''What are you doing, son?!''

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

GrievousGarland

Post by GrievousGarland »

Video Gamer wrote:
GrievousGarland wrote:
Video Gamer wrote:The biker outfit directly references Travis. "Sometimes I like to don these leathers and ride my bike into the sunset..." or something like that.
Arguing the storyline using extras in the game isn't so hot an idea. That's like saying Master Chief is Orpheus, incarnate, because you can get an achievement with that name in Halo 3.
Well, who is to say that Travis hasn't ever ridden a bike? :P

and I'm only referring to to the ones directly unlocked from the endings. The costume you get from the ending is very related to the ending itself so therefore I think it's worth mentioning.
...Saving Alessa gives him leather clothes...Why?
has something do with him being a savior... maybe it's some movie reference I'm not getting. The accolade and costume just aren't as related as the one you get from the bad ending.
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

...So the accolade for the first ending you get has nothing to do with it and hints at nothing about Travis' character, but the accolade for unlocking an alternate ending totally does?
GrievousGarland

Video Gamer wrote:...So the accolade for the first ending you get has nothing to do with it and hints at nothing about Travis' character, but the accolade for unlocking an alternate ending totally does?
*claps* yes! ^_^
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

That makes no sense.
GrievousGarland

Video Gamer wrote:That makes no sense.
It's Silent Hill... it shouldn't. :twisted:
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

hnmm... that's what the game says... *waves around psp*
it's in the description of the butcher outfit. The butcher is apparently an infamous serial killer.... Travis has his outfit for some reason... hmmm.... >.>
It says no such thing. All it says is that Travis "found out a horrible secret" about himself. Again, that could support either of our theories.
...Saving Alessa gives him leather clothes...Why?
She has a leather fetish.
It's Silent Hill... it shouldn't
Now you're scraping the barrel. Saying "It doesn't have to make sense, it's Silent Hill" is pretty much a Godwin: You say it, you lose.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
amphreded

Post by amphreded »

Get back on topic please.
[size=84][b]QUICKLINKS | [/size][size=75][url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2362]SH1[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2313]SH2[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2327]SH3[/url] | [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=43347#43347]SH4[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17936]SH:H[/url] | [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=391270#391270]SH:O[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=85043#85043]SHMovie[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12563]SHGeneral[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/faq.php]FAQs[/url][/size][/b]
[size=84][color=grey][i]

[/size][/color][/i]
GrievousGarland

It says no such thing. All it says is that Travis "found out a horrible secret" about himself. Again, that could support either of our theories.
Check the description of the butcher outfit. It certainly does say that.

and the idea of finding out you're a serial killer is a lot more horrible then finding out: "Oh my god, I have bad thoughts just like everyone else in this world!" >.>

and I was joking about the "it doesn't have to make sense" thing. I was being silly. :P
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Check the description of the butcher outfit. It certainly does say that.
Terrible Secret != Omg Travis killed people.
and the idea of finding out you're a serial killer is a lot more horrible then finding out: "Oh my god, I have bad thoughts just like everyone else in this world!" >.>
I'd be more horrified that my entire life and identity is pretty much a lie, and my own mind has been trying to destroy me.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
GrievousGarland

Ahh... the bad ending gives audio of Travis killing people... then the accolade talks of a horrible secret.

>.>
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

We have audio, but no actual murders taking place. Just Travis on a table freaking out. He could be hallucinating.
GrievousGarland

AuraTwilight wrote:We have audio, but no actual murders taking place. Just Travis on a table freaking out. He could be hallucinating.
Then why doesn't the accolade say "Travis experienced a terrible hallucination"...?

What you said just doesn't fit with what my idea of a terrible truth is. That isn't to say you are automatically wrong, just you haven't proven yourself correct. Neither have I for that matter so I suppose that either idea would work.

Just... I think yours is more of a stretch than mine is. More power to you though.
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

Aura's explanation makes more sense when you think about it.

If he was a murderer, why would he be on the lose?
If he was a murderer, why would Alessa use him for help?
If he was a murderer, why isn't there more evidence in the game to suggest he is?
If he was a murderer, how come no one talks about it?
GrievousGarland

Video Gamer wrote:Aura's explanation makes more sense when you think about it.

