I Saw It! Post Your Reviews Here! (Mark your spoilers, too!)

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

Did You Enjoy It?

Yes
23%
It Had It's Good and Bad Points
35%
No
42%

Total votes: 144

Chuckles
Hope House Careworker

Re: I Saw It! Post Your Reviews Here!

Post by Chuckles »

Rating: 1/10

In a word, this movie is: terrible. I waited a few days to submit my review, as I wanted to mull over every facet, and hold off being critical in the midst of my vexation. Anyway, Thursday night I assembled a group of my friends to join me for, what was supposed to be, a "ghastly" night. In retrospect, I was very much accurate with that definition, just not the context I referred to it in.

The narrative, coupled with atrocious writing and fast-paced direction, is a complete mess. The commendable melancholic ambiance captured in the Gan's film is nonexistent. Every scene seemed like someone was trying to describe or chronicle the events in the original story from memory; the cinematic equivalent of bad paraphrasing. All the supposed "nods" to the fans were blatantly in your face(e.g. the jacket), rather than subtle in nature.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Furthermore, It appears the events that transpired near the end of the first film never occurred, as The Order is still alive and more tenacious then ever.
All the characters from the game are here, including: Douglas Cartland, Claudia Wolf, Vincent Smith, and Harry Mason(Chris and Sharon change their identities, to avoid The Order).
Douglas serves as a stock character and assumes no fatherly or protective role over Heather, accordingly, he's killed-off early in the story.
Claudia is simply not menacing enough, and resembles Princess Nuala from Hell Boy II. Vincent is served as a love interest for Heather, and delivers cringeworthy dialogue,
and Harry is utilized as the objective of the protagonist.
The only slightly redeeming character is Heather, and she's caught somewhere in between being a Mary Sue and a plain Jane. Every action of the characters seem contrived and disconnected, and only serve to push the plot forward.

The monsters are few and far between, and serve no emotional connection or pertinent relevance to Heather. Pyramid Head, as HuMaNoId X pointed out, is essentially a Pokemon, but I would go further and say: a Pokemon on the 300 Spartan workout.

The CGI and special effects are very poor in quality, but used moderately; on the other hand, the mise-en-scene and set design provide a satisfying counterbalance.

This film is loaded with cliches and Hollywood themes, and has perverted the semblance and seclusiveness of SH's psychological and Argento-esque style of horror. I waited patiently for the film to redeem itself, and exited the theater frustrated and extremely critical. I was reminded of the very first time I was exposed to SH and how it made me feel. The quality of this film is a figurative slap to the face of that young boy.

Mod edit: Slight edit made to remove an unmarked spoiler that couldn't be spoiled tagged without giving it away.

-Droo

Are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it?

[img]http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2219/noname7mx.png[/img]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Yes, I meant a plothole between movies, so retcon would have been the better word.
LuLu
Gravedigger

Post by LuLu »

phantomess wrote:
I thought it was kind of ridiculous for Harry/Christopher/dude to be like "I'm going back into the otherworld forever! Byez!" and for Heather and Vincent to frolic off into the sunset together. And Harry was all, "Boy I just met, take care of my daughter plz!"
LOL, yeahhhh, when Harry said that I told my friend who was with me that I would have punched him in the face. Heather goes through all of that to rescue her dad, and he's just like "Kthxbai!" in the end. I was like... what? :|
"It's a bit far... but closer than heaven!"
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

This movie can be summed up by three things:
- Poptart jump scare
- Random red show sitting in motel room IT'S A NOD TO THE GAMES GUYS TOTALLY GOOD ADAPTATION
-
Pyramid Head vs Claudia Monster. Round 1. FIGHT.
0uiled
Just Passing Through

Post by 0uiled »

I just watched it today and I can say I enjoyed it and it was okay.
It had both good and bad parts but for me it was mostly good.
My only problem was that my vision wasn't good at some part with the 3d glass reflecting the theatre's aisle lights.
Last edited by 0uiled on 28 Oct 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Silent Hill is like a living thing and the fans are it's blood.
Silent Hill will lose blood time to time but it won't die that easily.
It can still make new blood.
Patchwork_Heaven
Just Passing Through

Post by Patchwork_Heaven »

Most people have probably already seen it by now, but I caught the 10:45 showing last night. I'll start with the good:

The Mannequin Spider was my favorite part. He was amazing. I know I shouldn't go into detail, so I'll just say one of the things he does was very creepy, and I loved it. The scene with the nurses, which we saw part of in the early preview videos, was perfect as well. The 3D was fantastic in both parts.

