In Defense of the Maria Ending

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: In Defense of the Maria Ending

Post by wonder's boy »

Silent Hill, to me, would be more like a soup than a salad, because the elements (the lore, mythology, spirits, cults/religions, etc.) are all present, and even mingle in some of the stories, though they remain their separate thing, floating in whatever "liquid" elements that make the town function as it does. Some aspects do mend closer together, though, but I still wouldn't call them one in the same or that they necessarily go hand-in-hand.

Like Heather's experience being both psychologically and cult-rooted. Not all of her journey revolved around the cult or even what happened in her past life, but her environment and what she encountered were certainly impacted by both of those and more.

The Otherworld often resonates a grab-bag of influences. I remember The Room having similar "ghost/spiritual" echoes through the use of sound and visuals, much like Downpour did in side quests, especially during the Building scenario (of The Room) when you're running around on all those rooftops. Details like this always gave me the impression that the town being the way it is hasn't happened solely because of one big bang in some obscure part of the land's history. I think there's been an accumulative effect, even if it all started some time long ago with an unknown seed.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

QUOTE: The Otherworld often resonates a grab-bag of influences.
True enough, because that's what it is. Team Silent changes from time to time, and the Otherworld (and the three-level Silent Hill multiverse) is the sum of each writer's ideas.

QUOTE: Darkness does not neccessarily mean evil.
In my opinion it does. A person might not have given themselves over to their darkness; I think that most of the characters in SH2 are essentially good people (even Eddie). But they have darkness in their hearts (even Laura), and it manifests differently with each of them. And their reaction to it differs, too: Angela is destroyed by it, Eddie is swept up in it.

More later, I'm timing out.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

QUOTE: Darkness does not neccessarily mean evil.
In my opinion it does. A person might not have given themselves over to their darkness; I think that most of the characters in SH2 are essentially good people (even Eddie). But they have darkness in their hearts (even Laura), and it manifests differently with each of them. And their reaction to it differs, too: Angela is destroyed by it, Eddie is swept up in it.
This is sort of difficult when, last I checked, you and I both agreed that Silent Hill made no moral judgments. If that's the case, how can it "call out to people with darkness in their hearts" when "darkness = evil"?

It's more appropriate, in my opinion, to interpret "darkness" as basically Jungian shadow, wherein one self-labels parts of their minds as undesirable, wish to excise it from themselves, and generally hate that part of themselves and refuse to accept it as a part of themselves.

Yes, this includes lots of "evil" things like malicious personality traits and memories of past deeds, but it also includes "I don't love him, he's a pig! I'd never be attracted to him!" or "I'm not gay, guys, really!"

It can even include "I'm not a good person. I only did those nice things as an excuse. I'm not that nice as I seem..."

It's an entirely subjective judgment we make on ourselves, and we usually don't consciously do it. I would wager that the only people who are immune to Silent Hill's draw are those who are completely and utterly at peace with themselves.

...Like Mary, before she got sick.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

I think the best argument when such a topic appears is Laura. Why is Laura drawn to Silent Hill? You can't just say because she's evil. She's an 8yr old girl. Why would she be evil? Because she stepped on a man's hand? Because she locked a guy in a room? Or maybe because she tried to scare him by hitting the piano keys? Let's face it. It's all just childish typical demeanor.

I don't think you can also say that there's a very deep and hidden part of her that desires something bad and twisty but does not accept it. Again, she's a kid. And still, she's got inside the womb of the Otherword.

Her desire is not darkness or evil in a literal way. She feels loneliness and as every lonely child she wants to see the person that got mostly dear to her. Moreover, the town registred such emotional agitation and offered a solution.

Therefore, I don't deny evil being present within some people. However, I believe it's not much of a factor and that that kind of labeling is fairly subjective.
Asphyxia606
Just Passing Through

Post by Asphyxia606 »

Fuck the Maria ending. Makes the whole experience feel pointless.
Previous SHH Accounts - BlackFire, BlackFire2
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

You could say that about every ending in the game. Do you want to explain WHY you think the ending renders the game pointless, and which endings you prefer more?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]