I Saw It! Post Your Reviews Here! (Mark your spoilers, too!)

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

Did You Enjoy It?

Yes
23%
It Had It's Good and Bad Points
35%
No
42%

Total votes: 144

Rob Matter
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: I Saw It! Post Your Reviews Here! (Mark your spoilers, t

Post by Rob Matter »

Saw it yesterday.

The writing and plot are so terrible that it's a waste of having decent actors enlisted. And on the points where a Silent Hill film should stand out--atmosphere and creature design--it's pretty underwhelming.

Two thumbs down.
Restoration01
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Restoration01 »

Just watched it... Having mixed feelings about the movie. I liked the Travis cameo.

Personally, I think the Basset wanted to tie the loose ends for the first movie, so that it is more possible to have another movie.
Steel Pipe
Just Passing Through

Post by Steel Pipe »

I was watching the movie with a close friend and all I can remember is that about 20 minutes since it started I saw that monster Claudia later transformed to,and I remember saying to my friend : "I bet they'll make a fight scene at the end,where PH will cut off its head (call me fan service)"...An when that occured,I just made sure that the file was removed even from the recycle bin.Sucked a#%,horrible film,but I've learned that lesson long ago.Where there is 3d,something sh%^y is going on.
Every end does not appear together with its beginning.

~Herodotus~
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Steel Pipe wrote:I was watching the movie with a close friend and all I can remember is that about 20 minutes since it started I saw that monster Claudia later transformed to,and I remember saying to my friend : "I bet they'll make a fight scene at the end,where PH will cut off its head (call me fan service)"...An when that occured,I just made sure that the file was removed even from the recycle bin.Sucked a#%,horrible film,but I've learned that lesson long ago.Where there is 3d,something sh%^y is going on.
the movie was doomed when the director mjb announced something about a simpler plot with greater emphasis on 3d graphics.

and welcome aboard!
Steel Pipe
Just Passing Through

Post by Steel Pipe »

tbonesays wrote:
the movie was doomed when the director mjb announced something about a simpler plot with greater emphasis on 3d graphics.

and welcome aboard!
Thank you :)

I'm not in the mood of defending MJB,but I think Gans (imo) made an excellent work,setting the bar really high for a sequel.

Secondly,we heave the usual problem of western way of thinking colliding with japanese way of storytelling and allegory.In fact,this is the very detail which makes SH differ from every other horror movie/game/book I know (except FFC's Dracula).It's not about surviving through a horror set full of aggresive beings,it's about delivering a message to both protagonist/player.Anyway,it was a difficult "recipe" to begin with so who cares as long as the game series are rolling good...Oh wait...Duh!Forget it! :evil:

~Herodotus~
Enika
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Enika »

I saw the movie not too long after it came out. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm not a horror movie connoisseur, nor am I particularly picky when it comes to movies, so considering that a lot of people seem to not have liked it, that might have played into why I did, haha. Regardless, I thought the take that they had was interesting, and I enjoyed the imagery. I wasn't a big fan of the fight scene at the end, but I didn't really have any major complaints.
Freeston3r
Just Passing Through

Post by Freeston3r »

So 'Silent Hill Revelation' hasn't exactly been given the best reviews. And too an extent I agree with people. The story is a little messy, some acting is sh*t and what is with the random people that happened to take a wrong turn in the 'mannequin spider' scene? I mean where the hell did they come from? Also I feel Heathers farther really wasn't bothered about this film. Oh and Rose should of been in it a lot more.
However, even though I accidentally fell asleep for 10mins and caught the last 30mins. I still had a feeling of excitement about Silent Hill again, Even after a long time of not being bothered about it.
The effects are great and the atmosphere is just as disturbing as the last film. Loved the nurses, the spider mannequin, and of course pyramid head. ( I know hardcore fans are pissed that he was in it but I love this character. I would of been disappointed if he wasn't in it)
I've actually bought a blu ray copy as I rented it last time. So I'm hoping to catch what I missed.
The film really isn't perfect and I still don't know which film I like more, this or the first. But I'm a sucker for appreciating what's given to me. I mean its going to be ages before another film comes out. So make best of what's about.
I'm gonna watch it again and hopefully not fall asleep lol.
But 'Silent Hill Revelations' gets a 6.5 / 10 (on first watch)

Oh and Hi everyone! I just joined
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Well, the damn movie never arrived to my local cinema but I managed to watch it a couple of days ago; I think about this movie in the same way that I do with Silent Hill Homecoming: It is nice but it could be a lot better...