The part with Leonard was ok; I felt like there should've been a lot more, but what there was, was interesting enough. The Pyramid Head scenes were ok as well; didn't bug me. The climax of the film, while it felt very quick, I enjoyed. My girlfriend, who isn't really into the SH games, said she liked that part a lot. The beginning otherworld scenes were an interesting 'non-monster' series of nightmarish imagery, though the excessive gore moments I did not approve of.

Now on to the bad: ANY time ANYBODY talked for too long, it instantly revealed how incredly horrifyingly bad the dialogue was. The dialogue in the first film was at least bearable; this was like knives in my ears. And what's with these characters who die in 5 seconds? If you're going to do that, Bassett, at least give them a 'cool' death scene, don't just have them get dragged off screen with screaming noises and Heather just shrugs: "oops, oh well. Poor them." Carrie Ann-Moss, who played Claudia, while her acting was decent, was hardly in the film at all. She played a lot larger part in the games, and I thought Bassett should've understood her importance.

And all of those little moments where he includes something that only ones who've played the games would understand were pretty lame, I must admit.

Uh, let's see... the story was terrible as well. It made sense, but still. And the 'brain monster and lying figure parts' just made me angry.

Overall, I'll give it a (barely) 5/10, just because the 3D was amazing, and most of the monsters were very cool and I'm a sucker for anything Silent Hill.
Last edited by Patchwork_Heaven on 28 Oct 2012, edited 2 times in total.
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

All these pacing issues and the short run time of 93 minutes makes me wonder, was the film cut down a whole lot? I also noticed that some screenshots were never in the film (like Heather meeting Rose in the Otherworld). If I didn't know better, I'd say more than one scene was cut out of the final product :|
Silent Fantasy
Historical Society Historian

Post by Silent Fantasy »

The movie did seem rather rushed and a bit disjointed. It is possible there was alot of cutting going on in the editing room, but I kind of doubt it.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

Well one of the first images we got of the movie was Heather seeing Rose in an elevator or something, right? That never happened, so there was obviously some stuff cut.

Edit: Oh, that was just mentioned. Duh.

But yeah, I'm sure there was cut stuff. But I doubt it would have made it all that much better.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

I'm just talking about an excessive amount being cut. There is always atleast a few scenes cut from any movie.
Though one thing that cut seems to suggests is that the movie may have been going in a slightly different direction at one point, till it turned into what we have now.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
demon child 7
Just Passing Through

Post by demon child 7 »

So I saw the movie today I would give it a 9/10 this mostly because I rarely ever give anything a 10. Out of fear of saying too much the rest will be a spoiler.
So the movie starts out and introduces you to Heather. Her and her father Harry move around a lot. It seems he once killed an order member trying to protect Alessa/Heather. She starts at a new school and meets Vincent I didn't know if he was really the Vincent from the game but I guess he was supposed to be. Anyway shortly into the story you find out how Heather came into the real world after being in the alternate world of Silent Hill. I thought this was very well done and used mirrors to bridge the gap between (Nightmare world and normal world, these terms may be used a lot as I picked them up during my experience with the very first Silent Hill game.)

Shortly after the movie starts Heather has a dream this dream included a glimpse of Lakeside Amusement Park and the dark version of Heather. I think this was the final fight in the game. She awakes and her dad comforts her but then he is grabbed by something like a mannequin and killed but that also is a dream. Wow really great visuals there. Also liked the dreaming element as this seemed to be really present in the first game. So Harry gets grabbed taken to Silent Hill and Heather goes to save him.

She has Vincent take her to Silent Hill, while there we see Nightmare and Normal world versions of Silent Hill both are well done the aesthetic of Silent Hill plays heavily throughout, could there have been more worked in? I suppose so but I felt nothing was lacking. While in the town she is confronted by a Mannequin Spider I forget if this was in the game but if nothing else this will remind you of Scarlet from Homecoming. I thought the visuals with the spider were amazing. She also meets up with a deformed humanoid thing that tries to kill her but she shoots it and good-bye menace. Another cool scene for sure.

Then she meets Leonard he was a human for a while albeit a strange and creepy one at that. He changes and some interesting stuff with the seal of Metatron happens. Shortly thereafter she finds her dad in the middle of a sacrificial room. Claudia turns into a Missionary type monster and Pyramid Head comes to the rescue.

