruin the entire series, but Silent Hill has thrived on drama with its storylines and the series unfortunately has a habit of attracting drama queens.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Frankly, I'm fine with Book of Memories being as silly as it wants to be because that keeps that sort of thing from bleeding into a main game.

Remember those fan ideas about people wanting to play a "native american" character who can do shamanistic magic?

Because it's been suggested more than once.
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

A protagonist having "powers" of sorts could work in a Silent Hill. I know many fans would instantly churn out blood curdled screams of The Avengers or whatnot, but look at Siren. The characters have that nifty ability to sightjack and see where the enemy is looking and I'm not certain you'd find many people who'd agree that game lost its sense of horror and helplessness

I would certainly welcome such an idea of the main character having some sort of supernatural power as long as some thought is put into it.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The difference is that the Sightjacking is literally the whole premise and gimmick of the Siren series, and it's pivotal to survival because the characters are usually completely helpless otherwise. Silent Hill doesn't work like that, and to make it work like that requires changing Silent Hill sufficiently enough to take it out of the box people are comfortable with.

Some people are cool with that. A lot aren't. And it can very easily end up disastrous. But that's a different subject.

It's worth keeping in mind that the powers of BoM couldn't fit into any sort of proper horror game anyway, since they deliberately function like MMO powers. Buffing, Healing, huge elemental attacks, cooldown times...
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

Which is exactly why Silent Hill will always be stuck in limbo. It's impossible to think up any new ideas for the gameplay without many of the fans complaining about being taken out of their comfort zone and behave as if being taken out of your comfort zone is always inherently a bad thing (hell, isn't that more or less what Silent Hill is about?) and just want the same recycled gameplay mechanics over and over.

Recycling and too much familiarity is obviously detrimental to the very concept of horror, but what can you do with a fanbase like this one?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

That's pretty much exactly the problem. My opinion is basically to stop listening to the fanbase and do whatever they feel inspired to do. That's what Team Silent did.
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

AuraTwilight wrote:That's pretty much exactly the problem. My opinion is basically to stop listening to the fanbase and do whatever they feel inspired to do. That's what Team Silent did.
I agree. Even with trying to service the fans such as Pyramid Head in Homecoming backfired. The next developers need to stay away from fan forums and trite Silent Hill ideas.