If he was a murderer, why would he be on the lose?
If he was a murderer, why would Alessa use him for help?
If he was a murderer, why isn't there more evidence in the game to suggest he is?
If he was a murderer, how come no one talks about it?
-He hasn't been caught yet
-Alessa could have chosen him specifically for this reason. She seemed deadset on making him remember everything else after all.
-Because it's a secondary ending and I personally think there is more than enough in there to justify thinking this way.
-look towards my first point.
woofy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by woofy »

There are lots of murderers on the loose

Because he was in the right place at the right time and she can use him as a pawn

There is never a lot of evidence in Silent Hill, but there are clues that hint he is a
murderer

Talk about it? Seriously?
"Oh you know Travis?"
"Yea"
"I heard he's a murderer"
"omg... seriously? No way"
"yeah. I'm telling you it's a well know fact that Travis is a murderer. You can read about it on his blog"
"Wow... I had no idea" :?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Then why doesn't the accolade say "Travis experienced a terrible hallucination"...?
I already answered this. He learned a terrible secret about HIMSELF, as in himself as a person, not necessarily what he did. It's thoughts that count in Silent Hill, not what one did, so even if he was running around killing people, and his current personality wasn't connected to them in any way, there's no reason to have them. It's a gratuitous mindfreak. Therefore, my theory works best.
He could've atleast met angry manifestations of his murder victims for boss fights, atleast, instead of the COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT THEATRE.
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

I'm still conflicted on the whole "Travis is the butcher" thing. On one hand, I'm pretty sure he doesn't kill any humans before or during the events of SH:O. However, I do think the possibility is there that afterwards he goes batshit insane and goes on a slaughterfuck rampage.

It doesn't really matter if he does or not, anyways. The Butcher ending isn't the canon one, unless they let him out for murdering multiple people so he could pick up Alex Shepherd on the road some years later. Which is highly unlikely.
I once was lost, but am now profound.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The Butcher didn't necessarily kill anyone either. :D
GrievousGarland

AuraTwilight wrote:
I already answered this. He learned a terrible secret about HIMSELF, as in himself as a person, not necessarily what he did. It's thoughts that count in Silent Hill, not what one did, so even if he was running around killing people, and his current personality wasn't connected to them in any way, there's no reason to have them. It's a gratuitous mindfreak. Therefore, my theory works best.
He could've atleast met angry manifestations of his murder victims for boss fights, atleast, instead of the COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT THEATRE.
so the secret about himself is... he has a darkside? Bad thoughts? Most everyone does. There isn't any reason for silent hill to try to make him see that, it's a given for most people. The idea that he's been suppressing memories of murders is however much more gruesome and terrible.

well, they put the note in anyway. It isn't an obvious fact that he has been killing people, but there isn't anything there to disprove it. The letter was meant to hint at something and saying that "it's just an hallucination" doesn't fly in SH. If the butcher was just a representation of Travis's darkside then others should not have been able to see it. It should not have even existed till Travis walked into the town, yet someone was able to refer to it by name long before that.

My conclusion: "The Butcher" that the man in the theater is referring to is the press given name to an infamous serial killer that's deeds have been reported/televised (*cough* travis *cough*). That's why the man was able to put a name to what he saw.
woofy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by woofy »

> If the butcher was just a representation of Travis's darkside then others should not have been able to see it. It should not have even existed till Travis walked into the town, yet someone was able to refer to it by name long before that.

You have to remember that in Silent Hill, thoughts/feelings/emotions are physically manifested so it is quite possible that other people have seen the butcher. Also, time is a bit screwed up in Silent Hill so it is slightly possible that someone saw it before.

The secret about Travis is that he has homicidal tendencies- as much as he hates that fact about himself. All those issues are resolved once he leave Silent Hill though.

I'm thinking that maybe the hallucinations at the end are manifestations of his guilt about what happened in his family. After all, Helen blamed Travis for everything so on a subconscious level Travis feels responsible for his mothers condition, which in turn affected the relationship between Travis+Helen, Helen+Travis' father, etc etc. This would make Travis feel responsible for the death of his father. At then end of the game he cannot forgive himself, so he is trapped in Silent Hill where he becomes the dark side of himself. He 'creates' the illusion that he hurt everyone he loved, or his mind plays on the guilt he is experiencing. He creates his own little world (sound familiar SH fans? :wink:)
Or, it could be that Helen is correct about her son after all. He actually is a monster and doesn't realize it. The 'mirror people' were right after all...
Another theory - Travis has inherited Helen's psychosis and is actually strapped to a gurney somewhere in a hospital.