Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Revelation Not Being Screened For Critics

Post by teosoleil »

The new Facebook ad clearly cites a reviewer from FOX-TV. Around 0:24, if it's to be believed.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I have searched on Google and have been unable to find this review.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Mercedes
Just Passing Through

Post by Mercedes »

My opinions:

> I actually enjoyed both The Spirits Within, and Advent Children. I see the flaws in them, and I know there are much better films in general out there, but I still like em.
> Stephenie Meyer's The Host is still better than Twilight. Again, it has flaws and the main character is still a Mary Sue, but I'm a little anxious about the movie. I reckon they'll ruin it.
> Regarding SHR, I don't think I'm as excited as I was when I first learned about a new SH film. I think the fact that Vincent is a love interest, and the teaser video with the nurses playing musical statues, seemed a little ridiculous. I don't know.
Personally, I'm going to see it anyway. I won't have much to lose, and if I end up loving it, then I'll love it. If not, well, then I won't. Although it does make me wonder how good the film actually is, if no critics are going to screen it. Someone mentioned it has a 'what are you trying to hide' kind of feel, but then as someone else pointed out, a lot of horror movies aren't screened by critics.
I guess at this point, we're just going to have to go to the cinemas ourselves and not expect a thing, so that we're nice and surprised when we leave the theaters. ...hopefully.
Forget it. This is way too gross. Who would even think of doing something so disgusting?
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

Audience hype for is it very good!
HenryJones
Just Passing Through

Post by HenryJones »

teosoleil wrote:The new Facebook ad clearly cites a reviewer from FOX-TV. Around 0:24, if it's to be believed.
If you hear something from a radio or a non-specific TV thing (If it's a specific TV or radio program, you have a starting point to judge whether it's "reliable." If it's someone said something on FOX-TV, not so much), odds are it's someone given compensation to say something nice about it (It doesn't have to be money. It can be star access, swag, some kind of VIP screening). It is NOT someone paid to give an actual opinion of the movie. There is an embargo on most movies that a review can't be released until the Thursday before it's out, but most movies with a decent amount of public interest get reviews posted a week beforehand. I'm guessing because those don't exist, the no screenings to critics exists (And wow, is that audience review on Rotten Tomatoes ever a studio plant).

As a person who used to be a film critic for a couple years (Nothing big. Just a job in college writing for a newspaper to get clippings while I got my Journalism degree. $10 a review with no ticket compensation for 400-600 words in the middle of a writing-intensive college curriculum isn't exactly a posh job), 95% of the time, no screenings for critics is bad news. There are exceptions and Silent Hill: Revelations may fall into one of them. They did stop screening Saw movies after some really bad reviews from the first one and that didn't stop the core audience from seeing it and liking it (It helped that that the main audience was abnormally large for an R-rated horror series). On the other hand, even Feardotcom was screened for critics, and that movie was a giant bag of stupid if the title hadn't already tipped you off. What I'm seeing is they're satisfied with getting the core audience's money and the "I need something to see for Halloween" crowd and not interested in expanding it. Whether it's because it's not going to get anyone else because it's not very good or it's not worth the effort because it won't get that extra audience even if it's good remains to be seen.

I thought the first movie was...... kinda' okay, I guess. In critic speak, that's 2.5 stars/4. I was with it until the last half hour when it became the Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode "Touch of Satan" ("Uh, go Packers, too, but mostly burn the witch!"). It had style and moments of suspense, but it had some problems sustaining it. If dark Silent Hill has a "time limit," it makes it less scary than if the main characters have to actually confront and defeat the monsters to get through it. The nurse scene is an exception. That was very well done. Also, the furnace motif may be scary to Kevin in Home Alone and thematically relevant for the movie, but it's less effective than the rusted-out industrial decay or bleeding walls of dark Silent Hill depicted in the games.
I see dead people. Then again, my dad IS a mortician....
branj70
Just Passing Through

Post by branj70 »

Two people posted comments on RT, and it SOUNDS like they did in fact attend the screening
an awesome video game remake featuring some disturbing scenes and the most creative monsters ive ever seen. this is sure to get terrible reviews but god ill be damned to say i didnt have a blast. great 3D!!!!!!!!!!
Saw it for free and even got popcorn & a soda only thing worth seeing was the nurses. Also, why was Malcolm McDowell wasted in this movie? Did he loss a bet? Own a favor? needed the money?
So as I had figured, this is absolutely going to be a hit or miss type of deal. Either way, if it sucks or it's amazing, I'm paying my share to support this series. I think that's what a 'real' fan is.
CrypticIdentity wrote:With the rust and all I can't imagine any of the plumbing in either world is great. OF COURSE, THAT'S WHAT VALTIEL'S BEEN TRYING TO DO THIS WHOLE TIME, with all his valve-turning--TURN ON THE SHOWER. He probably smells rank as hell.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Horror movies are always hit and miss, you gotta remember that. Critics HATE the things, many of the best horror films of all time were slated by critics at first, and while they like to act like things have changed, they haven't.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

