Got It? Post Your Impressions Here.

Come here to talk about the Book of Memories.

Moderator: Moderators

fudgestix

Got It? Post Your Impressions Here.

Post by fudgestix »

Tell us what you liked/didn't like.
THE RULES! [click me and learn]
"I think I'd prefer a sword over a penis anyday." - Wigeke
Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)
Arsenic13
Just Passing Through

Re: Got It? Post Your Impressions Here.

Post by Arsenic13 »

I would personally love drop in coop. No need to start a level and have to exit out to bring friends in. This might require a lot of coding, so idk about an update.

Unlock the brightness on the Vita. So far BoM and Katamari choose to lock the brightness slightly below 100% to save power.

The X marker that you can place on the map should be visible to online friends. If it is, then sometimes it glitches and doesn't appear.

Add Closers!

Pinch to zoom in would be a nice little feature for those who prefer to see up close even if the graphics won't lend well to it.

Near support would be neat: Send Silent Hill themed creepy notes with a helpful item.

AR support where the dungeons can be loaded on top of any surface that the card is placed. Looking into the dungeon at any angle would be really cool.

Add the ability to switch weapons while moving. I can multitask if the game would allow me. This would be highly beneficial during frantic fights.

Reduce he amount of 1 health poison traps. by 50%. They're everywhere. I want to allocate my skill to other things and not just INT because their are too many of these overpowered traps.
Scissorman82
Just Passing Through

Post by Scissorman82 »

Why is it so dead in here? Anyway, here are my impressions:

http://www.gamesabyss.com/silent-hillbo ... es-review/
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

Scissorman82 wrote:Why is it so dead in here? Anyway, here are my impressions:

http://www.gamesabyss.com/silent-hillbo ... es-review/
Probably because most forum members don't have a Vita.
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
MuffinCraft
Just Passing Through

Post by MuffinCraft »

I picked this up during the aftermath of hurricane Sandy when we got stuck with no power for almost 2 weeks. I love WayForward for what they did with Double Dragon Neon so I wanted to give this game a chance.

I went in knowing I probably shouldn't expect a 'Silent Hill' game. I've only played a few levels and haven't been able to test out co-op yet but it has a very distinct 'dungeon crawler' feel to it. It's not bad, the combat is entertaining but there are some mechanics I could do without. If I continue on I REALLY hope level design changes and it's not all generic rusted other world 'cause that gets old after a while.

The karma meter... I've grown to hate 'good' and 'bad' mechanics in games. I like the idea of the ghost rooms effecting it... but trying to collect those puddles the monsters drop after is annoying. First off, it's hard to see what is a 'white' and 'red' puddle unless you shine the flashlight directly on it which is hard to do when other monsters are around. The puddles also don't stay long and I find myself most often accidentally picking up the red puddles. I don't know if the targeting circles actually imply what color a monster will drop. I feel that they don't but I haven't played enough to say for sure. It just seemed like when I killed a targeted monster that had a white circle, they would sometimes drop red puddles anyway.

The 'memory residue' system, especially with it literally looking like treasure, screams the idea that WayForward was making a dungeon crawler and someone higher up said "We got the license to make a Silent Hill Game!" while the people actually making the game are going "but... we don't want to make a silent hill game :(" Too bad so sad and there we have dungeon crawler Silent Hill.

I think the game would be way more promising as a stylized, cell shaded or cartoon-esque theme with humor as opposed to horror (like Spiral Knights or Torchlight).

In the end it comes down to this: I like it. I still need more time to play it, get more experience, level up, and try out co-op to get a real feel for the game. I was happy to see the postman from Downpour, he's about the only character I liked from that game :D
Scissorman82
Just Passing Through

Post by Scissorman82 »

What's your PSN ID, MuffinCraft? I need more peeps to play this with, lol.
Droo

Post by Droo »

*thud*

And that is apparently the sound of a game flopping harder than an obscenely obese person spontaneously losing all the bones in their body.

When you can't even get people talking about a Silent Hill game on a Silent Hill forum, you know you have a dud.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

I'll just leave this here...

Japanese cover

KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Droo wrote:*thud*

And that is apparently the sound of a game flopping harder than an obscenely obese person spontaneously losing all the bones in their body.

When you can't even get people talking about a Silent Hill game on a Silent Hill forum, you know you have a dud.