My biggest problem with SHR is how it tries to mix the plot of the movie with the plot of the games, it just doesn't work... The first movie is like Shattered Memories, just another reimagining of the original story.

In the first movie Alessa is just an unlucky girl whose only sin was to be born from a forbidden relationship, she was harassed, insulted, abused and finally raped because her mother never revealed the father's name... All this caused the rage of the girl to take control of her body (Although I always thought she just sold her soul to a demon) and this anger just increased until it covered the whole town. The fanatic fellowship continued seeing the girl as a witch and they just wanted to keep her away from them; as an answer Alessa (Or the demon or whatever) locked the fanatic people in Silent Hill and sent her pure and innocent side away to have a happy life...

But this movie changed all that, Alessa suddenly was the chosen one for giving birth a god that never was mentioned before, this means she was a special subject person for the fellowship but that didn't stop the children and their parents to treat her like their personal punchbag...

Also, they keep using the Halo of the Sun everywhere but never explain why; Christopher/Harry use it on his little chest, the cultists use it in the dumb wall message, the order uses it in their sanctuary... WHAT THE HELL DOES IT MEAN OR DOES OR WHATEVER!!??

Also, if Pyramid Head is chained up at the carrousel; why does it appear at the cell hallway chopping the hands of the prisoners? Are there 2 pyramid heads? This would be funny because the PH at the hallway is using a knife similar to the one that the Butcher wears in SH0 while the PH at the carrousel has the classic great knife...

Also, what was the point of including Dahlia and Rose? They aren't more than useless cameos that tried to fix the huge plot holes!! Having in mind that Douglas and Vincent didn't contribute with anything to the movie i would liked to have more screen time of Rose and Dahlia...

Finally, the idea of Christopher looking for Rose in Silent Hill should be the main plot of this movie; in this way he could rescue Sharon and give peace to Rose in a good way... The explanation of how Sharon was saved with the seal was just too rushed...

Also, it's a shame they didn't hire Jodelle Ferland for playing Heather/Sharon/Alessa, Adelaide Clems did a good Heather but her Alessa was just awful, she looked more like an emo Alessa... Little Jodelle did a great job as Dark Alessa, she was evil in a playful and funny way (I love when she just dances under the rain of Christabella's blood); the way she portrayed little and innocent Sharon and evil Alessa was just perfect...

The first movie wasn't perfect but it gave me something that I didn't have with any other movie based in a videogame ever... The same damn feeling!! The first movie had a little bit of exploration, finding keys, solving puzzles and using items like you usually would do in the game; Midwich elementary condensed all this in a couple of minutes in a brilliant way... I never felt that connection with SHR, when they mentioned the mall and the asylum I was expecting to see some exploration but this dissapointed me so much...

The final battle... What can I say? Do you remember the stupid idea of Alessa and Josh having a Dragon Ball Z fight over the control of Silent Hill? Well, the final battle in SHR is a lot dumber...

Finally, the credit sequence... In the first movie this was a cool homage to the games; in the second movie was just "Look how cool are the creaturs we did!! Since they barely appeared in the movie you can see them now!!"

I think that's all, I don't know anything about writing or actoing or anything like that but these are the things that mostly annoyed me...
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Alessa had powers before the burning in the first movie's canon too, however, the scenes depicting that were cut out. The script suggests that everyone knew she had powers, and that this was one of the reasons why they hated her. After being burned, Alessa's powers grew out of control and transformed her into a "superior being" (the director's words), allowing her to split her soul and create a doppelganger of herself containing her dark side, as well as the alternate reality. That's one of the very few points that SHR got right. However, she was not burned in an impregnation ritual in the first film's canon - that's pure retconning added by SHR.
born2kill
Just Passing Through

Post by born2kill »

My feeling is that all the explanations are what ruined the movie. I could go with unexplained, nonsensical plotholes if the characters just shut up & let the atmosphere & world captivate us for a while. But instead, theyre constantly blabbing & narrating everything, to the point where its painful to listen to.

