Deleted and extended scenes

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

Numinex
Just Passing Through

Deleted and extended scenes

Post by Numinex »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqM0YHdlABY (HD)

Better than I thought. Quite a shame that some of these didn't make the final cut.

My favourite - Heather on the streets of Silent Hill.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: Deleted and extended scenes

Post by AuraTwilight »

I still don't understand why that Heather meets Rose scene was cut. Seriously, what the everliving fuck?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

The scene of Rose screaming "Run!" continuously is just embarrassing. How could Bassett take what could have been an emotional and deep scene and turn it into something so cheap and silly? *SMH*
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Still, considering the rest of the movie, it wouldn't of been that bad. It'd of atleast had Rose IN IT.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

The Rose scene was terrible. Jesus, Rhada sounded like she didn't give a crap about coming back, although Bassett didn't give her a lot to work with either.

I liked the extended Harry scene and most of the Heather and Vincent stuff(Adelaide was pretty good and I liked her dialogue) and even though it still wasn't good, the alternate butcher scene was slightly better than the version that made it into the movie.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Does it count as a spoiler when you can only watch it online? Or perhaps it's only a spoiler for Americans as our dvd won't have them.
JKristine35 wrote:The scene of Rose screaming "Run!" continuously is just embarrassing. How could Bassett take what could have been an emotional and deep scene and turn it into something so cheap and silly? *SMH*
He probably watched the chaotic season 3 of Lost and thought it was a template.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
French woman is reunited with her lost daughter of 14 years, and...
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
they wave HELLO
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I need to watch the entire featurette, because I only skipped through to find the Rose scene. As I said over at Silent Hill Community, it could have been so much better--even just having Rose interact with Heather for a few moments and then break into "RUN! RUN!" would have been great, although I don't understand why the Cenobite was there at all.

I want to see Bassett's other films, because the way he speaks makes it seem likes he understands the series as well as, to a point, filmmaking. I wonder if he just did a mediocre job with Silent Hill or if he's a bad screenwriter with interesting ideas.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

I was rather disappointed with the deleted scenes. Especially the Rose and Heather seen. You would think there could have been some dialogue there before the Missionary appeared.
But then never mind, I'm just glad we got deleted scenes!
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Yuki wrote:I need to watch the entire featurette, because I only skipped through to find the Rose scene. As I said over at Silent Hill Community, it could have been so much better--even just having Rose interact with Heather for a few moments and then break into "RUN! RUN!" would have been great, although I don't understand why the Cenobite was there at all.

I want to see Bassett's other films, because the way he speaks makes it seem likes he understands the series as well as, to a point, filmmaking. I wonder if he just did a mediocre job with Silent Hill or if he's a bad screenwriter with interesting ideas.
Deathwatch was great, and Wilderness is a serviceable slasher film.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

I though we where supposed to see cut enemies in the deleted scenes?
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

I don't think the cut enemies/monsters even got far enough in production to be filmed and cut.

Some of the scenes were cut with good reason. But a few seemed to just be longer sequences of what we got, only better because they had a bit more time to elaborate and didn't feel rushed. The long version of Vincent hounding Heather for a coffee date, basically following her at school and walking home with her was one I'd like to have been kept. I would've even liked Rose's appearance in the elevator, but it felt empty and stupid how she just kept yelling RUN! I mean, c'mon.

We had good characters to base this sequel off of and they felt totally breezed over (Rose, Dahlia, even Chris). Not saying the new characters couldn't have been included. Hell, Claudia felt barely included. The film felt just too short to wrap around everything it needed to cover, hence all the exposition. Okay I'm done.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

wonder's boy wrote:I don't think the cut enemies/monsters even got far enough in production to be filmed and cut.

Some of the scenes were cut with good reason. But a few seemed to just be longer sequences of what we got.
To make a football analogy, having a lot of bad players does not mean your team has depth.

None of that was going to save this film. I'm much happier they cut the Rose scene because that means there remains a snowball's chance that we get to see her in a better movie.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

After seeing Revelation I think they should just start over with a completely new story. That relies on if they even do another film. I hope Chris looking for Rose would turn out to be more interesting and coherent than Revelation, but I wouldn't want Bassett involved after seeing his choices with this film. Maybe he'd do better with a detached story that isn't a sequel or adaptation, I dunno.

