how origins could have been better

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

I like the earlier version of the strait-jacket. The face makes it look less like a lying figure. Also, that wheelchair monster was badass. They should have kept that.
Silent_Storm
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: how origins could have been better

Post by Silent_Storm »

It sounds simple but the streets between locations could of done with some serious work
It lacked the suspense and foboding doom the previous games had
What's the big deal - Laura
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

Origins was very good, IMO it is one of the creepiest SH game. The game captures the SH vibe perfectly.

The alternate worlds where amazing and both very different from each other. But I agree the gameplay sucks, fighting monsters was a pain. I was not a big fan of mirrors shifting otherworlds, It took away the feeling of being imprisoned in a hopeless nightmare.
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

The game could have been lightened up a bit. I swear this is the darkest game in the series and I had a lot of trouble navigating through various areas in the game.

Also the camera positioning was really awkward in some spots, making it even more difficult making my way around.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
Miette
Just Passing Through

Post by Miette »

I'm going to admit that I found about %70 of the gameplay annoying as hell. The menus, the monsters, how blotchy the graphics were and how awkward everything about the game was. I really am not a fan of the gameplay, which is disappointing because I found the plot intriguing. And Travis is a pretty cool protagonist.
If the children don't grow up, our bodies get bigger but our hearts get torn up.
SHF

Post by SHF »

The storyline itself was very good. Just the presentation of it was mediocre.
I personally hope for a do- over on this game.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

I think, besides story which I'm sure people have already touched on in this thread and all across the forum, what really could have been improved was the gameplay. Weapon degredation honestly had no business being in that game, especially when it caused metal meat hooks and tire irons to break after a couple hits. If there could have been a balance between permanent and one/limited use weapon items I think it would have made a huge difference and overall been more fun; it would allow you to strategize how to beat the monsters without the frustration of losing all of your weapons before killing a mob.

I also found there to be a very limited supply of health items, at least to where I played up to (which admittedly wasn't terribly far into Cedar Grove) and it made me extremely frustrated rather than paranoid of the monsters because I was getting my butt handed to me left and right and they're really hard to outrun.

Overall, I found 0rigins really hard to play...
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

- connections to sh1 were poorly handled
- boot stomp was hard to pull off
- too many weapons
- not enough scenes
- Alessa seemed too evil

I still like it a lot better than 4 or Homecoming though.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
SHF

Post by SHF »

^
very good point about the boot stomp. I don't know how many times I kept trying to stomp those damn straightjackets and they always got up.
Downer
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

^It was because they programed it so that you couldn't even be touching the analog stick if you wanted to pull it off.
SHF

Post by SHF »

^
For what purpose? Challenge? The game was challenging enough with all the weapons being able to break.
It seems more like they didn't really work on perfecting the boot stomp.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I honestly have no idea why. I just remember that I had to experiment with the stomp to figure it out. If you keep pushing on anything other than x, the stomp won't work, period. Climax done fucked up there.
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

I never had any trouble with the boot stomp... probably cuz I fought with the guns and long reaching weapons most, without touching the analog nub whilst fighting. I think to make Origins better they could've done without Kauffman and Lisa being in their. I would've liked SH3 chars and refferences. Afterall, that would've made for an arch between origins, 1, and 3. Seeing a flashback of Claudia and Alessa playing, or Claudia somewhere in the game pulling a Laura-ish role, or maybe even a teenage vincent, even Priest Stone or Walter, as a prequel, this game has alot of wasted potential. (I can imagine Travis walking in on an argument between two members of the vcult or two sects of the cult.)
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
Kompwars
Just Passing Through

Post by Kompwars »

i neverunderstood why alessa comes out of no where after u beat a boss or get one of those puzzle pieces or somthing....i thought she burned in the house at the beginning of the game! O_O hmm i havent played this game for a while....so maybe i just dont remember stuff quite well
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

The Alessa that shows up is an astral projection of her. The burnt body is in the possession of the Order.
SHF

Post by SHF »

Kompwars wrote:i neverunderstood why alessa comes out of no where after u beat a boss or get one of those puzzle pieces or somthing....i thought she burned in the house at the beginning of the game! O_O hmm i havent played this game for a while....so maybe i just dont remember stuff quite well
To put it simply, it's her projection. Like what our friend said, her physical body is with the order at Alchemilla Hospital
Biccard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Biccard »

If the game had featured what the 2006 trailer contained, then I think the game coulda been much more interesting. But I still love Origins! It seems that Climax was working on a Silent Hill title for PS3, but cancelled to make way for Homecoming. Look here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duv0pLqpYPw Actual Silent Hill game or fan-made? Or even a totalt different game?
By the way, I read a couple of days ago that Climax may be working on a Silent Hill for ps3 right now.
SHF

Post by SHF »

^
Where did you read that from? As far as I know, only Downpour is in the works...
Biccard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Biccard »

I will find the link later today, I'm a little busy right now. But Devin Shatsky said that Downpour has been in development for nearly 3 years, which means it had been in production for nearly 2 years when it Wwas announced. So who knows how many Silent Hill games is in the making RIGHT NOW :D Nice thought.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Well, going off of the collective/double helix's story of "we made a demo to show how much we wanted to get the chance to make a game" we could likely assume that Climax was doing the same thing.

It really just looks like they were making a quick example for konami showing them they wanted to continue handling the property and here's how they'll do it.