Upon further inspection of the story at least from the movie perspective the whole of the Nightmare world is a servant to Alessa it is her Nightmare that she brings upon her enemies. So Pyramid Head really does belong to Heather as Guardian and Executioner as the movie says. So for me the whole thing held up quite well. If you are acquainted with the games and love the visuals and the story of the games this is really not that far off. I felt there was much that was good in the movie and I am hard pressed to find anything that stood out as bad. The acting might not have been the greatest but only once did it seem sub-par and that was not with any of the main characters.

Biggest complaint would have to be Vincent but even he worked out okay. In the end Harry survives and wants to track down Rose. This is a cool idea and definitely not what we saw in the game. But I think the movie is weaving it's own mythology that is much more closely tied to the games than what we see in any of the Resident Evil movies. So if you are a fan of the games go see this movie now. Don't go in expecting to see the game but something like it, similar would be a good word. I think there is much to enjoy visually and with the story too. Also at the end we see references to both Origins and Downpour which I thought a very cool nod to the ongoing series.

Say hello to Travis and Murphy for me.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I just saw it today. Although I mostly enjoyed it, I had go with the middle option because a few things bugged me.

I mostly liked the acting. Adelaide did fine as Heather, and Sean Bean was alright while he was in it. Kit Harrington didn't necessarily give a bad performance, he just got saddled with awkward exposition and meh dialogue for most of it. Malcolm McDowell had the same problem, but he only had one scene and managed to mostly pull off the dialogue. He's awesome, what can I say? Carrie-Anne Moss was good as Claudia, but I wished we could have seen more of her. Martin Donovan's Douglas isn't around long enough for me to really feel much about his performance, and most of his dialogue is, once again, awkward exposition. Oh, and Radha Mitchell? Way to fucking phone in a performance.

The effects were okay for the most part. The CGI was iffy in places, but the makeup effects on the creatures were pretty well done.

I was fine with most of the monsters, I just wished their scenes had been longer.
I love the look of the spiderquin and most of the scene surrounding it, but Suki was pointless and the way the scene ended was a Paul W.S. Anderson style anti-climax. I feel that it would have been more effective if it had been longer and just been Heather being stalked all by her lonesome. Also, I loved the look of the Leonardster, but he didn't stick around long enough. The same goes for most of the monster scenes. They would have been better if they had been treated a bit more like set pieces in their own right. The only one that got extended screen time apart from the Nurses and PH was the Missionary, and that didn't really make a lot of sense given what happens at the end.
The set design was pretty good, but I would have liked to have seen more of the foggy SH. I'm also not entirely sure why the outdoor Otherworld looked like something out of Escape From New York.

Now for plot, pacing, and characters. The overall idea of the plot isn't necessarily a bad idea. Introducing the Order into the movieverse could work, but the actual explanation for it is very, very murky.
At times, it seemed like The Order of Valtiel was being equated to the Brethren from the first film, which doesn't really make sense, but then at other times it seems as though the Order was simply pulling the Brethren's strings from behind the scenes. Also, their motivations were unclear. At one point they go on about how Alessa needs to be destroyed to lift the darkness, but Claudia claims they're going to birth Valtiel from Heather or something like that. She also seems to think that she needs the Seal to accomplish, but why or how she thinks that is never explained.
The pacing is probably the biggest problem with the movie for me. If it had been given 15-20 more minutes to clarify what the hell all the characters/organizations/giant fuck off spiders want or are talking about, the movie would flow much better as a result.

I didn't care for a couple of the plot points. The cops chasing after Heather literally disappear after three minutes total screen time, and add fuck all to the proceedings. Likewise, Rose has only a brief, phoned in cameo before disappearing from the movie. I get the impression from this that scenes were cut.
I very much liked the idea of what Bassett was doing with Vincent, but the reveal of his affiliation with The Order happened way too early on. It should have been saved for later, after more potential bonding between him and Heather.
There are things I just don't get about Claudia. Okay, so the magical plot device transforms her into the Missionary... a monster who has showed up twice before. Unless that's how the Otherworld fucks with all of the cult members, or she has powers of her own, this doesn't make much sense. Also, she's Christabella's sister. Really, Bassett? I respect you and your work, but that was just wtf-ery of the highest form.
Heather, my favorite character from any SH game, however, is handled well here. Adelaide plays her nearly perfectly, and I loved how her and Bassett brought out the vulnerability of her character a bit and toned down her snarkiness. It makes her feel more like a real person to me.

The dialogue ranged from okay to really awkward. I wouldn't have minded this so much if it weren't for the exposition I've already mentioned. it was really, really clunky and confusing. Between this and some of the plot's murkiness, the script could have done with a rewrite or three to smooth things out.

