So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

resevil80
Just Passing Through

So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....

Post by resevil80 »

..wasn't set up to succeed...It just seems likes one minute I was hearing Avary was still writing this thing and all of sudden...Bassett has a completed script....

I mean Gans was given free reign, 50 million dollars and it seemed like all the time in the world to make Silent Hill...

Then Bassett is told, Your doing Silent Hill 3, Your shooting it in 3D and you have half the budget...By the way, need a script by Sunday...Thanks, have a great day...On top of that, they shot the movie pretty quickly too...

Just look at the runtime, the watering down(visually) of some of the cooler things in Silent Hill 3....

I don't know...I think thats one reason I like the movie more than I would have if Bassett had been given the same resources...I understand he took the job, and knew the task at hand....But Still....Just felt like he was crapped on in some regards....Not that I don't blame him for stuff like the mirror scene.....Bleh, Whatever...
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....

Post by KiramidHead »

I've been thinking along similar lines. The first thing that occurred to me when thinking over the rushed pacing in SHR was how much the pacing was criticized in the first movie. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Carmody and Hadida told Bassett that he had to get the film in under a certain running time. I'm also inclined to think that the clunky exposition was partly a result of the rushed pacing.

Now, that's not to entirely exonerate Bassett. Dialogue has never been his strong point, although I recall it not being too bad in Deathwatch. Solomon Kane, on the other hand, had some pretty cheesy dialogue at points and a few things that were a bit under explained. It wasn't to the extent that SHR had this problem, but it was there. I also think he needs to learn how to handle his effects budget a bit better. His first two films were taut, low budget, and high in suspense. However, both SK and SHR had presumably higher effects budgets, and he went overboard with them in places. In SK,
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
a giant CGI demon is summoned, stalks around the room a bit, and then gets promptly destroyed in the climax.
The Spiderquin reminds me of this in that it's not a great effect, and adds precisely dick to the film. I enjoyed the hell out of the scene, but it would have been better left out in order to give more time to the story and characters.
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

I agree that Bassett had to work in less than ideal circumstances. But even so it requires a certain level of incompetence to produce something as abysmal as Revelations. Under better circumstances I do believe Bassett could have made a better film, but it still would have been far from good. It would have just sucked a little less.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

After going back and reading some Comments made by the almighty Don Carmody in 2009.....No wonder....He's such a tool.....
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I'm more concerned that Bassett
lied to us about retconning the Order and Alessa's nature.
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

Heh. Was he limited? Yes. Were these limits the cause for, imo, how horrible this movie turned out to be? No.

Set up to fail?

Nope.

The time span, budget, deadlines, etc., of making anything shouldn't be what's to blame for the lack of quality. No. It's being a poor director and writer. Of course his limits placed some problems on the film, but no way in hell does that make it the reason why the movie was generally bad.

Where did you get that he was to "turn in a script by Sunday?"
Sith_Dreamer
Just Passing Through

Post by Sith_Dreamer »

I keep wondering how much was cut from this film. I mean, the first still had Rose in a mirror of the scene from the first film. So I'm wondering if this movie didn't start going one way and the studio pulled it another. I really want to know how much cutting and editing got done to the film before release.
"Once More the Sith Shall Rule the Galaxy!"- Palpatine
"Welcome to My Nightmare!"- Freddy Krueger
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

teosoleil wrote:Where did you get that he was to "turn in a script by Sunday?"
That was a joke....Just alluding to the fact that one minute Avary is still on board...Then out of nowhere....Bassett has a completed script and it about to start shooting the movie...
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

Yeah, but you're implying that there was some news beforehand that Bassett was given a really short deadline, which I took seriously.

Hell, we can assume that he was given all the time in the world to write a script from all we know.
zeo
Just Passing Through

Post by zeo »

I'm not sure if he was crapped on or not when it came to the film, and I loved the portrayal of heather, but I don't think Basset and the production really had the budget to actually pull off this movie imho with all due respect. I think the major thing that bothered me the most was the lack of monsters from the game! There is so many amazing abstract monsters in SH3... and it was a wasted effort not to include them in the movie. I was really hoping they would include at least a couple of the them, like a Pendulum or Closer. (spoiler) But the film only had the mascot nurses, a mannequin splithead spider that you see for about 30 seconds, WWF wrestler / sword fighter PyramidHead, and a Cenobite from Hellraiser that also stood in to be the final boss.... huh.....? lol Then there was a 2 second scene involving what looked like a resident evil mutant. Overall I wished they took advantage of the game's amazing monsters!
silenced angel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by silenced angel »

I believe the producers just wanted to wrap the whole Alessa/cult thing as soon as possible in order to make SH into an anthology series of films unrelated to the first two films. That's why I believe the whole thing felt too rushed, they just needed to have the job done, and tell the audience that SH is more than Alessa and the cult, that it can be about individuals being dragged to SH to have their own experiences.
nanook in heaven...
Numinex
Just Passing Through

Post by Numinex »

I'm not quite sure, but didn't Bassett said, that he wasn't involved in that whole editing and montage process? I watched this movie yesterday, and God, I can't believe it's so rushed and poorly edited! There is so many potentialy good scenes, spoiled by terrible editing.
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

Also, edited for 3D is a different Beast that doing it in 2D....He stated on his blog that he wanted to do a 2D cut which would have been longer and not contain as many quick cuts...But the studio wouldn't let him....So yeah, I still think the producers had a lot to do with the length of the movie....
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

zeo wrote:I'm not sure if he was crapped on or not when it came to the film, and I loved the portrayal of heather, but I don't think Basset and the production really had the budget to actually pull off this movie imho with all due respect. I think the major thing that bothered me the most was the lack of monsters from the game! There is so many amazing abstract monsters in SH3... and it was a wasted effort not to include them in the movie. I was really hoping they would include at least a couple of the them, like a Pendulum or Closer. (spoiler) But the film only had the mascot nurses, a mannequin splithead spider that you see for about 30 seconds, WWF wrestler / sword fighter PyramidHead, and a Cenobite from Hellraiser that also stood in to be the final boss.... huh.....? lol Then there was a 2 second scene involving what looked like a resident evil mutant. Overall I wished they took advantage of the game's amazing monsters!
This movie smacked of made for cable tv on Saturday afternoons. To be fair this was how I found the original movie.