The less chances writers/directors/producers/etc have to manipulate backstories/retcon/otherwise fuck things up, the better. Thus, they need to start with completely new story.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

After watching all of the scenes I simply think most of them, if not all should have been inserted or left uncut in the final piece. It wouldn't change the all-steel Failure of the plot, but it would at least make some scenes look less cheap than a 5$ alley whore. Moreover, it would at least have given it some integrity instead of blood-gore-scream-stab fanfic randomly thrown scenes.

For the first one: although I'm of the opinion that any variation of the cheap hollywood screamer-dream trick should simply not be in such movie, I much more prefer the extended version. Then, it would at least be just a cheap hollywood dream trick.

The 'Harry looks for work' was a really nice one. It would have shown another interesting aspect of their runaway life and given you a bit of time to grasp the whole atmosphere.

The school part was a bit dumb actually. The noun part was too straight forward, but the extra classroom was a pro.

The third scene, a definite 'No'. One more extra scene with Kit Harrington and I would have shot myself.

The butcher extra, another no. It's just that.. no.

The extra scene at the bus stop and 'Vincent and Heather in SH'- it's a 'Yes', nevertheless Vincent's face in it, AGAIN. It helps you grasp everything after the firts nightmare. And it balances the tempo, too.

As much as it regards the 'Heather in the streets of SH', I don't know why didn't Bassett do more with the wandering through the misty town. It's one thing you can't miss when doing a Silent Hill movie. I actually miss Rose's running and long walks through the town with 'Wounded Warsong' playing in the background. However, I would get rid of the cultists and the soldier in this one.

And finally, the one I expected the most of.. puff. I'm happy he didn't use this one. Poor Rose. From the first movie's sentimental and extraordinarily caring mother, we get a 'WTF am I doing here? GTFO bitch. It's U they want!"
CrypticIdentity
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by CrypticIdentity »

Holy crap, is that the shadow of a Closer at the end of the alleyway in the deleted "Heather in the Streets of Silent Hill" scene? Aw, man. What a tease.

And did they really not include an extended scene with the Lobotomy monster? If I remember correctly, it was everyone's favorite creature, they spent a whole day filming with it, and we see it for all of 15 seconds in the movie.

BLARGH. Poor, poor Radha, relegated to shouting "RUN" and confessing her love for Sean Bean in explicit terms to the camera so people who haven't seen the first movie will get that she's his wife.

And yeah, while none of these scenes would've saved the movie, I think they would've at least helped the pacing.

Also, for the first time, I kind of wish someone else had played Vincent. I haven't seen Game of Thrones, so I don't have any reference for Kit Harrington as an actor beyond this role, but especially after watching these scenes, I feel like he wasn't the right fit for the character Bassett wrote. Not to say that his character was written that well to begin with, but it seems like Bassett wrote him as a little nerdier and more awkward than is natural for Kit Harrington. It's almost like Bassett wrote more of a Xander-from-Buffy type character who's had most of his humor driven out of him by growing up in the Otherworld, but tries to make jokes to compensate for awkwardness all the same.

Okay, this is really batshit crazy, but you know what went through my mind when he dropped the "I guess I'm... Your average tall, dark, handsome stranger" line?

1. Okay, it's a cliche.
2. But he delivers it like he's aware it's a cliche.
3. How would Vincent be aware of a cliche like that?
4. Vincent watched film noir in Silent Hill to prepare for going into the real world.

This is my new headcanon; there is nothing you can do to convince me otherwise.

"Mom... Do people in the real world really act like this?"

"Yes, darling, and if you're going to lure Alessa back to Silent Hill, you need to finish watching the complete works of Humphrey Bogart. And after that, Sinatra. Now get to it; mummy has some new creature designs to try on."
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I got the impression that they only spent a whole day on the lobotomy monster because Adelaide kept fucking the scene up and shooting it wrong.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Lobotomy monster? Let me guess, it represents the state of the audience after watching Silent Hill Revelation.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Yuki wrote:I need to watch the entire featurette, because I only skipped through to find the Rose scene. As I said over at Silent Hill Community, it could have been so much better--even just having Rose interact with Heather for a few moments and then break into "RUN! RUN!" would have been great, although I don't understand why the Cenobite was there at all.

You should check out Deathwatch. I actually think it does a better job of this kind of story than any SH adaptation could. It's just this film does the Silent Hill 3 tone and not the more dignified tone we're used to from SH2.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Droo

Post by Droo »

That scene with the Order members on the street is just cringe inducing.

"The demon! The demon!"

Ugh, what terrible acting.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

This is truly one of those films that we should just pretend never existed. maybe they'll remake this second film in a few years and we can just sweep Revelations under the rug :)

Or, just an all out reboot for the series would be nice.