How would you guys feel about co-op?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Diabolic Dreams
Just Passing Through

Post by Diabolic Dreams »

NOOOOO! Silent Hill has always been a solitary game. The isolation from other people and contacts is what made the games great. Multiplayer would severly hinder that experience.
The best of nothing left...
Faded-Myth
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Faded-Myth »

The idea is certainly interesting, though Im in the "no" category.

That said, if it did exist, the possible gameplay mechanics would be interesting if it wasnt action oriented. One player holds the radio and flashlight, the other has the gun. Both handcuffed and forced to cooperate, so only one hand free each. The other lights the area while you rummage in drawers and pick locks.

Then the radio crackles and you comically run in opposite directions. Lol.

Im just musing on the idea though. Im happy without it.
[url=http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page][img]http://www.box.net/shared/static/gzp1irrtr0.png[/img][/url]

[quote]I feel sorry for Henry. Here we have, this good-looking, even-mannered, sharp-dressed young single man, but who gets the fangirls wet? The weirdo serial killer with a soul-crushing Oedipal Complex and bad hygiene, or the dickhead priest with greasy hair and nasty teeth. - Alone in the town[/quote]
Daisukenojo
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Daisukenojo »

Skele wrote: i guess in game the characters would keep in touch by way of walkie talkies (by mic online), but communicating could also alert Monsters of your whereabouts. you're trying to tiptoe past some nurses, and then your friend tries to contact you, alerting monsters, that'd be pretty cool imo. but yeah, if it's like RE5, im not for it at all.
How would they know if you're in an Xbox live party?...
[quote="Catch22"]Wait, wasn't the guy in the trailer wearing a shirt? You know who else wore a shirt? Hitler.

Hitler confirmed as SH6 protagonist.[/quote]
aj4x94
Historical Society Historian

Post by aj4x94 »

Fevered Dream wrote:I don't think it would work. Silent Hill is at it's best when you're isolated and alone from the rest of the world. Plus it would probably lose a lot of its potential scare value much like Resident Evil 5.
Couldn't have been said better. The isolation is one of the series' best points in my opinion, something Homecoming was lacking in. And after RE5 forced you to lug around a dumb bitch named Sheva so you could simply progress to the next room, I'm okay without co-op. Especially mandatory single player co-op.
pink_isnt_well000

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

Add another NO to the list. I just don't see it happening.
SHF

Post by SHF »

The game is already looking action oriented like homecomings, so it would be ok if co op was introduced..
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
Evilfox
Just Passing Through

Post by Evilfox »

I think coop would suck. Mainly because I like the feeling of solitude and isolation in the games.
"mmmm...that was awesome"
-Jasper Gein
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

helldescent wrote:The game is already looking action oriented like homecomings, so it would be ok if co op was introduced..
What looks action-oriented about it?
sorata
Gravedigger

Post by sorata »

helldescent wrote:The game is already looking action oriented like homecomings, so it would be ok if co op was introduced..
Without any gameplay you can already tell that the game is action oriented?
Subsistence
Just Passing Through

Post by Subsistence »

I didn't read much of the replies so forgive me if I'm off topic but NO.

Co-op through the years has just become a tool for video game developers to stem the tide of the mainstream audience who, in most cases, are xbox live players who want touch a game if there is no online component.

You saw what happened to Fable II, right?

So no, bad idea, sounds like a sell out. And besides, the whole purpose of Silent Hill is to see madness from the eyes of a single beholder, not two. Thank about it :)
"What the hell is this? >:| "

- Henry Townsend
SHF

Post by SHF »

sorata wrote:
in the trailer i thought when he picks up the gun, it was gameplay.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
sorata
Gravedigger

Post by sorata »

^ all SH games has gun involved, simply picks up the gun can not be concluded to be"looking action oriented". Even with a trailer with Murphy hitting and killing things can not conclude that. Of course how "action oriented" is slightly a relative term as everyone's version of action oriented is different, but to make it "oriented" we have to at least know how much percentage there is involving battle and what kind of control when we fight.
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

helldescent wrote:
sorata wrote:
Wow he picked up a gun, sorry I missed the part where it suddenly turned into RE4 directly afterward. Not like SH1 had a monster bust through a window right when you get a weapon, and it's not like Heather ever-yeah I'm so done with this.

That being said, one of the main draws SH has is the atmosphere, which would be instantly lost the instant you have a buddy with you. I'd really rather it just stay single player.