On the positive side, I really liked the new alessa, in the style of Origins.
she looked far creepier than jodelle. And the scenes she was in had a nice gothic tone.
I liked her so much that i think MAYBE the movie couldve been more interesting if it were half silent hill 3 & half silent hill origins, but maybe with Rose in place of travis. maybe
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

born2kill wrote:My feeling is that all the explanations are what ruined the movie. I could go with unexplained, nonsensical plotholes if the characters just shut up & let the atmosphere & world captivate us for a while. But instead, theyre constantly blabbing & narrating everything, to the point where its painful to listen to.
The problem with this would be that everyone would complain that the movie made no sense. :/
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Yuki wrote:
born2kill wrote:My feeling is that all the explanations are what ruined the movie. I could go with unexplained, nonsensical plotholes if the characters just shut up & let the atmosphere & world captivate us for a while. But instead, theyre constantly blabbing & narrating everything, to the point where its painful to listen to.
The problem with this would be that everyone would complain that the movie made no sense. :/
The trick is to deliver exposition in context, such as when the characters talk to each other instead of the camera.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

tbonesays wrote:
Yuki wrote:
The trick is to deliver exposition in context, such as when the characters talk to each other instead of the camera.

Well, yeah, of course. But the way born2kill suggested it wouldn't have worked either for a wider moviegoing audience, if they left things unexplained.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Yuki wrote:
tbonesays wrote: The trick is to deliver exposition in context, such as when the characters talk to each other instead of the camera.

Well, yeah, of course. But the way born2kill suggested it wouldn't have worked either for a wider moviegoing audience, if they left things unexplained.
And one thing Silent Hill will never do is leave something unexplained.
born2kill
Just Passing Through

Post by born2kill »

Yuki wrote:
I dont think everyone would complain.
I think fans would understand that part of the essence of silent hill is the abstract, surreal quality of it. Like being in a dream where things suddenly dont make much sense.
Youre not suppose to fully understand whats going on while youre there. Youre just suppose to get hints & later on you can form some theories about it. But you never know for sure.

And if done properly, mainstream audiences would respond like Ebert; saying they dont understand what the hell was going on, but they still enjoyed the ride.

I think thats the best approach.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

tbonesays wrote:
Yuki wrote:
tbonesays wrote: The trick is to deliver exposition in context, such as when the characters talk to each other instead of the camera.

And one thing Silent Hill will never do is leave something unexplained.
But this is the film series--it needs to capture a bigger audience (and we know that's what they were trying to do with Revelation). It'd make for a better Silent Hill-esque film, yes, but not for general audiences.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I felt that what they did leave unexplained (why Claudia and Co. exist when not a drop of them is seen or heard of in the original film, just how Vincent can drive a car, and why the seal has so much power, etc.) brought on much of my dissatisfaction with the film.

It just doesn't seem logical to me, even in warpy Silent Hill logic, that Claudia wouldn't have tried to get Sharon/Alessa in the original film like Claudia did, or that she wouldn't have hunted anyone down in monster form.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

wonder's boy wrote:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
It just doesn't seem logical to me, even in warpy Silent Hill logic, that Claudia wouldn't have tried to get Sharon/Alessa in the original film like Claudia did, or that she wouldn't have hunted anyone down in monster form.
Honestly, it's even better. If Bassett decided to bother with that too, it would have ended up with a who knows how terrible retcon, maybe even worse than the Sharon explanation. Personally, I much more prefer it 'illogical' than just 'dumb'.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

So I decided to write a full review for IMDb and Amazon... I'd be really grateful to anybody who takes the time to read it.

I'm such a Silent Hill nerd. I've played every one of the games and must have watched the first movie 20 times by now. I can analyse the psychology behind each of the games and sound kinda like I know what I'm talking about and I'm a little obsessed with the minute details. That being said, I'm probably one of the few who can actually call themselves a FAN of the series, since I still enjoy it very much, American, Japanese or otherwise.

See, there's a little bit of a rift in Silent Hill. The original four games, the first on the PlayStation and the rest on the PS2, were culty Japanese creations, but after the original team disbanded and the series started to find more mainstream popularity, Silent Hill left Japan and started enlisting talent from the west, making a couple of stops in the UK, one in the Czech Republic and a couple in the US, and along with this there comes the expanding of the series to be more accessible to the now wider audience. The problem is, like many franchises which expand to please a larger audience, a schism is created between those who were touched by the subtleties of the pre-"selling out" era and those who joined the fandom due to the now more accessible franchise. One half are dying for the series to return to being a more subtle affair taking most of its cues from Japanese horror tropes which are much more alien to us, whilst the other half would rather keep the more accessible and thrilling side of things.