In the first movie, the monster scenes all advance the plot. In SHR most of them just pause the plot so we can have some action.
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

Maybe thats why I like it...Cause I do love me some Saturday afternoon movie magic :)
RinoTheBouncer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by RinoTheBouncer »

Whether it's his or their fault, the film had huge hype from us fans specially after waiting for 6 years for it only to get something that only succeeded in capturing some scenes that look like the games with no relationship with the story and a soundtrack that not even a brainless person would edit it this way.

SH3 and the story of Alessa in general is a very rich story and it could've easily made a little-than-3-hours long film but what have we got? an hour and 20 mins, nothing special, not-so-professional-directing and a story that feels like someone had pieces of info. written on papers, mixed them together and made them a story that somewhat resembles that names of the characters and some locations.

The first film was high-class, this one is like a film made for fun not for cinemas.
Twitter: @RinoTheBouncer | www.rinothebouncer.com | Instagram: @RinoTheBouncer
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

RinoTheBouncer wrote:Whether it's his or their fault, the film had huge hype from us fans specially after waiting for 6 years for it only to get something that only succeeded in capturing some scenes that look like the games with no relationship with the story and a soundtrack that not even a brainless person would edit it this way.

SH3 and the story of Alessa in general is a very rich story and it could've easily made a little-than-3-hours long film but what have we got? an hour and 20 mins, nothing special, not-so-professional-directing and a story that feels like someone had pieces of info. written on papers, mixed them together and made them a story that somewhat resembles that names of the characters and some locations.

The first film was high-class, this one is like a film made for fun not for cinemas.
I have to disagree about the first movie....Yeah, it looked great...But what Gans and Avary did to the story....In my opinion, its awful.....The Cult, adding Christabella and completely changing Dhalias character.....And the Rose thing. Why? You already had a strong female lead(Cybil) so why change Harry into Rose(and that change brought on the Chris side story, which killed the pacing)....The only thing I like about the first movie is the visuals.....I give him that, it felt like Silent Hill...

Bassett had to come in and follow that load of crap(again, just an opinion)....And I feel he did a decent job....Revelations has it problems(Some spotty acting, Some Spotty Dialogue(although I thought some of it worked really well), Some scenes that don't fit), but he got the story back to where it should have been in the first place. The thing is, even though the movies pacing was lightening fast, thats how the third game played out....Monsters everywhere, More action focused, and the story was pretty weak(imo)......So, while I know that SH:R has problems, and should have been at least 20 minutes longer, I appreciate what Bassett did.....And the retcons....Well, I'll say it again, some of them can be explained(although probably not in any way that will make most fans of the first movie happy) and I don't mind the ones that can't be....

But thats just my opinion on the whole thing....
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

Lol. The first movie's story was bad because of changes made to the original core story, to adapt to Gan's vision?

You're ignoring the fact that Harry was changed to Rose because of Harry's very feminine characteristics as a person, and the fact that the entire movie deals with themes that revolve around motherhood, what makes a good mother or bad mother, and how mother is god in the eyes of a child. Hell, the movie's last full line is "Mother is god in the eyes of a child." Without a female version of Harry, none of this would have worked at all.

The movie felt like Silent Hill just because of its visuals? What about the soundtrack? Acting? Symbolism? Cinematography? It seems like you credit the first movie for visuals only and deem every other area lackluster without explaining why. All these other aspects of the film adds to the atmosphere that is so "Silent Hill".
and that change brought on the Chris side story, which killed the pacing
No. What brought on the Chris side story was the decision of the film's executives who felt that a two-hour long movie without men in it would not be received well.

And even if the pacing with that side of the movie was horrible, it really is nothing compared to the pacing of Revelations.

Hell, the first movie didn't have much closeness to the original story, but managed to adapt a lot of meaningful and deep details into film. On the other hand, you have Revelations, which is extremely close to the game in many ways but fails to convey deeper details or any meaningful aspects as a whole.

And, even though he did get the story close to where it needed to be for future, non-Order related installments, he created a whole lot of problems and a bunch of mess that just can't be ignored unless you ignore important events of the first movie entirely. In fact, I would go as far as to say that the new aspect of
people now being drawn to Silent Hill
can only be taken seriously if you take the first movie out of the film canon at all, or, alternatively, having Revelations take place in an AU.
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

resevil80 wrote:And the Rose thing. Why? You already had a strong female lead(Cybil) so why change Harry into Rose(and that change brought on the Chris side story, which killed the pacing).
Gans said it was because he realized two things :

- Harry acted very impulsively and emotionally, which to him felt more motherly than fatherly.

- The cult is a matriarchy.

He figured by changing Harry into Rose he' d be able to tell a story about femininity, sorority, motherhood etc ...
teosoleil wrote:What brought on the Chris side story was the decision of the film's executives who felt that a two-hour long movie without men in it would not be received well.
And because they felt more exposition was needed for those who never played the game.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

teosoleil wrote:You're ignoring the fact that Harry was changed to Rose because of Harry's very feminine characteristics as a person,
I'm still somewhat mystified by this assertion, and have been ever since Gans said it. What part of Harry's attitude or actions were feminine? Was it that he gave a shit about his daughter? Or was it that he ran like he had a corncob stuck up his ass?