Origins is the best Silent Hill game ever made

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Harrys_Girl
Historical Society Historian

Re: Origins is the best Silent Hill game ever made

Post by Harrys_Girl »

You should give it a try, if nothing else, just rent the game and play it through once. It is not the BEST GAME EVAR but it has some parts that are really cool. Running around Cedar Grove was probably the best part of the entire game. The place is massive and w/ the mirror mechanic, it is twice as big as you'd think.
snakesonaplane
Just Passing Through

Post by snakesonaplane »

Kaiza Killa wrote:I still have not had the opportunity to play this installment of the series. The original poster does seem a little over-excited about it, but perhaps I too will share his/her excitement once I have played it. That is doubtful however.

H+
If you have a PSP download the PS store thing for you computer and buy origins. It's $9.99 there.

Here is what you download

http://us.playstation.com/psn/mediago/

Or download it from the PSP or PS3.

Assuming your from the USA.
Please view my Silent Hill 2 AMV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSh0RdDCLQ4

EmilietheStrange
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EmilietheStrange »

This is my least favorite SH game, but I still like it. I haven't disliked any of the SH games that I've played. I haven't played 1 or SM though.
Kaiza Killa
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Kaiza Killa »

Harrys_Girl wrote:You should give it a try, if nothing else, just rent the game and play it through once. It is not the BEST GAME EVAR but it has some parts that are really cool. Running around Cedar Grove was probably the best part of the entire game. The place is massive and w/ the mirror mechanic, it is twice as big as you'd think.
I would hire it but every video store that I go to does not seem to have it. I do not really ask for much, except for this game to exist outside of people talking about it on the internet. I have seen it in one store for sale but it cost too much at the time, now that it costs a little less, I cannot find it anywhere. It does sounds like a wonderful game though, and I will hire it the first opportunity that I get.
snakesonaplane wrote:If you have a PSP download the PS store thing for you computer and buy origins. It's $9.99 there.

Here is what you download

http://us.playstation.com/psn/mediago/

Or download it from the PSP or PS3.

Assuming your from the USA.
Unfortunately no (or fortunately depending on how you look it at). I am from Australia. And I do not possess a PSP as much as I would love to. Thank you for the links nonetheless.

H+
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

You could check Amazon. I am always getting bombarded w/ offers for it on a verity of platforms.
Kaiza Killa

Post by Kaiza Killa »

$15.49 new? That is a bargain. Unless that is in US dollars.

H+
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

Wow, some other people think that Origins is a great Silent Hill. I thought I was the only one! Yeah, Travis is a REAL man. Harry, James, Henry, and Alex just don't cut it. At least not compared to his level.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Kaiza Killa wrote:$15.49 new? That is a bargain. Unless that is in US dollars.

H+
Even in US dollars it's pretty damn good.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Kaiza Killa

Post by Kaiza Killa »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Kaiza Killa wrote:$15.49 new? That is a bargain. Unless that is in US dollars.
Even in US dollars it's pretty damn good.
I had guessed as much but I was being cautious. I did not want an American chewing me out for saying that $15.49 is cheap by any standard if in their terms it was $50.00 or upward. But given that it is at a low price by US standards also, I might be able to fit this into my currently tight budget.

H+
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, when I think "Cheap Game in US dollars", my mind thinks somewhere around $20-$25 ish, so it's atleast a deal by five or so bucks.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Joseph
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Joseph »

snakesonaplane wrote:Always worried about something or someone. But this man OH BOY! He was a TRUCKER! A real burly man! I would love it to death if he ran through my silent hills :?

Sorry to be blunt but throughout my Silent Hill experience I have always wanted a real man in the game. Thank you Climax Studios for making this game a real Silent Hill game with a REAL MAN! Your name is the truth!
"..."
Who agrees with me on all the above statements? I just wish that there could be a Silent Hill Origins 2.

I might make a petition.
I have the urge to shoot a deer right now.
http://twitter.com/quieterworlds
Forget it, Jake. This is Chinatown.
Apatheria
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apatheria »

Masculinity of the main character DOES NOT make a game. If that's the entire basis of the argument, I'm unconvinced. Frankly as far as I'm concerned, Travis might be the most poorly developed protagonist character in the series (although he is quite handsome, that I will give you.) But for me, while Origins did have some cool things going for it, it remains the most forgettable in the series that I've played.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Travis might be the most poorly developed protagonist character in the series
The one who happens to win the number 1 spot in this subject is Henry.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

No, he atleast had a motive for going from place to place in his game, and he actually emotes.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

Apatheria wrote:But for me, while Origins did have some cool things going for it, it remains the most forgettable in the series that I've played.
I'll agree to this. I liked playing Origins when I was playing it, but I quickly forgot about. At least games like SH4 and Homecoming, as mixed as I am about them on various different levels, leave me thinking about them and talking about them. After Origins I was just kinda like "oh... okay". I was a bit upset about how they portrayed Alessa, but I forgot I cared soon after. It's my least favorite in the series, but I really go wanna give it another playthrough sometime.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

AuraTwilight wrote:Yea, when I think "Cheap Game in US dollars", my mind thinks somewhere around $20-$25 ish, so it's atleast a deal by five or so bucks.
Exactly. Every new game is selling for around $50-$70. That's around 1/4th of a Wii, or 1/6th of a PS3. It's going to be more expensive with 3D. GameStop has it used for $17, I can hardly find a cheap place besides eBay...
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Mephisto wrote:
Travis might be the most poorly developed protagonist character in the series
The one who happens to win the number 1 spot in this subject is Henry.
Henry was very ingeniously developed though. He was developed as the perfect canvas on which Walter could impart his story, thus fulfilling his role as the Receiver of Wisdom. A "more developed" character would have had personal issues and interpretations that got in the way of his purpose.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
Apatheria
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apatheria »

Yeah, Henry wasn't really supposed to be a well developed character. Travis was; they were obviously trying to build on him. For example, the whole shtick about him having a violent side (The Butcher) was very poorly implemented; they didn't do enough with it. Because they were actually attempting to develop Travis, but failed to do so, I consider him the weakest protagonist in the series.
LuciaInFurs
Just Passing Through

Post by LuciaInFurs »

I still think that they could have done more with Henry without stepping on Walters toes. Just some hints of a personality would have been nice, he needn't have had a fully rounded background and problems of his own.
[color=yellow]The Electric Angels [/color](here be tales)
[url]http://luciainfurs.wordpress.com/[/url]
~*~*~*~*~*~
[color=red]"Don't you know there ain't no devil,
it's just god when he's drunk"[/color]
Restoration01
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Restoration01 »

Well, I'm not all that crazy about Travis as the first poster is, but I think that Travis is a good character.
Climax just didn't have enough time for it. And if only the game was longer...