More like the sound of a game releasing on a console hardly anyone owns, but I digress.
Postcode
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Postcode »

^
That pretty much sums it up I think. I'm fairly sure quite a lot of us would like to play it, but not enough to splash out on a new machine.
For anyone that might be interested in such things, some links to my music, of the alternative rock kind -
http://postcode.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/zebracore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Postcode/99794277098

And my Post-Rock band Nanaki -
https://nanaki.bandcamp.com
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

jdnation wrote:I'll just leave this here...

Japanese cover

Who allowed this abomination to come into existence?
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

^ Konami. I don' t know whether that faceless corporation is self-aware or not, but I swear it feels like it' s trying to make me realize something, something I forgot along the line.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Wait, I think Konami got it backwards. The Japanese go for subtle imagery on box art whereas Western gamers need something obvious shoved in their faces. The PH cover would be better suited for here and the book hands one for there. :/
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
stonecoldsteveurkel
Just Passing Through

Post by stonecoldsteveurkel »

The EU cover has more subtlety than the hands cover. I'm not one who thinks the covers need to have subtlety crammed in just for its own sake. Some of the covers praised for subtle or minimalistic imagery like SH2's NA boxart just seemed rather generic and following an overdone tradition of having a closeup face on the cover that was done one after the other from SH1 to SH3.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Well, that's nice. From the 'Impression' thread we get the usual 'It's oblivous it doesn't stick' one. 2 reviews out of 14 posts. I won't comment on anythink simply because of the fact that statistics does it very solidly on its own.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Postcode wrote:^
That pretty much sums it up I think. I'm fairly sure quite a lot of us would like to play it, but not enough to splash out on a new machine.
I doubt that's it. If anything Vita owners are arguably starved for new content. But plenty of other games are selling decently enough even if the system isn't hot.

There just isn't any buzz whatsoever. Could be a bunch of things:
- Game on system with small userbase. (Though arguably this game doesn't look like it cost much to develop so they probably took that into consideration. Konami probably also plans to port this game for iOS or something. Combine that with a brand that isn't exactly popular).
- Game in genre not that many people care for. (Then again many were looking forward to Warrior's Lair for Vita)
- Konami's non existent marketing... impeccable as usual...
- Silent Hill game in a genre far removed than from what its fan base expects even in the most desperate of circumstances. (Would've definately been more appealing to the SH community if it was something more like 0rigins).
- M'eh reviews... poor story, repetitiveness, only neat if you like grinding hack/slash games like old school Diablo with a unique skin.
- There are better games on Vita you could spend your money on, particularly when PlayStation+ is giving several of them away for a $50 yearly subscription or free 1 month codes! At beast many don't see this game as worth the entry price point. And it'll be lost when people will prefer brands like Assassin's Creed and COD. Frankly, Konami might be better off making a deal with Sony to give this game away with PS+.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

I plan on getting a Vita sooner than I had originally intended, so I'll be posting my impressions hopefully sometime after Christmas is said and done. I'd be cool if there are still people from here playing by then.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I'll be playing it, don't worry.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

I bought it, I was playing it, I was enjoying it. Then I got to an area that has a bunch of really annoying traps: If you step on them you instantly drop down to one HP. After dying and restarting that level about 6 or 7 times, I decided to take a short break from BoM. Then I discovered I could download Final Fantasy VIII onto my Vita, and damned if I'm not suddenly 50 hours into a new game. :P

I fully intend to finish Book of Memories. I like the combat; it's very well balanced. Breakable weapons in previous games were very annoying, but in this game, you can carry two weapons at once, so when one breaks, you often have a backup without having to go into your inventory. Guns can be used as melee weapons if you run out of bullets, but there's no additional button you have to remember to use like in Downpour. (I almost never fired guns in Downpour because once I switched to a melee weapon, I'd accidentally throw it)

The puzzles don't really seem to be getting any harder as I progress (and I think I'm about a third or half of the way finished); they're basically all a variation on "place these five items in order from biggest to smallest/red to purple/darkest to lightest." But there is a boss that I really liked: the Light Guardian. The design was really unique. Bizarre, even. And it's pretty tough to figure out how to beat it; I had to check an online guide. Very satisfying when you get it right, though. :)

And those are my impressions thus far.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

JuriDawn, when you hit those traps, your HP goes back to normal after a few moments. It's basically a fakeout.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]