How did you feel when the game ended?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Re: How did you feel when the game ended?

Post by Typographenia »

I'm not really sure how to describe it.

I wasn't sad, but I was empathetic. I wasn't confused, but I was still trying to piece everything together.
I guess the best way to describe it would be a "break through." (lawl)

I managed to get the absolutely best ending possible on my first playthrough. After beating it 5 more times and getting all the endings, I still think I preferred it the most. Really glad I managed to get it on my first run.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I don't think any of the endings are more canonical than the others, each one is just what happens on the video after the bit Cheryl keeps re-watching, the bit she refuses to watch, because she won't accept that Harry wasn't this perfect hero type. If I had to pick one to be canonical though it'd be the divorce ending. It just seems to be the least over-the-top one.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I don't think any of the endings are more canonical than the others
Neither do I. I just find it interesting that there's such a noticeable leaning towards sexual issues with Harry in the game. I personally find all the endings canonical, but that was shot down by Word of God.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

I felt absolutely friggin devastated about it.

I didn't see any of it coming or the end of the game coming until the very moment I opened the door.

When I was watching the ending, I was in my dorm room and my friend came in to grab her bottle opener. I didn't even say a single word to her or anything. I probably looked like I was on the brink of tears hah.

It was a really beautiful game.
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

AuraTwilight wrote:Yea, I'm pretty much half-convinced the game fucking trolls people, because no one's been able to figure out how the damn thing works. It's pretty clear it's not random or anything, but no theories crafted on what gets what ending and such ever pans out. They did a stupendous job at keeping people from fudging the endings they want.
I've got about a page and a half written trying to understand the "choice tree," for lack of a better phrase, that pieces together the process as I understand it. I may not understand all the technical terms in the programming, but I think I'm getting the psychology involved. It's just another experiment that happens to be in the format of a game. :)
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

DistantJ wrote:Interestingly the game became more emotional each time, due to realising what things mean. I mean the photograph you take of Cheryl alone on the swing, when she says "Daddy I need you" or something similar the one time I interpreted it as Cheryl not long after the accident etc.

She only says that in some of the games. I also heard "Daddy, don't come." in a sad voice and "Go away!" in a harsh, angry tone. The first one I got was the "Daddy, don't come." call and it damn near broke my heart. I was thinking Cheryl was protecting me, not wanting me to risk my life for her. Only later did I realize she was
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
trying to protect her illusion
which would make sense w/ the ending I later got in which she does just that and refuses to believe.
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

^I felt the same way, and then it got all twisted when I listened to online clips of phone calls after playing. When you think about it like that, though, it's sooo much more interesting! Characters impeding your progress, or trying to push you away, were acting as
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Cheryl's defenses
. That's really neat. That's some well thought out story planning. :)
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
noni_moon
Just Passing Through

Post by noni_moon »

Absolutely nothing. :roll:

Simply because it was too short and I felt no emotional connection to any character whatsoever.

The twist ending itself was brilliant, though.
Cheryl?
Just Passing Through

Post by Cheryl? »

I'm a long time fan of ALL the games, well, most of them. I just joined (Hello!) because I've read alot of flak the game got for being too this, and not enough that. I understand the gripes and respect them, but when I finished the game, I got what was considered the best ending, "Love Lost" ending I think. I must say, it was the best silent hill I've played since 1,2, or 3. Even more so, it has the best story out of all of them, and yes I've played 2. The twist and the way it was revealed was like vibing to a good song. It just struck with me. It could have done with a couple monster variations, (like a few other creatures that evolved with your psych profile as well) and a few more scares, but it stands as my favorite ending to a videogame ever, next to MGS3.
Mumbler
Just Passing Through

Post by Mumbler »

Uhm yeah. It totally screwed me up. Complete mindfuck.

I still don't understand most of what happened. D: Continuing from the worst SH1 ending?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

No, just an alternate universe.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

You'd think the fact that it is a totally different time period, the fact that it is another universe would be more apparent to people. :roll:
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Yeah..i don't get why people continue to try and make a connection to the original universe....it's a completely seperate entity.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

They do it w/ every game, deciding what is cannon and what is not. I personally believe that SH: SM is cannon, just another version of the cannon. BUT I am also a hardcore fan of the game and it has become my second favorite game (after SH1, of course) in the entire series(including the god-awful Orphan games) and 'round here, that is the most basic sin. JOO DUN'T LIEK SH2 BST?!?1?1?! BLASPHEMER!!!
Mumbler
Just Passing Through

Post by Mumbler »

I was just wondering. :P

To be honest, I'm TOTALLY lost about these sort of things, and I was just trying to force it to make sense in my mind. But now I've thought about it some, I see that it is another universe. Either way, I like it.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Don't worry, HarrysGirl. :3 SH2 isn't my all time favorite either.
dragonflydusk
Just Passing Through

Post by dragonflydusk »

It changed my entire view of the game, actually :shock: I don't typically rant before I finish a game as I like to keep an open mind with them, but I spent most of the game hating it and cursing it's existence. But once I got to the end, I had a complete change of heart. Now I look forward to replaying it and piecing things together.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Heh, that's awesome. It's not often a story twist completely reverses your feelings for the better like that.
dragonflydusk
Just Passing Through

Post by dragonflydusk »

No kidding. If anything, it generally does the opposite. It kind of jarred me out of my obnoxious pre-judgement of the game, too.
Miette
Just Passing Through

Post by Miette »

The first time I beat it, I was mostly just confused because I wasn't expecting the twist. The second time, I was very sad. I believe I actually teared up a bit.
If the children don't grow up, our bodies get bigger but our hearts get torn up.