The small amount of current reviews for it on RT has pretty much panned it, though the audience rating is still high. I'm betting this will be a film that divides critics from general audiences. It also sounds like as one put it, that fans of the first film and the games are the only ones who will like it. Who knows? I won't be seeing this for awhile, so I'll be bailing out of the forum for the next few weeks. Have fun guys.
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

DistantJ wrote:Critics HATE the things, many of the best horror films of all time were slated by critics at first, and while they like to act like things have changed, they haven't.
I really don't think it has to do with critics at all. If it's a bad movie, then it will (probably) have bad reviews by "professional" movie-raters in general. It has to do with story and pacing, acting, etc. Not the genre itself.

That being said, SH:R is already lackluster in those three departments and much more. It truly deserves the 8% it currently has on Rotten Tomatoes, in my opinion.

Jacob's Ladder has 70% on RT. Session 9 had a pretty okay score on RT (69%). Those are pretty well-received scores. If it can be counted, Black Swan also has a very good score on the site. There are other examples of psychological horror films doing well in reception upon release.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Jacob's Ladder and Session 9 again... Other than us who actually remembers those movies? And both of those are very slow in comparison to anything SH related, and didn't do well with the public. When I want that kind of a film I'll go and watch one, a David Lynch film for example. We act like these games somehow live up to those films and they don't. They're good by video game standards but they really don't make for great movies.

BTW personally I loved Jacob's Ladder (apart from how slow it could be) but I always found Session 9 to be quite boring until the end. For me, the best Silent Hill-like film is INLAND EMPIRE.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

^I know what you mean. Jacob's Ladder and Session 9 are at best tangentially similar to SH. Yeah, JL inspired some of the games' imagery, but that's about it.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

And I mean, for every Angela moment or James' realising the truth moment, you have a moment like James shooting Eddie 15 times and then asking him if he's alright, Heather taking time out to pick up a walnut and wandering around looking for something to crack it with, "YOU SHUT YOUR STINKIN' MOUTH, BITCH!"(I love that line, freaking love it, but it's not exactly high brow now is it?) lightbulbs in tin cans, "BOO I GOT A KNIFE not really I'm fine LOL!" jokes, Cops giving guns to strangers, and... Henry... just Henry...

For all I know I might hate it as much as some others on here did, but I'm just defending against the notion that it's 'ruining the franchise' and that it's some kind of crime to present Silent Hill as anything other than depressing obscure Lynchian surrealist drama.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

DistantJ wrote:And I mean, for every Angela moment or James' realising the truth moment, you have a moment like James shooting Eddie 15 times and then asking him if he's alright, Heather taking time out to pick up a walnut and wandering around looking for something to crack it with, "YOU SHUT YOUR STINKIN' MOUTH, BITCH!"(I love that line, freaking love it, but it's not exactly high brow now is it?) lightbulbs in tin cans, "BOO I GOT A KNIFE not really I'm fine LOL!" jokes, Cops giving guns to strangers, and... Henry... just Henry...

For all I know I might hate it as much as some others on here did, but I'm just defending against the notion that it's 'ruining the franchise' and that it's some kind of crime to present Silent Hill as anything other than depressing obscure Lynchian surrealist drama.
I definitely agree with this, though. The games are fantastic, and they stand out in the video game world, but many, many things they do just won't fly in cinema. Not only that, but their scripts, quite frankly, are not the best.

Plus, there are films on RottenTomatoes that are still fun and enjoyable, and there can be a difference between a "good" film and an "enjoyable" one.
Garmonbozey
Just Passing Through

Post by Garmonbozey »

DistantJ wrote: For me, the best Silent Hill-like film is INLAND EMPIRE.
Totally agreed.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Garmonbozey wrote:
DistantJ wrote: For me, the best Silent Hill-like film is INLAND EMPIRE.
Totally agreed.
Man, you and me are gonna get along :P

I'd post up a picture of the Phanrtom Laura Dern face but I worry I'd traumatize everybody else in here!
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I haven't seen Inland Empire, so my favorite Silent Hill-ish movie is Deathwatch. It's probably a tie with Jacob's Ladder, though.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

You should get watching Inland Empire, just remember, if you think you understand Inland Empire, you don't understand Inland Empire. The film is about a curse which sends a character into a Silent Hill-like world, but time and identity is distorted along with everything else, so things become a whole new level of fucked up. A lot of people gave up on it because they couldn't make sense out of it, but the whole point is that it's a spiral of nonsense before the curse can be lifted. Absolutely terrifying though, and truly amazing.

To save this going any further off topic, I'm going to open a topic (or find an existing one) about SH-like films and link to it...