P.T. downloaded over 1M times; viewed over 30M times online

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

unreadphilosophy
Historical Society Historian

P.T. downloaded over 1M times; viewed over 30M times online

Post by unreadphilosophy »

http://www.destructoid.com/p-t-download ... 0482.phtml

Yeah. It's pretty conclusive to me that Kojima and Del Toro have released a monster on the world.

Take into account, a good portion of mainstream games have a hard time hitting 30 million views on sites like Youtube if they're not popular enough with the masses.
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: P.T. downloaded over 1M times; viewed over 30M times onl

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

This is huge. Bear in mind it's only the teaser. And Kojima knows how to hype this game until they are released. The main game ain't even released yet, and the general audience is already waiting for it. This is the best thing that could have happened to the franchise.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

It's great that they have so much attention on the name right now. I'm sure some (maybe a lot) of it is due to the lack of new, quality content currently available on the new platforms, but they are doing some very smart things to help spread the word on the game.
Good to see SH gaining some traction for positive reasons, if nothing else.
Matt S
Gravedigger

Post by Matt S »

30 Million Views? Holy cow....thats like 6 Million watching it 5 times each!!!!!
RIP Silent Hills
dias17se
Just Passing Through

Post by dias17se »

Yeah it´s a cool demo, i´m sure it appeals everyone.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

I know I keep watching the trailer over and over again. Love that moment of reveal!
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Basically, I spent today talking to old employers and recent (as in, the last two or so years) friends and realizing that they have no idea I'm a Silent Hill fan, and that I replay SH1 every year. It's because the series has frankly become depressing enough that it never comes up in conversation: I buy them out of obligation, more than anything else.

Honestly, I was about to stop.

Now, however, I'm talking Silent Hills with my old boss and trying to get snotty girls lordin' it over me to put it on their PS4s.

The effect is already felt. Now I just hope the game lives up to it. :)
Matt S
Gravedigger

Post by Matt S »

I definitely agree with the positive effects - I'd kinda let the series collect dust for years on my shelf, but not now!
RIP Silent Hills
Droo

Post by Droo »

People on my Facebook who have never mentioned Silent Hill that I can ever recall were talking about it, so that's an indication to me of how widespread this has pierced public awareness.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

When we were discussing whether Kojima would be right for the Silent Hill series, this is a point I tried to raise: the best thing about having Kojima on board is the attention it would bring to the series. That was most vital thing that the series needed, and now it has it, and it finally feels like there's some hope. I have to say though that Kojima really went above the call with this P.T. demo, he's really exceeded my expectations. It was a brilliantly done marketing gimmick. If the actual game can be executed half as well, then I'm very excited for the future!
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

I was surprised when my sister told me over the phone that she and her boyfriend were playing through P.T., though she referred to it as Silent Hill, and that they were both scouring the net trying to solve it. She doesn't really play video games outside of her cell phone and stuff like Mario Kart. Though she knows I like playing Silent Hill. So, yes indeed, the demo has gained a lot of traction. Konami will no doubt want to keep that momentum going even if they haven't got much to show for it yet outside of P.T.

From what Kojima has tweeted, location scouting still seems to be ongoing, so the actual game is still in pre-production and will likely remain so until MGSV has shipped.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

I too noticed some friends mentioning the PT in conversation, people who are not at all fans, so I picked up it was an excellent commercial and very smart move.

Kojima's really done a perfect first step. Now, let's wait for the next one.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Yeah, i said this before, but i mentioned playing this demo to my mom, and she actually knew what i was talking about, she was like "that's that new scary game with the guy from walking dead in it right?" I was pretty surprised. This was a great way to get some hype/attention around the series. Now the pressure is on to deliver a great game.