SH6 bosses

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

rdtorres87
Just Passing Through

Post by rdtorres87 »

yeh i didnt really say it right , maybe just like the power of silent hill possing a child? could seem pretty disturbing...maybe
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

Not missing the fact that you can't kill the child. Now that sounds silly.

It's a bad idea nonethless.
rdtorres87
Just Passing Through

Post by rdtorres87 »

yeh bad idea maybe but if the child is part of the story and how much it gets hurt in the fight or if it dies can change what happens in the game or what ending you get might be alright. maybe there could be a few different ways of getting past bosses which determines the course of the game, like killing them or getting passed them leaving them trapped or something.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

"The main character walks into a large room. Only a small, yellow light suspended on the ceiling illuminates the mangled body of a dead man on the floor. His legs are ripped off, as some of his fingers are. Stabs from what seems to be from bits of glass have disfigured his face the point of nonrecognition.

Suddenly, the yellow light gives a gleam off of something shiny underneath the man's jacket. The main character walks towards the body. As the main character does so, the light begins to flicker. On. Off. On. Off. The lamp suddenly gives out just as the main character kneels down to pick up the key.

A flood of screams are heard, and a lone candle lights up several feet of where the body should have been. The candle shows that the body is not there anymore. More screams are heard, and more candles begin to illuminate the corners of the large room.

The room is revealed to be a ball room. A music box, suspended from the ceiling on a long, black, pulsing vein is heard. The melody is dark and damp, it sounds like it should only be played at times of suicide and funeral.

"Gotcha." A large, porcelain-like woman is shown dancing. Her head spins and her legs rattle, a little ballerina-all in sync with the music box suspended from the ceiling. She giggles, and proceeds to attack the main character. Gusts of wind seem to produce from her large bloody mouth as she dances and dances. Her hands are replaced with shards of broken glass that seem to have been stabbed through her bloody, fleshy stumps that are her 'hands'.

A piece of her porcelain pops off of her skin-which seems to be breaking. Black veins-much like the one holding the music box from the ceiling-adorn her. The piece of porcelain. Your only weapon.

The main character mutters "Oh my God.." but then an idea pops up in her head. The piece of glass. So sharp and shiny. The candles. The woman dancing and dancing, spinning and spinning-going too closer, wanting to cut and cut and slice and dice and maim and mangle.

Holding the piece of porcelain, [MAIN CHARACTER'S NAME] begins to back up. Suddenly, a gust of wind from the woman's mouth blows out the candles. Only the light of the music box illuminates the ball room."

Boss Fight: The Glass Ballerina (A.K.A. Screaming Woman, Crying Woman, Wendingo Dancer, Ballroom Dancer, Porcelain Woman)

Tactic: Throwing her "skin" of porcelain at the black vein on the ceiling weakens her, destroying her sync with the music until she dances randomly with the broken melody.

Burning her black flammable blood with the candles stuns her.

WHO LIKES MY BOSS FIGHT IDEA.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

Being honest, eh. It feels like half Scarlet from Homecoming (which I actually did really like, but it's been done now) and half a grotesque horror version of some Legend of Zelda boss. It'd probably be an interesting fight, but it's way too cheesy and over-the-top for me to really like it as a Silent Hill boss.

I normally love epic over-the-top bosses, but I'm more for the idea of the bosses being a bit more subtle in a survival horror game. ESPECIALLY a Silent Hill game. SH3 is really where I draw the line, they did it well, but any more huge or over-the-top than that and it starts being too much ala Homecoming. Plus, some of the ideas there are a bit too cheesy, especially all the candle business.

Personally, the best Silent Hill boss for me will always be
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Maria.
Loveless_Dogg

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

I'd like the main villain to be Gozer, that way, the main character will face the first thing that comes to mind. like a giant toaster or something. :p
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

What Nanaya said. But I do like the idea of bossfights forcing you to use a specific weapon or something.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
pistukas
Just Passing Through

Post by pistukas »

RyanBucek wrote:Kind of like a doppleganger but darker and scarier. Maybe some relevance to a mirror. A reflection of the character.
When I read this, an idea popped into my mind. I know it's stupid but:
I imagined a huge hall with 2 doors. Through one door the main character enters, trough another - a darker and scarier version of him. BUT the idea is that depending on your actions in the game, you can be either one of them. If during the play you kinda unfold your darker characteristics, you become a darker version of yourself at the end and fight a good version of yourself. Of course, your appearance during the game should gradualy change: you would get scared, eyes would become darker, maybe even you would be torched... I mean accidentaly (or not) cought into the fire and survived. Maybe then the game would change you just before the last battle so you would look more creepy. And again, if you would make good decision, you would control the good version of yourself entering the hall trough another door and figting the dark version of yourself. Ok, that's just stupid :D
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