Things will make a little more sense if I give a very brief outline of the series' history. Silent Hill on the PS1 was a Japanese attempt at American horror, resulting in something quite unique. The story involved demonic cults, living nightmares and lovecraftian demons, a "thrill ride through hell" as Revelation's TV spots described it, but with a surreal weirdness resulting from the Japanese tropes which were so alien to us. Silent Hill 2 on the other hand took the setting and turned it into a nondescript purgatory from which a very personal story could be told, in fact a story deeper and more moving than we'd seen in video games before, mostly. Ironically whilst the second game is the fan favourite these days, at the time it met with backlash due to being too different from the first, so the third game went back to basics, trying to take one or two of the things learned from this detour with it, and acted as a direct sequel to the original game. Naturally this was the entry chosen to be adapted for the movie sequel.

Here's where things get a little fuzzy. See, although Silent Hill went 'back to basics' for the next few series entries, later on a more mature fanbase wanted more of what Silent Hill 2 had to offer, the emotional and personal stories. After the polarising Silent Hill 4: The Room, Silent Hill left Japan and was resurrected by several different studios in different ways, some going the route of Silent Hill 1/3 but bigger and "better" and more universal (Silent Hill Homecoming in particular), some split off from the demon/cult stuff and told personal stories like the second game, and some of these even tried to do both at once, attempting to bridge the Lovecraftian cults and demons with the subtle psychodrama, which... usually works about as well as it sounds like it would.

About the same time the series left Japan, the first movie came out, which actually did a bloody good job of telling the first game's story in a smaller and more relatable way, swapping evil demonic cults for witch-burning extremists, bringing up new questions about personal faith, family vs. god and sacrifice, making things a lot more close to home. Not all fans were happy, as it borrowed many of the more iconic images from Silent Hill 2, such as Pyramid Head and the nurse creatures, which are said to be figments of one man's imagination (so to speak... look up Silent Hill 2 to learn more), and worked them into the original game's more fantastical, less profound story, but these iconic images helped to shape the movie and make it as memorable as it was. A little bit of a 'best of' Silent Hill, telling the story of the original game with a melancholy tone more akin to the second, with bits and bobs from the third and forth in there as well.

A good six years later they finally got the sequel made and released, by the awesome Michael J. Bassett, who brought us the stunning Deathwatch, the badass Solomon Kane, and the intense Wilderness, and it shows perhaps a deeper understanding of the Silent Hill series than the first movie did, but this isn't always a good thing.

Silent Hill Revelation follows Sharon, the little girl from the first film (go and watch it if you haven't, if I try to fill you in on that one as well, this review will go on for even longer than it already has... a problem I believe this sequel suffered from actually... more on that later), now 18 years old and going by the pseudonym Heather, and her father, named Chris in the original, now calling himself Harry, as they constantly relocate and rename themselves to try and keep Silent Hill's evil cult off of their heels. It's not long before Harry is captured and Heather makes her way back into the hellish nightmare town, aided by love interest Vincent, to try and rescue him.

Why were the cult still following Chris and Sharon after so long, and why do they want them back in Silent Hill? Well, you won't have to worry, Revelations is VERY keen on answering EVERY LAST ONE of your questions.

A little too keen.

See, Bassett, from the beginning, has expressed his intent on bringing the movies closer to the games, and in making this sequel an accessible movie to game fans, fans of the first film, and newcomers. To achieve this, the film goes all out to try and fill us in on the first movie AND the details from the video game universe that the first film intentionally left out or changed, as well as explaining away any contradictions between this film's more faithful version of the Silent Hill lore and that of the first film. In 90 minutes. To its credit, it leaves next to no questions unanswered, but the unwelcome side effect is that in a story known for its good character development, entire characters end up being devoted to exposition dumping. Heather's love interest, Vincent, starts off quite interesting but quickly deteriorates into acting almost as a narrator, one particular scene in a motel room has Heather asking questions and Vincent answering each one in detail, the Silent Hill Revelation tour guide. Before you can ask "but what about-" Vincent has answered it. The rule is usually "show, don't tell", but in this case I'd have preferred neither, to have kept the lore simple like the first film did and have instead given Vincent more to do as a character in his already short screen time. What's worse, there are other characters who exist just for this purpose too. Dahlia, a character from the first film, returns for one scene, in which she basically recaps Heather's origin from the first film and then tells her to run, and another character from the third game appears to give an exposition dump and then get slaughtered by a monster.