Now, the ending/climax...
While I enjoyed the fight scene between PH and the Claudissionary, it seemed rather small-scale and anticlimactic. I would have preferred if Heather had somehow used the Seal to make Valtiel birth out of Claudia, and then had PH fight that instead.
Overall, it's a heavily flawed film that I enjoyed immensely in spite of its problems. It may not be a "good" film necessarily, but no way is it 8% on the Tomamtometer bad.
HenryJones
Just Passing Through

Post by HenryJones »

My reaction is pretty much like the first one: A passable if unexceptional movie until the last 10-15 minutes goes into, "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!" mode. There are some moments though it has its problems sustaining tension and suspense, and the dialogue is clunky and exposition driven as all hell. But it's acceptable..... until the last 15 minutes....
So........ Heather hugs it out with Alessa. Really, now. That's their solution. I'm surprised Silent Hill didn't get circled by unicorns and the burned coal changed to gumdrops at that moment. That's not even the worst part. The final confrontation and the good Heather is defended by.... PYRAMID HEAD! Everyone's favorite rape-ey guy is now the defender of truth and justice! Now, I am not a person who cries about Pyramid Head being used in everything because it's established that they were executioner outfits, so it can be possible to use him outside of 2...... but not like this. It's clear PH lives in VERY dark grays, and this turning up to be the hero bullshit does not work. It's silly and....... rather offensive, really. It's like Jerry Sandusky rising up to aid the Avengers or something. It's stupid, plain and simple.
I see dead people. Then again, my dad IS a mortician....
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

The first Silent Hill film was heavily flawed, but I couldn't help but like it anyway. The first half was (with a few exceptions) very well done, though things started to come apart very quickly once Rose arrived at the church. It was clear while watching the film that Gans was very passionate about the franchise, although I don't think he "got" it as much as he seemed to think. The film was nothing if not ambitious, and was the first video game adaptation to take its source material seriously.

Revelations is nothing like that. Instead, Bassett has taken Silent Hill 3 and turned it into an unintentionally campy B-movie. Below are my spoiler-filled impressions:
I was a few minutes late getting to the theater, so I don't know if I missed anything in the beginning (I arrived just as Christopher gave Heather her vest).

Anyway, the film was all over the place. Some of the scenes were fairly well-done, but there were an equal number of scenes that made me think Uwe Boll secretly directed it. The first monster scene, with the lying figure in the school, was actually pretty creepy. This was mainly due to that noise it was making, but the scene was effective regardless. Unfortunately, the rest of Heather's "waking nightmare" scenes were terrible. The mall lobby is the worst offender by far. The cheesy cannibal kids, the clown, the security guard with asscheeks for a face... it couldn't have ended soon enough. I did appreciate the hallway with the giant shadow of the oscillating fan, though.

The monsters were almost universally terrible, with one exception: the spider mannequin. When I first saw it in the trailers I thought it looked horrible, but I'll be damned if it actually wasn't pretty cool. It's method of dispatching people was creative, and it actually had some symbolism behind it! It's a shame it got so little screen time, because it was arguably the best part of the movie.

The rest of the monsters fall into one of two categories: ripped from the first movie, and just plain terrible. Regarding the former, in addition to the lying figure I already mentioned we got another throwaway nurse scene and a complete mishandling of Pyramid Head. The nurses didn't come off as extras from the "Thriller" video like last time, but instead they just moaned like bored porn stars while slicing away at the two dumbest Order members to ever exist. The scene was pointless and the time could've been used better just about anywhere else. Pyramid Head's role has already been well-covered in this thread, so let me just say that I thought it was an interesting idea that was terribly executed. Oh, I forgot about Leonard. Apparently he was hitting the gym, because he was fucking ripped. And also a dumbass, since Heather reached inside him and yanked out the macguffin without him noticing.

So that brings us to the new monsters. Technically the Missionary wasn't new, but since they decided to completely fuck it up I'm counting it as new. So yeah, Claudia is a Missionary is a Cenobite. I'm not sure whose idea it was, but that person should be banned from doing anything ever. The "lobotomy monster" that Adelaide was so terrified by was just a tall pale dude with a hole for a face. Spooky and highly original! Thanks guys! Well at least the spider mannequin was cool.

