I think it would have been great if...

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

ginjajacob
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Re: I think it would have been great if...

Post by ginjajacob »

The SH Champion wrote:Downpour would have been good if.... it was an actual Silent Hill game.
Great comment, that made me laugh out loud. :lol:
The SH Champion
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The SH Champion »

^ Haha. I'm semi-serious about that comment though. In the other games (mainly the first four), you get that sort of feeling when you play the game. You want to stop playing because of what you have to go through, but you just want to the end. There is a feeling of hopelessness when you travel from place to place and still don't find what you are looking for. It is mysterious but you can find the answers to the stroy if you just look hard enough. It also lacks the end results (which I love! and Downpour didn't have!) that gives you another reason to play: secret weapons, endings, ot items. Also, I didn't like how weapons broke (and don't say to me, "well Champion, when your weapons break, it makes the game more realistic." That is wrong because this is a video game, not real life).
"The Fear of Blood tends to create fear for the flesh."
-Silent Hill
fudgestix

Post by fudgestix »

The SH Champion wrote:^ Haha. I'm semi-serious about that comment though. In the other games (mainly the first four), you get that sort of feeling when you play the game. You want to stop playing because of what you have to go through, but you just want to the end. There is a feeling of hopelessness when you travel from place to place and still don't find what you are looking for.
I actually got this feeling (at least the feeling I personally associate with Silent Hill games), while playing Downpour.

Game +1 bonus stuff is nice, but it doesn't really make/break a Silent Hill game - there are at least extra endings to aim for, and breakable weapons aren't new to the series, so like them or not I don't think you could say that something wasn't a Silent Hill game because of them.

To me Downpour managed to really capture what Silent Hill is (to me anyway), while letting go of a lot of things that the other recent titles tried to emulate and held them back.
THE RULES! [click me and learn]
"I think I'd prefer a sword over a penis anyday." - Wigeke
Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I personally believe Thomas Edison experimented with death as a child. Charlie as a murderer would've been interesting, I'll admit.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
ginjajacob
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by ginjajacob »

I completely agree. I went through silent hill 2 and 3 about a week ago, I really think they still up well today. One of the main reasons the earlier titles were great was because of what you didnt see, it tapped into deeply subconscious fears, isolation and as the game progressed you felt in was harder to return to where you started. The recent outings tend to put everything in your face it is a completely different style of horror, it also lacked alot of originality, I think downpour is the nearest a game has come to the original four but still way off in my estimation. To be honest, if a silent hill game comes out, I will always buy it on release date regardless of how good it is, because 50 green queens is a small price to pay for anything silent hill related in my opinion.

The SH Champion wrote:^ Haha. I'm semi-serious about that comment though. In the other games (mainly the first four), you get that sort of feeling when you play the game. You want to stop playing because of what you have to go through, but you just want to the end. There is a feeling of hopelessness when you travel from place to place and still don't find what you are looking for. It is mysterious but you can find the answers to the stroy if you just look hard enough. It also lacks the end results (which I love! and Downpour didn't have!) that gives you another reason to play: secret weapons, endings, ot items. Also, I didn't like how weapons broke (and don't say to me, "well Champion, when your weapons break, it makes the game more realistic." That is wrong because this is a video game, not real life).
Esperandote
Just Passing Through

Post by Esperandote »

I feel exactly the same way, ginjajacob! Downpour succeeded in a lot of areas that the last couple of non-team silent games failed in. Though, it didn't quite achieve the status of the original 4, it got damn closest to it. I think a lot of the horrific events were perfect Silent Hill material, but the enemies were the greatest flaw of the game, stylistically speaking.
SAIRENT HIRU no uta minna de utaou!
The SH Champion
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The SH Champion »

The most disappointing things for me were the enemies and no results at the end. There were way too few enemies.
"The Fear of Blood tends to create fear for the flesh."
-Silent Hill
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

The SH Champion wrote:^ Haha. I'm semi-serious about that comment though. In the other games (mainly the first four), you get that sort of feeling when you play the game. You want to stop playing because of what you have to go through, but you just want to the end. There is a feeling of hopelessness when you travel from place to place and still don't find what you are looking for. It is mysterious but you can find the answers to the stroy if you just look hard enough. It also lacks the end results (which I love! and Downpour didn't have!) that gives you another reason to play: secret weapons, endings, ot items. Also, I didn't like how weapons broke (and don't say to me, "well Champion, when your weapons break, it makes the game more realistic." That is wrong because this is a video game, not real life).
downpour has two unbreakable weapons that you can get by doing side quests

and also, there is a joke ending that will give you a trophy, so to me, that is already a hell of a reward
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

My weapons almost never broke. If a monster ever ambushed me while I was carrying a hook toward a ladder, that hook was pretty much guaranteed to get broken, which was annoying. All my other weapons lasted, though. 'Course it could be because I rarely bothered blocking; I just attacked until the bad monster stopped moving. I also replaced my weapons frequently since there are plenty of sturdy metal weapons scattered throughout the game.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

I tend to have mixed feelings about breakable weapons. They create a unique gameplay experience, and force the player to rely on multiple weapons, but it's often so unrealistic! I mean, you have a pickaxe, designed to break rocks and rated for thousands of uses, or a solid steel wrench, and what happens? You use it on monsters maybe twenty times, and it breaks. What's that all about?
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
Esperandote
Just Passing Through

Post by Esperandote »

The SH Champion wrote:The most disappointing things for me were the enemies and no results at the end. There were way too few enemies.
Ah yes, the no results screen really disappointed me, savagely, too. I was really looking forward to that. It's one of my favorite parts about the Silent Hill and Resident Evil series.
SAIRENT HIRU no uta minna de utaou!
LeriSuccubus
Just Passing Through

Post by LeriSuccubus »

I think Downpour would be great if they used the child abuse theme more. It was so heavy, you thought it wasn't about just Murphy's son, but Murphy himself. I actually thought that this was going to be the case, like when Murphy comes across the little boy who looks like his son (but looks more like Murphy in my opinion), and the Boogeyman kills him. I figured Murphy grew up in an orphanage and was abused after being adopted. I thought that the Wheelman was supposed to be the man who did it, too. I figured that Murphy was abused and his greatest fear was for it to happen to his son, and when it does, he goes ballistic and kills the guy (as what happens in the beginning of the game).