Side note-I'd like to understand what would be so wrong about the game having a bit more 'action' as long as it still had a good story/atmosphere. I'd rather just have the game control a bit more like Dead Space than the awkwardness that made up the original ones. The monsters never scared me in real gameplay, not even in SM.
Your weaboo is showing
CrypticIdentity
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by CrypticIdentity »

If there was a way that you could have co-op play and have the two players seeing different Silent Hills--subtle differences at first, and then maybe progressively more drastic--based on either their characters or the gameplay choices they make (a la Shattered Memories), that could SERIOUSLY screw with players, and could be awesome. But I can't even imagine how complex the programming would be for that--think of how much went into SM, and then having to have those changes happening simultaneously? Say, just using SM as an example, one person is seeing sexy Cybil, while the other is seeing hardass Cybil? They might not even realize that the other person isn't seeing the same thing unless they mention it. If it was split-screen, then it might be less problematic, but online, you'd have no way of knowing unless the other person said something like, "Wow, Michelle looks pretty trampy in that dress." Personality changes for NPCs would be impossible for continuity's sake.

Even if they were able to program all of it, it could end up failing horribly just because of the mechanics. So yeah, unless they have some genius who could figure out how to make it work, make it fun, and have a great story to work with it, I can't see co-op being a good move for the series.
Varg6
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Varg6 »

Falconv1.0 wrote:
helldescent wrote:
sorata wrote: Without any gameplay you can already tell that the game is action oriented?
Wow he picked up a gun, sorry I missed the part where it suddenly turned into RE4 directly afterward. Not like SH1 had a monster bust through a window right when you get a weapon, and it's not like Heather ever-yeah I'm so done with this.

That being said, one of the main draws SH has is the atmosphere, which would be instantly lost the instant you have a buddy with you. I'd really rather it just stay single player.

Side note-I'd like to understand what would be so wrong about the game having a bit more 'action' as long as it still had a good story/atmosphere. I'd rather just have the game control a bit more like Dead Space than the awkwardness that made up the original ones. The monsters never scared me in real gameplay, not even in SM.
I hear what you are saying but I also like the idea of being (almost) completely helpless. The idea of having someone else in Silent Hill, to me, would be an interesting dynamic if done correctly. I too enjoy the atmosphere of being alone but I think it'd be pretty cool if, for example, both characters need to enter a locked building, so one helps the other climb up a window. Then the character in the building must go off on his/her own to find a key while the other character is stranded on the streets of Silent Hill fending off enemies while also (if one is brave enough) finding extra ammo and first aid kits. Again, I never said it would be easy but considering that this game revolves around people in jail, it'd make sense if these characters could try to help one another. Maybe online co-op would have one character's Silent Hill look completely different than the other's but they both need one another to reach said destination(s). Just a thought.
Det Som Engang Var...
sh#1fan

Post by sh#1fan »

NO CO-OP :evil:

I don't care if theres multible characters each with there own story. That would be awsome, But adding co-op or online multiplayer is the worst idea ive ever herd.
oO?
Faded-Myth
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Faded-Myth »

sh#1fan wrote:But adding co-op or online multiplayer is the worst idea ive ever herd.
The return of Pyramid Head? A first-person shooter? Platform shoot-em up? Want me to keep going? I have more. ;)
[url=http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page][img]http://www.box.net/shared/static/gzp1irrtr0.png[/img][/url]

[quote]I feel sorry for Henry. Here we have, this good-looking, even-mannered, sharp-dressed young single man, but who gets the fangirls wet? The weirdo serial killer with a soul-crushing Oedipal Complex and bad hygiene, or the dickhead priest with greasy hair and nasty teeth. - Alone in the town[/quote]
Chrysaor
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Chrysaor »

This is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

It has already been noted that co-op play would absolutely kill any of the 'scare factor' present in Silent Hill games, but there is one major detail present in the series that co-op would completely ruin.

The 'otherworld' is, for all intents and purposes, completely unique to the main character, and reflective of their psyche and personal experiences. Having two characters view the world in exactly the same way would more than likely destroy any possibility of any profound symbolism being present in the game.

The depth of symbolism and metaphors found in Silent Hill games are the only reason that I like the series so much. If they include co-op in the next entry, I won't even pick it up and play it.

@Faded-Myth: I would prefer any of those options ten times over. In fact, I have a lot of really good ideas for making a Silent Hill game in first-person.
SilentEyesSilentWords
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentEyesSilentWords »

No.
aj4x94

Post by aj4x94 »

Can you please change the size of your avatar? It's against regulations, and taking up half of the screen!
You can take my heart
And hold it together as we fall apart
Maybe together we can make a mark in the stars we embark
And keep us together as the lights go dark