Characters, locales and monsters pop into the story and then are forgotten again, making this adventure more of a linear of string of fascinating events than something which turns back on itself like the original. The original movie I used to describe to people unfamiliar with the games as "a horror Alice in Wonderland". This one I would is a horror "Labyrinth" (heck, Malcolm McDowell even looks kinda like Hoggle these days).

Slaughtered by a monster, eh? Yep, there is plenty of death and gore in this one. Some didn't find the gore appropriate at the end of the first movie, but I say death is important in a good horror film. It's not like the original video games were without gore (in fact, the one this movie adapts had many very gruesome moments), and sometimes, up until the blood-soaked finale, the first film's monsters seemed to carry the threat that they might BE WEIRD NEAR TO YOU. Not the case here. Characters are offed in bloody and violent ways by the monsters and, while fans of the quiet subtlety of the second game, it actually adds a new layer to the monsters, making them a genuine threat by depicting their hostility before working on the tension. One scene in particular, involving the nurse creatures from the first movie, takes on a whole new level of tension when you've seen the violence these things are capable of. Silent Hill Revelation's monsters clearly want you dead, and they're all the more scary for it.

There's also one entirely CG monster which, while some of the things going on around it aren't done in the most believable CG (it's a pretty low budget film after all), is a sight to behold. I've never had a computer generated creature freak me out like this. Generally my rule is that practical monsters are scarier due to attributes such as weight and the uncanny valley effect, but this thing was quite terrifying, especially in 3D. I'd go as far as to say it was the highlight of the movie, up until the finale, which polarised fans just about as far as you can (hint: I loved it).

I'd love to comment on the actors' performances, but sadly due to the short runtime and complex story, a lot of them are gone before they've had a moment. Malcolm McDowell has a scene, and he's as brilliant (albeit campy) as ever. Carrie-Anne Moss floats around doing her best wicked witch impersonation (to be fair, this character was just as stereotypical in the game), and Sean Bean (Harry/Chris) somehow got worse at doing an American accent (I'm British and even I can hear how off it is). Adelaide Clemens is a wonderful Heather, and Kit Harrington does a good job as Vincent, even if he does get his "Twilight" on a little too much.

So for all its ambition and the convoluted dialogue coming from the film trying to be too many different things at once, Silent Hill Revelation is pretty damn fun. I really did care for Heather and I got truly immersed in the world and its beautifully thick atmosphere. Seriously, those were some amazing sets and they don't get enough credit, the same goes for the lighting. For me, once you forgive my above gripes, Revelations pulled off the Silent Hill 1 thing perfectly, but Silent Hill has come so far since then as a game series. Perhaps now you can understand the need for my little micro-retrospective at the start of the review when I explain that whilst this movie adapts Silent Hill 1 and 3 near perfectly (all things considered), it doesn't come close to matching the maturity and depth that Silent Hill 2 and others brought to the series, and a lot of people will be disappointed by that.

If you're from the Silent Hill 2 crowd, looking for a David Lynch-esque multilayered psychological study of the darkness inside of all of us, you're going to despise this. If, however, you appreciate the other side of Silent Hill, the Lovecraftian adventures in a nightmare world, I say go for it. Silent Hill Revelation is a thrilling, engrossing, gorgeous horror thrill ride which does justice to the early roots of Silent Hill. It just doesn't match up to what Silent Hill has become in the mean time.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Steel Pipe
Just Passing Through

Post by Steel Pipe »

DirectJ that was an excellent,very well written review.So thanks,I really enjoyed it.You're so spot-on about the movie being info-heavy,and I totally agree about the actors having very little time developing their personalities on screen.In fact it's three months since I've seen the film,and I can't recall a single line,or particular moment.The only thing I can recall is lame,linear and predictable acting.

Furthemore,you have well divided the fans and viewers in categories,so being a Lyncher to the death,I wouldn't like this film even if "Silent Hill" initials were absent.However,regarding the first movie - apart from the ending - there wasn't that much of psychological allegories as a hardcore SH2-fashion fan would expect there either.But what was there,was balance.That's the key word,and that's what made Gans's film pretty much watchable for every audience.He came up with just the right quantity of both videogame and movie elements needed to make this "recipe" work,and personally I was satisfied both as a films and SH fan.

Oh,and I love Mcdowell,but honestly,I have him stigmatized in my subconsious drinking milk and going "welly welly welly welly well!"

~Herodotus~