I was disappointed when I was good throughout the whole game (making the good decisions) and got the "Good" ending. Murphy ends up not attacking the guy, so this totally makes no sense why he's being punished by Silent Hill in the first place. It felt like a kick in the crotch for being the good guy.
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

LeriSuccubus wrote:I was disappointed when I was good throughout the whole game (making the good decisions) and got the "Good" ending. Murphy ends up not attacking the guy, so this totally makes no sense why he's being punished by Silent Hill in the first place. It felt like a kick in the crotch for being the good guy.
If I recall, the good ending doesn't actually say that he didn't attack Napier, just that he doesn't finish him off.
LeriSuccubus
Just Passing Through

Post by LeriSuccubus »

leftshoe18 wrote:
LeriSuccubus wrote:I was disappointed when I was good throughout the whole game (making the good decisions) and got the "Good" ending. Murphy ends up not attacking the guy, so this totally makes no sense why he's being punished by Silent Hill in the first place. It felt like a kick in the crotch for being the good guy.
If I recall, the good ending doesn't actually say that he didn't attack Napier, just that he doesn't finish him off.
No, he did kill Napier in the beginning, I'm talking about he didn't attack Coleridge. He didn't because when Coleridge came into the room, Murphy was confused and didn't go through with it, then Sewell stepped in.
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
RinoTheBouncer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by RinoTheBouncer »

Esperandote wrote:Yeah, Murphy's age would have been an issue if that was the twist. I think he's probably in his mid-30s.
Never an issue. They would've just changed Murphy's looks afterwards as a lot of people when they can't accept something, they invent a whole reality and imagining himself to be still in his late 20's, early 30's to make the story of his son's death more fitting.

It would be strikingly amazing to see him just morph into a 40s version of him!
Twitter: @RinoTheBouncer | www.rinothebouncer.com | Instagram: @RinoTheBouncer
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

RinoTheBouncer wrote:Never an issue. They would've just changed Murphy's looks afterwards as a lot of people when they can't accept something, they invent a whole reality and imagining himself to be still in his late 20's, early 30's to make the story of his son's death more fitting.
It would have been an issue because just pulling a twist like that out of thin air comes across as amateurish. They would need to foreshadow it and leave a breadcrumb trail in the parts leading up to it so subsequent playthroughs would give you that sense of "OH! That's what this was!"
This is easily addressable, of course, but taking the game in its current state doesn't really lend itself to the concept.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

That's the thing with twists I don't think a lot of people get. Twists are great, but to make them founded and respectable is something almost like magic at work. Sure, anyone can throw in a twist, even a believable one...but you can't just trick people. It's about showing your audience clues, giving them a chance to take legitimate stabs at it with evidence before them. It's not just a mindfuck moment out of the blue. I've always seen twists as good goals for a story, but also opportunities to challenge and hold an audience responsible for what the bring to the experience with their own thoughts, their own theories. This is what gives the twist substance and purpose. That's what I found Downpour did well with its twists, especially in an otherwordly, "Silent Hill" way.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

LeriSuccubus wrote:
leftshoe18 wrote:
No, he did kill Napier in the beginning, I'm talking about he didn't attack Coleridge. He didn't because when Coleridge came into the room, Murphy was confused and didn't go through with it, then Sewell stepped in.
Like or hate the guy, Tomm Hulett has stated that Murphy actually kills Napier in all the endings except for Ending A (the supposed "good" ending), and also addressed that Sewell suggesting that he had to finish Napier off was a mistake in Ending B. Which makes me wish that someone from the development team would release something to fix Sewell's dialogue in Ending B which is exactly the same as Ending A's.

Also, there has never been a written rule stating that you MUST be "punished" in order to end up in Silent Hill. Harry, Henry, and Heather, for example, never did anything that they would deserve punishment for, and even Travis to an extent (if you go by the good ending for Origins). I have never got why people think that you have to be guilty of something in order for Silent Hill to want to hurt you.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
If nothing else, Cunningham was the one doing the punishing for thinking that Murphy killed her father (and in some endings, he did).
AyaKara
Just Passing Through

Post by AyaKara »

Downpour is a great game, but it could've been even better if there was more symbolic representation beyond the game's levels. The monsters, we all know about. But, the fact that there aren't many things to discover or theorize on, like in past entries, holds it back.

There were things to discover in Shattered Memories regardless of it not having an open-world town; I feel that Downpour should've been able to accomplish this as well. However, I am very happy with how Downpour turned out & am excited to see how the next game will be.
Silent Fantasy
Historical Society Historian

Post by Silent Fantasy »

The game was too open for me, and due to this getting lost was always a hinderance to my enjoyment when in town. As for the results screen, why be dissapointed at that? If you really want to see how you did, look at your statistics. It's the same thing, but you can view it at any time.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.