What scared you about SM?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

ico wrote:the city of Silent Hill itself was probably the best version yet
Personally I didn't think that at all... I liked the layout and buildings but compared to the others it seemed so... bland, and empty. You could explore but since there were no health drinks or weapons there was no point in doing so, and usually even if you did you just found snow banks and dead ends. The town was still 'alive' and populated as well which does away with the awesome ruined ghost town feel of the fog world (No fog at all in this Silent Hill unless you play on the PS2 version which has basic fog so it can hide more objects to keep up the frame-rate) and due to it being perfectly safe outside of the ice-world there was really no uneasy feeling to the place, just awfully quiet.

If you changed the names of the places and of the town and showed me it I wouldn't be able to tell you it was Silent Hill.
DirtyNorris
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DirtyNorris »

I played this game in dark, with my headphones on. I wasn't scared, nor disturbed by anything. Story wasn't that great either, but the city of Silent Hill itself was probably the best version yet. Overall, this is my second favorite SH game. (I really thought that this would have been even better game, without any monsters chasing player. Getting away from monsters was too easy and on second playthrough was no challenge at all.)
I'm struggling to understand why this is your second favourite SH game. You don't like the story or the chases, you weren't scared, nor were you disturbed. What did it for you?
[img]http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac241/DirtyNorris/o0p1cpjpg.png[/img]
Travis
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Travis »

^Maybe he's only played two SH games so far? :P

Seriously though, this game is very good in spite of its flaws.
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I thought so too, it's one of those fundamentally flawed masterpieces. I found it frustrating, empty, short and repetitive, and yet it was atmospheric, beautiful and memorable just like any good SH game, and very emotional with great characters. A lot like Silent Hill 4, whose story and amazing atmosphere help you to forgive it's painfully mediocre puzzles and annoying enemies.

I think the difference, though, between SM and SH4, well, up there I used the terms empty, short and repetitive, none of which are necessarily huge problems until we compare it to the previous SH games. Judging it by it's own merits I think it's a stronger game than SH4 was, but by Silent Hill standards, SH4 delivers more surprises, suspense and disturbing moments.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
ico
Just Passing Through

Post by ico »

Travis wrote:^Maybe he's only played two SH games so far? :P

Seriously though, this game is very good in spite of its flaws.
:lol: Seriously, i have played and own all Silent Sill games, that have been published on Sony's consoles. I said the story wasn't that great, but i didn't mean it was terrible. Compared to SH 2/4, i don't think any other SH can top them. None of the SH games has ever scared me, nor disturbed (Ok, that fucking cat locker/corpse locker from SH1 made me jump). I just enjoy the great stories and exploring. SH:SM has really different mood than others and i really think it would have been almost perfect without any monsters. Little details that change story, slow paced exploring and all the side-stories were just brilliant.
NothingLikeSleep

Post by NothingLikeSleep »

nothing
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

The first two chase sequences. After that, it was frustrating.
AomiArmster
Just Passing Through

Post by AomiArmster »

i'd say what scared me most came.. in like a series.
1st thing that freaked me out was the timing of when i played, before i got my hands on the game the weather was nice and sunny---play the game shit got cold, next day couldn't see the sun it was chilly and windy. its really silly but lol i thought it was creepy.

2nd thing that freaked me out.. was the woods everything about it because i got my arse mauled out in the woods before so I was on edge... bias there.

3rd ...nightmare modes, all of them. things that are warped and wonky and stuff that shouldn't be there... yeah hell of a lot of mind-molesting.
As long as you bleed you'll be fine.
BloodRedScarlet
Just Passing Through

Post by BloodRedScarlet »

The idea of what happened to Cheryl. I was worried about her even though I spoiled myself ages ago. This game really drew me in.

And the chasing sequences, when you look back...god, it's nerve-wrecking. To see them coming at you...
[color=pink]I know. [u]I know[/u].
There's [b]something[/b] I've forgotten
Like [i]a time[/i], [i]a place[/i]...?
A [i][b]shattered memory[/b][/i].[/color]
[img]http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae216/ScarletMetal/Dahliabedcopy.jpg[/img]
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

...with their boobs jiggling and the strange 'balls' in their mouths...

Or was that just on my profile?
BloodRedScarlet
Just Passing Through

Post by BloodRedScarlet »

Just on your profile.

Boobies? DAMMIT, I got the short end of the stick.
[color=pink]I know. [u]I know[/u].
There's [b]something[/b] I've forgotten
Like [i]a time[/i], [i]a place[/i]...?
A [i][b]shattered memory[/b][/i].[/color]
[img]http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae216/ScarletMetal/Dahliabedcopy.jpg[/img]
SilentHillSurvivor

Post by SilentHillSurvivor »

NothingLikeSleep wrote:nothing
What he said.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

SilentHillSurvivor wrote:
What he said.
The game was supposed to be scary?! :?
Foood
Just Passing Through

Post by Foood »

Well, the whole experience was more cerebral. there weren't any sudden boo moments, but some parts like the movie theater's silverscreen depicting a distressed Cheryl certainly crawled under my skin.
SilentHillSurvivor

Post by SilentHillSurvivor »

SPRINGS02 wrote:
What he said.
The game was supposed to be scary?! :?
It was? Well to me it was the least scariest of the series, the whole icy look just ain't scary and the fact that Harry can run on an Olympic quality level made it even less scary that and the music wasn't as scary as previous games and no scary ambiance sounds like glass breaking or weird noises like animals dying in the background. Just simply compare SM to any other SH and you'll see my point.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Can the raw shocks get penises, by any chance?
D@nte
Just Passing Through

Post by D@nte »

Scared that's a laugh I fell alseep playing it.
ashatteredmemory
Gravedigger

Post by ashatteredmemory »

the thing in SHSM that really freaked me out was the jump down Nowhere and suddenly you hear "I LOVE MY DADDY!" in those distorted sounds
"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

simeonalo wrote:Can the raw shocks get penises, by any chance?
Not that I know of.
Nurse
Just Passing Through

Post by Nurse »

What he said.
What they said.
SPRINGS02 wrote:The game was supposed to be scary?! :?
Beats me... I honest to god forgot it was supposed to be when I played it.
D@nte wrote:Scared that's a laugh I fell alseep playing it.
:lol: I somehow managed to stay awake, but I was bored pretty much the whole time.
I'm not sure how I even convinced myself to try playing a second time.
[img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc231/nanatsuiro/graphics/jamessig2.jpg[/img]