That might be good if done right, but very few games with Good/Evil scales do.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
RyanBucek
Just Passing Through

Post by RyanBucek »

That sounds like a very creative idea,
EmilietheStrange
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EmilietheStrange »

I actually really liked the boss fights from Homecoming, especially Scarlet. Having to figure out a different strategy for each boss is more fun that simply shooting, dodging or running, shooting some more, and hoping it dies before it reaches you. So I would like to see more boss fights like the ones in homecoming, just with smaller bosses. I mean, Sepulcher was about 20X bigger than Alex, and that's too much of a size difference.

As for symbolism, this is a must. I do not want any 'randomly placed bosses that are only there to scare you and have little to no symbolism.' I felt that the split worm fits in this category. Plus, it kind of looks like something you'd see in a super Mario game.
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

As for symbolism, this is a must. I do not want any 'randomly placed bosses that are only there to scare you and have little to no symbolism.'
I actually think you just described the bosses from Homecoming.
Oh! He had a tree house! Okay, let's make this one look like a tree!
Oh! She liked dolls! Okay, she's going to look like a doll!
Oh! She was strangled! Okay, she's going to have hands covering her mouth!

The Split Worm's meaning was relatively simple as well; it paid as an homage to the Lizard fought in Midwich while representing the duality in Heather's situation, but to me isn't as ostentatious or as silly as the Homecoming bosses. Sepulcher, though, was alright to me—sans meat sacs.

(and I hope I didn't come off as insensitive! I just tend to disagree!)

But anyway, the mechanics of the boss fights in Homecoming were essentially the same as its predecessors; find a tactic that works, lather, rinse, repeat...it was just a little more fancy. You could always get creative and change up the weapon scheme or something but really the battles themselves were nothing unique.

I still like the idea of a boss-like monster's occurrence not being set in stone. Given that there's a good amount of replay value in most of the games, it's nice if you're not able to anticipate everything.

I also like what AuraTwilight pointed out.

Also, also! I was just reminded of Blind the Thief from A Link to the Past. While the battle (smashfest) isn't anything new, I like the idea of

seeing the dark side of somebody who was seemingly innocuous; I guess in a way it's similar to the battle with Eddie, but...we sort of see him deteriorate over time.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I'd love to see bosses that symbolize SOMETHING. As long as it's not meaningless (the Wall Man boss in SH4 was completely random), I'm fine with it.

As for the mechanics... I wouldn't quiiite mind some bosses appearing some playthroughs and not other times, but what I would like more is stuff that deals with the environment. Like, what I was really hoping for in Shattered Memories is boss fights that you can't physically attack the boss, but you need to figure out ways to damage it using the environment, whether it be throwing stuff onto it, making it run into things, or other ways.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Random boss fights are the best, they just need symbolism and need a good strategy. I don't want "shoot at a certain area", I really liked Sepulcher-that was one of the best bosses, the whole "meat sack" strategy. I mean, even SH1 didn't have good bosses.

Random boss fights can actually surprise and scare the player, unlike boss fights you can anticipate and say "my God, I knew that was coming. Now I'm READY." That's what was so great about the Wall Man, it had symbolism (it did, read into it more), it was random, and it had a great and unique strategy :)
pistukas
Just Passing Through

Post by pistukas »

simeonalo wrote: Random boss fights can actually surprise and scare the player)\
I know it actually was not random though I thought so at first but everytime I met Nemesis in RE3 I was shitting my pants and thinking "non, no.... God no...." because everytime I met him I was so unprepared. So yeah, I also think that random boss would be scary. If used correctly, of course.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Exactly. Using wide ranges of location, from one door/store to the next street could add to the tension. What was so scary about Nemesis? HE COULD FOLLOW YOU EVERYWHERE. No matter where you ran.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I love how everyone's saying that bosses from various games have "no symbolism" or "are random" because they don't see any symbolism, even though symbolism has always been vague as fuck, and every boss to date has been pretty heavily symbolic.