Hard Difficulty - Will I Rage?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Xassis
Just Passing Through

Hard Difficulty - Will I Rage?

Post by Xassis »

Alright - here's where I'm at.

I played Silent Hill 2 - loved it, played on Normal/Normal and had a stupendously easy time with pretty much every boss/enemy. Started SH3 on Normal/Normal and got to save point in the mall that's on the broken T.V. and decided to replay on Easy/Normal - I wasn't necessarily having too tough a time, I just didn't like dodging Closers.

Got to Otherworld-Brookhaven, realized that SH3 is not scary worth a shit when I have 25 health drinks, 150 handgun bullets, 10 first aid kits and 5 ampoules.

Just started replaying on Hard/Normal - I'm still in the mall - and to make a long story short, the game is goddamn terrifying on Hard difficulty, given, I'm only about 20 minutes in. Will Hard/Normal difficulty make me cry, or is it not too bad?
Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Re: Hard Difficulty - Will I Rage?

Post by Kenji »

It's not too nasty.

Okay, let me qualify that: The only reason I don't say Hard is the best difficulty for SH2 is 'cuz of the first Pyramid Head fight. Getting touched instantly kills you (including upswings from behind) and you have to wail on him for what may actually be an hour before he finally wanders off (then there's the hallway bit in Brookhaven... hahaha!).

SH3, in comparison, has nothing so obnoxious. It's hard, yeah, but it's not stupid-hard.

Though, I am somewhat of a difficulty junkie, so my perspective's necessarily skewed. Still, hope it's helpful.
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

SH3 in general is harder on hard than SH2 I think.

I find it can be a bit repetitive and tedious on hard at times but worth the challenge.

I find (just my opinion) that it doesn't up the creep factor by making it hard it just makes it more tense (which is still good).

The original Team Silent often intended the riddles to be the real challenge, something that the teams behind the more recent releases have failed to deliver on.

If you want a real challenge on SH2 or 3 I would recommend you put the riddle level on hard, get ready to loose some hair though as even the guide book or google can't help you because the solutions to a lot of the riddles on hard are randomly generated to keep it challenging for replays. (some of the riddles on hard are REALLY fucking hard)

They get incredibly vague and cryptic.

10 points if you know which bit this is from: To "right" the sins that they hath laid When thrice in falling they intone The Happiness shall be thy own. :evil:

haha, took me a while this one, I didn't have internet at the time.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Don't put the riddle level on hard unless you know what you're getting into. Especially for SH3, one puzzle requires you to know Shakespeare on hard!

SH2 is probably the easiest game in the series, and that is it's biggest flaw. It's definitely a much better experience on hard, even if a couple of boss fights become tedious. The boss fight with Pyramid Head isn't so much a problem as the corridor running event in the Hospital, that scene is a bitch on Hard. But still it's worth it because the rest of the game is way too easy.

SH3 is much better designed gameplay-wise, you can actually play on normal and still get a good experience. But if you're game for it, by all means give hard a try. However, I must warn you... the final boss in SH3 is kind of a nightmare on hard mode. Whatever you do, make sure you save some good ammo and a bunch of health packs for this boss, because if you are running low then you may just get stuck.
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

Tillerman wrote:Don't put the riddle level on hard unless you know what you're getting into. Especially for SH3, one puzzle requires you to know Shakespeare on hard!
Yeah this was more than a tad aggravating as my knowledge is "Shaky" at best.

Acknowledgment of groan :roll:
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

Both SH2 and SH3 are fine on Hard mode, nothing too bad. The only issue with the difficulties are the boss fights who, for some reason, are given incredibly redicuously high health pools and fighting God on Hard mode will probably make you want to punch a wall. Even with a decent amount of ammunition the fight will likely take at least 10 minutes, at least for me it did.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

Both SH2 and SH3 are fine on Hard mode, nothing too bad. The only issue with the difficulties are the boss fights who, for some reason, are given incredibly redicuously high health pools and fighting God on Hard mode will probably make you want to punch a wall. Even with a decent amount of ammunition the fight will likely take at least 10 minutes, at least for me it did.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.