So what else... Well, the dialog and acting were terrible all-around. When your cast is as talented as this one and they put in poor performances, blame falls on the director. Even the always-solid Sean Bean seemed bored. Douglas came off as a sex offender, Carrie Anne Moss looked ridiculous (and was in for like three minutes)... they were all terrible. And that dialog. "Fuck Facebook"? That's the kind of shit they came up with? I refuse to believe that the people who wrote this shit ever worked on a movie before. Early in the movie there's a scene where the camera pans over to a dumpster that says "Garbage" really big. I assume that's where the film's script was stored.

Finally, there's the climax. Oh lord what a clusterfuck. Pyramid Head playing with a Jack-in-the-box, Heather and a ridiculous looking goth Alessa hugging each other to death, and to top it all off: Pyramid Head vs the Cenobyte in a wrestling cage match. Speaking of which, I was seriously half-expecting/dreading Claudia to cut Pyramid Head's helmet off. Thank god they didn't go down that road.
So to make a long story short, I wasn't happy with the film. That's not to say I wasn't entertained though. I was, but not for the reasons I wanted. Taken as a campy B-movie, the film is kinda enjoyable. I can see how somebody with no attachment to the series might like it. But as a Silent Hill anything, it's a disgrace. It's downright disrespectful to the source material and the franchise's fans, and I can only hope this isn't what ends up killing the series.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?
Siaye
Just Passing Through

Post by Siaye »

I just got back from seeing it. I freaking loved it!

About 20 minutes into the movie I was already getting scared.
Every time Heather entered a new room, I found myself thinking, "Fuck!" Felt like I was re-living the game. I got the feeling that Basett had made this movie mostly for the fans. It wasn't completely like the game, but I was surprised at how much of the games made it into the movie. I was genuinely impressed.

I read some reviews about the acting being bad. I guess I didn't notice. Yes, some of the dialogue was 'meh'. But they said everything that needed to be said. Even some of the cheesy one-liners. It was kinda hit-or-miss. Some of them I really liked. And a couple of them I really appreciated.

I read some reviews about the music being bad. I guess I didn't notice. I thought the score was very fitting and complimented the movie nicely. I guess I'm happy to see that Basett didn't just rip the OST's, but made them a little more unique.

I read some reviews about the crappy CGI. Considering how low the budget for the film was, I couldn't really complain. I was more than happy with the visuals.

So was there anything in the movie I didn't like?
Well......
Douglas died. Damnit! It came as a shock. I took that as a message that, "Yeah, this movie isn't going to be exactly like the game."

The part with Harry talking to Rose in the mirror was kinda needed for closure (I guess), but it seemed kinda forced.

The girl turning into a mannequin was lame.

It seemed like there was a going to be a new character, but she died. But that kinda reminded me of ol' whats-her-face from the old movie. The one who got her skin ripped off. Yeah, she was annoying. So I was happy this new chick didn't stick around long. Just enough to give a short, intriguing story of how she got there.

Vincent was either very horny or extremely gullible. He changed his entire thought process in a matter of.... what? Two days?

No explanation of how Heather defeated/absorbed/assimilated Alessa. What the hell just happened?

Claudia becomes a monster from touching the seal that she wanted to take anyways? WTF..........
..... Oh, but the ending totally made up for it. Yeah, It was awesome. Totally wasn't expecting that.

What I liked the most about this movie was that it was plenty scary, had easter eggs everywhere, and included many key components from the original game while taking the film in a different direction from the original movie.

Bottom line: I tip my hat to you, Mr. Bassett. You've made this fan very happy.
Feel free to make another Silent Hill movie any time.
Twitch_Moan
Just Passing Through

Post by Twitch_Moan »

I can't remember the last time I saw such a divide when it came to the quality of a movie.
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

Twitch_Moan wrote:I can't remember the last time I saw such a divide when it came to the quality of a movie.

The positive responses from some of the people here are honestly baffling to me. I mean I guess I'm glad that they enjoyed it, but if they like this then it makes me wonder what they don't like.

Maybe I just take Silent Hill too seriously. I dunno.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

KoRn_Child wrote:
Twitch_Moan wrote:I can't remember the last time I saw such a divide when it came to the quality of a movie.

The positive responses from some of the people here are honestly baffling to me. I mean I guess I'm glad that they enjoyed it, but if they like this then it makes me wonder what they don't like.

Maybe I just take Silent Hill too seriously. I dunno.
A lot of positive reviews I've read tend to completely ignore the lack of plot explanation and retcons, praising the story for adapting Silent Hill 3 well as a movie (which I think was done okay-ish), as well as being happy with the constant background allusions to the game. I found them annoying personally, it seemed like Bassett paid more attention to bombarding us with atmosphere-breaking easter eggs in every damn scene.

