Most Annoying Part of The Game?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

Re: Most Annoying Part of The Game?

Post by Droo »

Jonipoon wrote: 18 Jul 2021 Sewer levels in the Silent Hill series are like water levels in 80s side scrollers - everybody hates them.
I actually really liked the water level in Donkey Kong Country. Primarily for the music though.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Burning Man
Historical Society Historian

Post by Burning Man »

There are several areas that can be annoying as hell when I'm playing for a fast run on Hard mode or above.
  • The sewer area leading to the hallway with the Wine bottle. This area usually has one large Numb Body and two small ones. This large Numb Body gets way too excited to knock Heather to the ground. If you happen to kill this one and retrieve the Wine bottle, another one just as aggressive will spawn when you exit the Wine bottle hallway.
  • First-half hallway of alternate Hilltop 4th floor. You know the one. There are like six slurpers in that narrow hallway. If you get so unlucky as to get knocked down by one of them, all the other ones will swarm towards Heather for a combo. Heather's health can go down to dangerous red in an instant.
  • Alternate Bookhaven first-floor C patient wing. This area can have up to three slurpers and one nurse. There are some ill-positioned props that block Heather from moving through. I have been surrounded by the slurpers in this wing before, which usually ends in game-over. Please let me just go and fight Leonard!
  • Alternate Brookhaven C1 room aka "Birthday Room." Depending on your score, this room can have up to three nurses. Can I just take my presents and leave, thank you very much?
  • Church hallway with two pendulums and one scraper. Not a problem if you can defeat the scraper quickly, but sometimes he decides to play champion and won't go down. And then the pendulums will come start poking at Heather. I have seen pendulums circle Heather like vultures as she lays on the floor.
But if I had to choose one part of game that's annoying above all else:
  • It's where you have to backtrack to Jack's Inn after leaving Brookhaven and then head to Nathan's Avenue. This is a really poorly designed level. I don't know what the team was thinking here.
Herr Shaun
Gravedigger

Post by Herr Shaun »

The most annoying part of the game is the pacing of the entire first half of the game. The whole stretch between the end of the shopping mall and Heather getting home is an absolute slog. It's just area after area of mundane garbage with zero significance to the plot, except for "shit's in my way". Not even meeting Vincent saves it.

That's not to say that every area of a Silent Hill game needs to be significant, but when you consider that the first half of the game is just random nooks and crannies of a mostly irrelevant town but spooky, it just ends up feeling like a chore to get through, every single playthrough.
You've got your good things, and I've got mine.