Seriously. Near the end, I was wishing there would be NO MORE EASTER EGGS at all because I couldn't focus on what the fuck was going on. It stopped being a novelty and started becoming an annoying pain in the ass.

But to each his/her own, I guess.
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

I give this movie a 6.5/10 and I'm going to sum up my review in a pro/con list. Gonna be spoiler tagged just to be safe.
PROS:
- The acting wasn't too bad. Yeah it was off at some parts but overall I think it was fine. I think Heather's actress stole the show. She reminded me a lot of Heather from the game in that she was bitchy/ but caring for the ones she loves, tough but vulnerable, determined, etc.
- The set pieces were as strong as the first movie. All the blood and the rust was there and the transitions between fog and otherworld were great, especially in the motel room when the walls turn fleshy and melt away. I liked how the Brookhaven map from the game was in the asylum.
- The mannequin monster was pretty cool and was kind of creepy when it pulled the head off the victim mannequin. It's overall design was easily the best of both movies.
- Dialogue was quite a bit bettter than the first movie. I defintely didn't cringe as much at it, but there were a few moments were I rolled my eyes. Everytime Rose said "my love" I just shook my head.
- Not a moment goes by without something happening which is good for holding attention. The first movie kind of suffered with a lot of "pointless running and searching" as others have said.

CONS:
- So many useless characters it was quite astonishing. Couldn't believe that Douglas was killed off so early and was basically just creepy detective guy with no purpose. Also, the police officers who seem like they're gonna have a role in the film and then we never hear from or see them again. Suki is there for like a whole minute before she gets dragged away (she didn't even have a cool death scene, I mean just imagine what the mannequimn monster could have done to her). Dahlia turns from a tragic hobo into less of a hobo but just sort of passive and cold with, again, no real meaning or purpose. Claudia has so little screne time it's just a crime. Christabella was so much a better villain because she wasn't just some pale chick who appeared from nowhere to try and rule ze world. Rose had a single scene in a mirror and that's it. We got so invested with her character in the first movie and for what?
- I mentioned how the mannequin monster was a pro, every other monster was a con. There were virtually no monsters from the game and the rest were either rehashed from the first movie or not-so-inspired new ones. I think Leonard was the worst as he basically turns into a Tyrant from Resident Evil. Also, the monsters really didn't have much purpose overall, which is weird because in the games the monsters are just as important as the characters.
- Very awkward pacing. Some scenes just come out of nowhere and there really isn't any smooth transition between moments. For example, the first scene with Claudia seems like it was just plopped in there haphazardly without any consideration. Much of the movie just happens too fast that there's no time for the audience to digest it which simply adds to the confusion.
- Too much explanation. Though I guess it can't really be helped. I mean, they have to fit so much into a 1.5 hour runtime. The games deliver a lot of the backstory and plot through notes and memos which can't be done in a movie, so instead the memos are turned into dialogue for the characters but it just appears awkward.
- The relationship between Vincent and Heather. Many people have pointed it out already but, yeah, Vincnt knows her for like a couple hours and falls head over heels for her. It really felt forced and unneccesary.
- There were a lot of questions left unanswered. Like what really happened with Rose after the first movie among others.
Anyway that's my short list. There are probably other things I liked/disliked but this sort of sums up my biggest points. To conclue I have to say that I do not regret seeing this and though it could have been quite a bit better, still managed to keep me entertained. I look forward to seeing it again when it comes out, hopefully with a director's cut as I feel MJB's vision may have been a little tarnished in the editing room. I don't know for sure, but it's just a hunch.

P.S. Did anyone stay for the bonus scene at the end of the credits? I actually wasn't expecting one but I asked my cousin if she wanted to stay just in case and wha-la. Though it wasn't really important, I at least got to watch the cool credit sequence and hear the new song featuring Mary.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

Fevered Dream wrote:P.S. Did anyone stay for the bonus scene at the end of the credits? I actually wasn't expecting one but I asked my cousin if she wanted to stay just in case and wha-la. Though it wasn't really important, I at least got to watch the cool credit sequence and hear the new song featuring Mary.
There might as well have not been a post-credit scene. It was so pointless.

The new Mary song was awesome though, yeah. It was like to Angels Thanatos what the BOM Love Psalm is to the SH2 Love Psalm. Although I didn't really catch many lyrics. I'll have to wait until it's more available to listen to it again.